• Donald Trump

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
Doctor Walter Bishop said:
Toothless said:
Also Andrew Jackson/Johnson? No...

Screw you and screw you

Johnson was fantastic
I hope you are being sarcastic, because Andrew Johnson is one of the worst presidents we have ever had.

I'd vote for FDR, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington. I'm contemplating Lyndon B. Johnson for his good policies and helping to stop racism, but the Vietnam War ruined him.

The worst presidents have to be Harding, James Buchanan. Reagan is pretty awful as well, despite how he's somehow held in high regard by Republicans (even though he has raised capital gains taxes, refrained from cutting on Social Security, supported gun control, gave amnesty to many illegal immigrants, and a few other things).

Viridi said:
Morty said:
If you've paid attention to any news about the budget within the last like 4 years you'll know that NASA already is having all of its money siphoned away, causing things like the Space Shuttle Program to be forced to end. Additionally, cancer will never be cured because there's nothing to cure. It's not an infectious disease or anything and it does not have one cause or one mode of attack or anything; it's an umbrella term for cells in your body that recklessly and endlessly multiply until bad *bleep* happens so divesting all of NASA's money to "cure cancer" will doubly be a waste.
I'm aware of how cancer works and that what we know about cancer is that it can't be cured. It's possible that there is a cure, however unlikely.
Space research can help cure cancer (to an extent) if they find new technologies or something. There is no "cure for cancer" unless there's a treatment that stops all sorts of cells from multiplying rapidly, and it can accommodate for all those variables that trigger the tumor in the first place.

Maᴙio said:
Reagan is pretty awful as well, despite how he's somehow held in high regard by Republicans (even though he has raised capital gains taxes, refrained from cutting on Social Security, supported gun control, gave amnesty to many illegal immigrants, and a few other things).
aren't those all things you like?
Maᴙio said:
Viridi said:
I'm aware of how cancer works and that what we know about cancer is that it can't be cured. It's possible that there is a cure, however unlikely.
Space research can help cure cancer (to an extent) if they find new technologies or something. There is no "cure for cancer" unless there's a treatment that stops all sorts of cells from multiplying rapidly, and it can accommodate for all those variables that trigger the tumor in the first place.
yeah. basically what i'm saying is that we don't know everything and it's possible there's something out there we just don't know about yet

Those things she listed doesn't outweigh the bad things Reagan did methinks

oh okay

well, if you're expecting a president to be perfect, prepare to be disappointed! every single one of our presidents has done something bad, even lincoln (suspended habeas corpus) and fdr (japanese interment camps)

It's kinda bad how some presidents must partake in actions that might favor the general public rather than morally correct* decisions if they want to get back in office. Reality stinks at times.

It's just that some presidents are better/worse than others. Everyone can agree that Buchanan is an awful president.

*which also depends on the person but I digress

Buchanan is terrible yeah, although I still think Andrew Johnson is worse. Come to think of it, Lincoln has been sandwiched between two terrible presidents.

OMG, not to go slightly off topic, but this is somewhat related. In 8th grade, our class went through every president in order. When we got to Buchanan, one of my classmates said "I am a descendent of Buchanan. Isn't that great [teacher]" The teacher gave a nervous laugh and was like "Uhhh, you will see." And like in a couple of minutes later, my classmate said she was ashamed of her family.

Viridi said:
oh okay

well, if you're expecting a president to be perfect, prepare to be disappointed! every single one of our presidents has done something bad, even lincoln (suspended habeas corpus) and fdr (japanese interment camps)
I'm not.

I even think it would've been better if FDR went further, for instance, but the court got in the way a lot. And he was responsible for Japanese internment camps. However, I think these "bad" decisions were the result of a difficult situation rather than a truly bad one.

Theodore Roosevelt is another president I really like, despite his Imperialist policies at times. However, his push for increased regulations for worker safety and stuff is amazing.

Maᴙio said:
And he was responsible for Japanese internment camps. However, I think these "bad" decisions were the result of a difficult situation rather than a truly bad one.
If by "difficult situation" you mean "born into a society that was racist against the Japanese", then I guess so.

I'm personally more impressed when someone can overcome the societal racist attitudes of their times, or at least partially. If you look at contemporaries such as Patton and Eisenhower, they were at least able to deal with other races impartially even though they were most likely racist (Patton's confirmed for this, Eisenhower not quite as much).

oh also patton's racism actually led to him suspecting that japanese on hawaii were spies and he predicted pearl harbor because of this. fun fact

Toothless said:
Buchanan is terrible yeah, although I still think Andrew Johnson is worse. Come to think of it, Lincoln has been sandwiched between two terrible presidents.

OMG, not to go slightly off topic, but this is somewhat related. In 8th grade, our class went through every president in order. When we got to Buchanan, one of my classmates said "I am a descendent of Buchanan. Isn't that great [teacher]" The teacher gave a nervous laugh and was like "Uhhh, you will see." And like in a couple of minutes later, my classmate said she was ashamed of her family.
James Buchanan get's a lot of shit for things he couldn't avoid. The civil war was always going to happen it was the only way slavery was going to ever end. Hell in a different climate Buchanan could have been one of the greatest Presidents in the history of this country (also side note he was totes the first gay president and was totes fucking William R King)
Also I hate when people rag on Warren G Harding. Other then the Teapot Dome Warren G Harding had a great record and should be considered at the very least an average president if not one of the better ones

Toothless said:
Toothless said:

Screw you and screw you

Johnson was fantastic
I hope you are being sarcastic, because Andrew Johnson is one of the worst presidents we have ever had.

well he didn't hold every citizen south of the M/D Line responsible for high treason which was cool

Toothless said:
Toothless said:

Screw you and screw you

Johnson was fantastic

well he didn't hold every citizen south of the M/D Line responsible for high treason which was cool
Also refused to protect the rights of Black People

Ripper Roo said:
Toothless said:

James Buchanan get's a lot of *bleep* for things he couldn't avoid. The civil war was always going to happen it was the only way slavery was going to ever end. Hell in a different climate Buchanan could have been one of the greatest Presidents in the history of this country
Buchanan made it worse though, if I have recalled correctly. That's the problem, he supported the Dredd Scott decision and was generally inactive. I mean, at least Hoover did something in the midst of the Great Depression, and he has gotten a lot of undeserved flack.

Maᴙio said:
Ripper Roo said:
Toothless said:

James Buchanan get's a lot of *bleep* for things he couldn't avoid. The civil war was always going to happen it was the only way slavery was going to ever end. Hell in a different climate Buchanan could have been one of the greatest Presidents in the history of this country
Buchanan made it worse though, if I have recalled correctly. That's the problem, he supported the Dredd Scott decision and was generally inactive. I mean, at least Hoover did something in the midst of the Great Depression, and he has gotten a lot of undeserved flack.
You mean he supported the Supreme Court's decision? you mean the thing that's supposed to make the decision on the Constitution? What the hell was he supposed to do? Tell them he disagreed and try to outlaw slavery which then bam civil war.
The only way to avoid the Civil War would have been another compromise which would have kept slavery in place. The Civil War was always going to happen and nothing Buchanan did or could have done would have changed anything

Since we'll be getting a new one soon, I bumped my favorite presidents thread and reset the votes.

Edit: I feel like I need to reiterate that you can vote for as many as you want. I say this because someone has voted only for Obama.

I voted for George dabble u because he has the hottest mixtapes, they can even melt steel beams

Although the poll is out of date due to Donald Trump being president, I'll list my top five favourites:

1. Donald Trump
2. Grover Cleveland
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson

Warning: politics and strong opinions ahead.

Mmmm, I do like FDR, Theodore Roosevelt (he had imperialist problems though), Jefferson, Lincoln, and LBJ (Vietnam War tho), and Eisenhower gets some points for being among the last sane Republicans, but it's much easier for me to list which presidents I dislike the most: Trump, Bush Jr., Harding, Jackson, and Reagan.

I saw my old post back in 2014 and if I knew some global warming denying racist sexist Neo-Nazi apologist proto-fascist reality star would become president, I'd be completely disgusted.

For real, probably Obama. He was a mediocre leftist at most, but he managed to get some semblance of healthcare passed despite constant republican bickering and filibustering. And being black man with a non-Anglophone name, although a sign of progress, really exposed many Americans' nasty side and showed the progress what still needs to be made.
Thanks as well to the people of Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, and Pennsylvania for giving us the current bellend in power. I hope you're fucking proud of yourselves.

For all of Obama's flaws and also being too cozy with bailing out banks and kinda not being liberal enough (in my opinion), at least he took global warming and healthcare crisis as credible threats (though IMO he didn't go far enough, but to be fair, Congress is hostile to climate change legislation too), treated foreign politicians with respect (unlike Trump and how he treated the Puerto Ricans, with three months without power, three months!, by personally attacking their leader and leaving residents weeks without aid which made me legitimately angry and upset), and is just overall qualified and full of composure, no scandals. It's really too Obama's healthcare legislation cost him seats in Congress, U.S. desperately needs a better healthcare, not another tax cut that heavily favors the top of society and only has short-term benefits for the working class.

I'm sorry if you like Trump, but the moment this administration attacks provisions of the Migratory Bird Act, it gets personal.

I'm the weird person who also rates climate change as the top threat for everyone in the future, my biggest issue, though healthcare and the ongoing income inequality gap is also a pressing issue for me too.

I've no qualms saying what a **** Trump is. When your candidate goes into "Mexicans are rapists" and "Punch him in the face; I'll pay for your legal fees" and "grab her by the pussy" territory, I do absolutely think anyone supports him's a bad person. You just are, especially if you didn't agree with his bigotry but voted for him anyway. I find it extremely difficult to be friends with someone who sees this bloke and concludes "Yes, this is who we want in charge of America's executive".

Brexit, I can forgive because it was an event/process that has numerous unseen consequences, and is much more open to projection. I can understand why folks who aren't racist at all would vote, even though it was mostly a right wing populist vote. But Trump? He was a specific person who said specific things. There's no excuse for voting for him.

Back