Just got back from Best Buy (SmashFest story time)

-----

the coolest dude ever
Pronouns
he/him
OK, so...
2:42ish P.M: I got to Best Buy. First thing I notice; not as big of a line... yet.

3:00-4:00 P.M: blah blah blah, long wait, go through line, get posters (2DS poster 4 life =b), get streetpasses (83!), people start showing up, etc, etc, etc; Strangely enough, they had 3 TV's set up; one with N64 Smash, one with Melee, and one with Brawl, all running on their respective consoles. (except for brawl on wii u)

4:00 P.M: Suddenly, the purpose of said TV's is revealed; they're meant to help alleviate the wait in line! Luckily (or unluckily?), I was far enough ahead that I got to skip the previous Smash games.

4:25ish P.M: Wii U demo unit in sight...and a Nintendo representative comes up with a 3DS XL and asks me if I want to play. I wonder "huh?", then I look at the game... it's Smash 3DS, more specifically, the Smash Run mode! So, I pick Little Mac, and I go through the 5 minutes of normal Smash Run (which really does feel like just the Subspace Emissary on trial mode, didn't really note enemies and stuff, sorry X_x) and I end up having to do a Flower Match. We all have the damaging flower on our heads, and it was on the NSMB2 stage that Sakurai recently revealed. (This is against CPU's btw) and after a 2-minute match, I won! I was holding the 3DS in just the right way to allow people to really see Smash Run itself, and it got people more hyped to play!

4:45ish P.M: Next up comes the BIG one; Smash for Wii U. The only options available were Pro Controllers, and I'll say it right now: Pro Controllers are probably best/second best controllers for this game. The right analog stick does Smash Attacks. B is special moves, A is regular moves. X and Y both jump, but I assume hitting up on the left analog stick still works. ZL and ZR do shields, while L and R grabs. It feels VERY natural. The player who hit START got to select the stage. Without knowing, I hit START, and suddenly I was picking the stage. I picked Wily Castle. Once again, I picked Little Mac. My opponents were a Bowser, a Megaman, and a... Pikachu? (Can't quite remember.) Bowser was being played by someone around 20-25 years old, while Megaman and Pikachu were being played by two sisters about 2-3 years younger than me.

Anyway, the game began, and I could immediately feel the difference between this and Brawl. It's certainly much faster, but still just slow enough to keep you focused on your character. First thing I noticed? COMBOS. Yeah, it's entirely possible to string together a combo or two of basic moves; especially with Little Mac. Little Mac, believe it or not, is AMAZING at recovery. Screw the normal recovery, always use his side special, even if you're in the air; there's a good shot you'll make it back.

So, I don't remember HOW long each match was, but it's the same as the E3 demo, so just figure it out yourself; same characters, same stages. Anyway, at the very end of the first match I played, Megaman got the final smash, got me caught in it (I was in the lead), and suddenly nearly the middle of the animation... "5, 4, 3, 2, 1!" and right before the beam fired... "TIME!" Yes, items were on, and so were stage hazards.

Second match. Battlefield. This is where I realize; Little Mac does not do well in small stages. First of all, he's pretty fast. Might be just as fast as Sonic. Secondly, Little Mac against a Bowser, a Rosalina/Luma, and a Kirby on Battlefield? HELL. Rosalina has Luma of course; which really is a lot more annoying than you think. Kirby's Final Smash is so damn OP, it hurts. (I was THIS CLOSE to getting Giga Mac! Would've been cool.) Bowser has definitely been improved; better jumping, yet weaker attacks. Faster speed, but less knockback. Even with all of that, he can attack fast to make up for the weakness. I got last in that match.

4:55ish P.M: Leavin' Best Buy. This is where I realize the line WENT OUTSIDE. Suddenly, I felt much better that I got there early. :P

now POST YOUR STUFF

Nearest Best Buy doing this Smashfest is like 25 miles away from the Best Buy in my town. My parents will be like wtf, it's just a game. If only I could drive (just another year), I would go there myself. I wish they had more than just 3 Best Buys doing this in Illinois, and 2 are in the Chicago area.

Gutseh please tell me what the song was on Wily's Castle. I'm assuming it's the one from Mega Man 2/Mega's reveal trailer.

The nearest one for me is a 30-minute drive from here. We decided to not go yesterday because we had storms and traffic. However, I'm hoping to play it on Saturday.

Rocket '3Koon said:
Gutseh please tell me what the song was on Wily's Castle. I'm assuming it's the one from Mega Man 2/Mega's reveal trailer.

i think it was a megaman 2 medley of sorts for the demo; i could hear a part or two of airman's theme

either that or i'm hallucinating and it was the music from mega's reveal trailer/MM2

I heard a MM2 melody during the tournament, and I'm not crazy because they played on that stage three times. I only heard the title and the Wily 1-2 theme though.

Minor question, but what do you know about the taunts and victory poses (if you saw them), do characters still have 3 taunts like Brawl, or have they gone back to 1 taunt per character?

Characters seem to have three taunts. The characters seem to only have one victory pose, but this is still an early build, so there will probably be more.

Call me a Smash hater, but somebody has to pay me $100 for such a morbid wait.

I have my own little Smashfest story to tell ^^

When it goes right down to it. I essentially waited about half an hour to play a game for 2 minutes. But considering it's a new installment of my favorite video game franchise ever. It was still worth it. I did have my 3DS to keep me occupied until I finally got there. And at least the line wasn't as long as the horror stories about Smashfest lines being so long that they go outside the store.

When I finally got there, I chose Sonic pretty much immediately. The other 3 players chose Mario, Greninja, and Villager. Our stage was Mushroom Kingdom U. When we started playing I noticed how much I wasn't quite used to the Classic Controller controls still and am pretty glad that there will be a Gamecube controller option. (Even if I already got my Gamecube control with those Mayflash Gamecube controller adapters.) But anyway, I managed to do fairly well still. Though I can't even remember how I really got three KOs. I remember most about the match itself is trying to get the Smash Ball. There was times I was close but the Greninja player got it. Though luckily I was not hit by the Final Smash of Greninja. Time ran down and I thought actually that the Greninja player one since I actually didn't know how much damage I did. Turns out I did well enough to draw a sudden death with the player. And with a single homing attack I managed to win the Match. Making my experience even all the more worth it: I didn't just wait a half an hour for two-minutes of playing Smash 4 about a half a year early but I was also there to get my first Smash 4 victory~. After that I proceeded to pre-order both versions of the game and waited for my Parents to come back and pick me up while they went to dinner and/or some shopping. 2 minutes is not really enough to give a really big impression on Smash 4. But I can say I'm liking things so far. I love how Sonic looks and he does seem a lot better then he was in Brawl already. The Homing Attack has been buffed really well, and gave me the victory in Sudden Death at the end. What was funny is as Sudden Death began, someone shouted "Kill Sonic!" and then I proceeded to win the match and I don't know if it was the same guy. But I saw someone in a Luigi outfit tell the person who played Mario "How could you let Mario be beaten by Sonic?" heh heh. >:]

It was short but sweet. Giving me a taste of the game before I have to wait another 5 months for the 3DS version and 6 or more for the Wii U version of which I got to try out today. A 30 minute drive followed by a 30 minute wait in line for a 2 minute match where I win a match in Sudden Death as Sonic in Smash 4? Yeah, totally worth it :)

Back