What are your opinions on Super Paper Mario?

Between the story and gameplay, was it a good game?

• Gameplay was great, story was great

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Gameplay was great, story was bad

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Gameplay was bad, story was great

• Gameplay was bad, story was bad

• I have never played this game

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
Super Paper Mario seemed to have mixed reception among the fans, so I'm going to see what the consensus here is on it. Are you one of the ones like me who loved it, or do you hate it. Also, do you think it should get a sequel down the line? (after a few traditional Paper Mario games of course)

None of these options. Custom option: Gameplay was bad, story was OK. I think I expected the gameplay of SPM to be like the previous two, and was not, and it just kind of ruined it for me. Story was decent or good, but not great.

Toothless said:
Story was decent or good, but not great.

Yeah, at times it feels overrated since the humour is the main thing going for it. The gameplay is alright, I'd need to try it for myself sometime but the switch might be too much of a turn-off for me. :dk:

The gameplay was alright, though the story was boring. Most of the music in that game were annoying.

characters were good, music sucked, gameplay was alright and the story was entertaining

3D Player 2004 said:
Terrible game in every way.
Terrible is not a word to describe it. You can't even compliment it's soundtrack or story?

I kinda liked it. I just hated the blocky NPCs. And didn't this game have 2 Mistakes, I never understood the point of the other one.

Game was great, the story was excellent (in comparison to the other Paper Mario games), music was great, gameplay was different but it was still good...

And I find it far from overrated. They changed the battle system so that it was more like a platformer, and suddenly people completely discard the game like how many Zelda fans discarded Wind Waker because of the cel shading. It's different, but it's not bad.

YoshiGo99 said:
[...] I just hated the blocky NPCs [...]

Yes, this. The design of the NPCs really bugged me for some reason...

But overall it's an awesome game with an enjoyable plot and a unique charm to it.

It was a full-frontal collission between a bad RPG and a mediocre platformer, with no survivors.

Super Paper Mario was a great game, I just prefer the first 2 games for requiring more strategy and having you to think a little more. For example, you can pretty much just get away with KOing the enemies using Cudge or Boomer, and then using Peach's Umbrella Shield when necessary (which is why she was my most used character). Meanwhile in the first 2 games, you have to think on what Mario will do and what your partner will do, you need to setup your badges, use your items and change partners smartly, know how to (Super) Guard and do Action Commands successfully, etc.

It still felt Paper Mario-esque though, unlike Sticker Star. I would much rather have Super Paper Mario over Sticker Star any day.

The story wasn't bad, and some soundtracks are pretty cool (I always loved Soft Light and Proof of Existence), but I still find TTYD has the best soundtrack. =P

Never played it.

I liked the easy sidescroller gameplay, how Bowser, Peach and Luigi were on the roster, and the hefty, srsbsns plot. Plus you get to fight Satan during the Apocalypse after failing your quest in a destroyed world, getting murdered on-screen and having to climb up to Heaven from Hades - that whole sequence was pretty cool coming from a Mario game of all places.

Granted, there were some things I disliked and some wsted potential here and there, but while it's not perfect, I still loved the game overall.

Walkazo said:
hefty, srsbsns plot. Plus you get to fight Satan during the Apocalypse after failing your quest in a destroyed world, getting murdered on-screen and having to climb up to Heaven from Hades - that whole sequence was pretty cool coming from a Mario game of all places.

...I think that's a reason some people think the plot is cringe worthy.

I think the story was terrible and the gameplay was ok at best.

Baby Luigi said:
Walkazo said:
hefty, srsbsns plot. Plus you get to fight Satan during the Apocalypse after failing your quest in a destroyed world, getting murdered on-screen and having to climb up to Heaven from Hades - that whole sequence was pretty cool coming from a Mario game of all places.

...I think that's a reason some people think the plot is cringe worthy.
excluding Bowser that was like the best part of SPM imo

Back