Nintendo 3DS question(s)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Maybe a general topic for 3DS questions but for now, I have a serious question.

So for a while, I've been noticing that the touch screen on my 3DS is wonky, it doesn't work right, specifically it thinks I'm tapping a different part of the screen then what I'm actually tapping (it's either slightly to the right or to the left... or somethings, I don't even know). I've tried calibrating it, but it doesn't seem to work. I was thinking about sending it into Nintendo ti possibly fix, but then I had another idea.

I'm interested in getting a 3DS XL, or even a 2DS, but I don't want to throw out all the save data, downloadable games, or my Mii and Streepass Plaza data. Is there any way to transfer the data from one 3DS console to another?

Icemario said:
Take out the SD Card of your 3DS and put it in the other handheld?
My Streetpass data, as well as data saved on the 3DS itself and not the SD card won't be transfered that way, though.

Icemario said:
Probably not, though this might help.
That's exactly what you're supposed to do.

Also, what's the deal with people making threads for questions they could have easily googled the answer to?

Lakituthequick said:
Just putting a SD card in a foreign 3DS will make it's data unusable in both.

Oh wow, I didn't know that.

Though I've actually already posted a link of Nintendo describing the System Transfer process in my last post.

Icemario said:
Lakituthequick said:

Oh wow, I didn't know that.
Well, it works this way. The parent 3DS will write it's data to the SD card with some encryptions and keys and stuff that will make that SD card only usable in that 3DS. Should a 3DS get a SD card that doesn't fit with it (empty SD cards don't fit too), it will reformat some stuff in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder, including setting it's own keys, which overwrite the previous 3DS' data, if present. The data already present is no longer usable.

While the original 3DS will still remember which games you purchased and allow you to re-download them free of costs, save data is lost forever.

Icemario said:
Though I've actually already posted a link of Nintendo describing the System Transfer process in my last post.
Noticed it after I posted mine. Sorry.

It's still not much of a surprise Nintendo made a way to prevent duplication of eShop software, though is the SD Card still usable in either (or at least the original) 3DS after the overwrite messes up the data if you delete it, assuming that's possible?

Lakituthequick said:
Icemario said:
Noticed it after I posted mine. Sorry.

No harm done, I was just letting you know.

Lakituthequick said:
They have a entire function for this called System Transfer.

It's in Settings.

i put my sd card into my friend's 3ds to try and download something, and although it didn't work, my thing worked fine

Super Saiyan Shy Guy said:
Copy the data from SD card to computer for a back up save
Hey, I actually did that!

Yeah, I managed to figure out how to transfer my data, both on my old 3DS and on it's SD card, which is good, because the 3DS XL has a 4GB SD card and I'd rather use that then the 2GB one I had with the regular 3DS. I'm actually worried that I didn't do something right, or that it won't work since I just copied it from my original SD card, but hopefully, things will turn out fine.

So yeah, that's my problem solved, anyone else having 3DS problems?

Smashgoom202 said:

Yeah, I managed to figure out how to transfer my data, both on my old 3DS and on it's SD card, which is good, because the 3DS XL has a 4GB SD card and I'd rather use that then the 2GB one I had with the regular 3DS. I'm actually worried that I didn't do something right, or that it won't work since I just copied it from my original SD card, but hopefully, things will turn out fine.
You really should buy a bigger SD card, if you can afford it. Just a suggestion.

Aiko Heiwa said:
Smashgoom202 said:

You really should buy a bigger SD card, if you can afford it. Just a suggestion.
I'll keep that in mind. How big can SD cards go?

Officially, the 3DS supports SD and SDHC, which go up to 32GB.

Unofficially, if you reformatted an SDXC card, it should work with the 3DS, meaning you can get completely ridiculous amounts of memory if you really wanted to.

Vommack said:

Unofficially, if you reformatted an SDXC card, it should work with the 3DS, meaning you can get completely ridiculous amounts of memory if you really wanted to.
128 gigabytes to be exact.

(32 gigabytes is more than enough, imo)

Aiko Heiwa said:
Vommack said:

128 gigabytes to be exact.

(32 gigabytes is more than enough, imo)
Given that 1GB = 8192 blocks, unless you plan on swearing off physical cartridges for all eternity, 32GB should be enough. Buying the largest-size SDXC would just be a huge waste of money.

^Is that the 256GB one? I've got a fuckton of memory just with a 64GB SDXC card. I can't fathom what I'd do with four times that.

Going by the official standards, SDXC is defined to go up to a whopping 2TB.

Yeah. The largest I've heard of is 256GB, but I mean, holy *bleep*, we live in a world where the idea of 2TB of data in a package the size of your fingernail is entirely plausible.

Back