Tyrell Badd

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Chat Administrator
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Gamefreak75
Anyone else looking forward to this game? It's claymation and it looks great.

Another Kirby Canvas Curse styled game?

I was hoping a Kirby styled game for the Wii U but I'm not necessarily opposed to this either.

I'll get this, love me some Kirby (even if I barely own any Kirby games). Looks interesting as a follow-up to Canvas Curse, a game i never played.

Hyyyyppeee. It actually looks like Canvas Curse if it was more like the other Kirby games (i.e. the style of levels and the existence of actual bosses).

Why is this on the Wii U? It looks like something that should be on the 3DS.

yeah, this doesn't feel like something that really needs to be on the wii u. they're probably just trying to put everything they got onto the wii u now, i guess

i'm not really liking it. those games where you have to guide things never work out for me

Unfortunately, I don't see how multiplayer can work here. :P

New Super Mario said:
meh. Honestly not all that interested.
and
Seadramon said:
Why is this on the Wii U? It looks like something that should be on the 3DS.

Not slightly interested, Kirby series always had great games new ideas.. but this one is a bit boring IMO.

Looks like the game will support multiplayer, though I doubt my mates will want to play it much.

The multiplayer looks cool. I just hope it won't break the game. Noticed that the characters a nerfed with only two health, so I hope they won't be a real letdown for Kirby.

Also, this game has Amiibo support... I wonder what that means. Probably skins or something for Kirby.

Ok, the game is released in America and Japan (Europe has to wait forever for some reason).

I've beaten the first 2 worlds. The soundtrack is great.

All I have to say that if you liked Canvas Curse, you'll probably like this game and if you hated Canvas Curse, stay away from this game.

I've seen some video of this. It looks pretty great. The style, the gameplay, the music, all really good.

My only complaint is that there are only 5 unique bosses. yeah 6 of the 8 bosses are either clones or have clones. Which is reeeaaallllyyyy lazy imo.

Overall, this game looks solid even though I probably won't play it any near future.

Well I bought this for a friend so...

I played and liked Canvas Curse so I might like this game

Ok I beat the game a while ago but never wrote about it. Anyways, it was a good game, but it probably isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

One thing I will note that while this is a sequel to Canvas Curse, it is mechanically different. While Canvas Curse was more fast-paced and about momentum (i.e. certain medals needed quick timing and speed), this game is more slow-paced and more about something I'll call "line management". In CC, you could only draw one line at a time, but in RC you can draw multiple lines, which is necessary as this game has far more environmental hazards (bombs, lasers) than CC, but it is a mixed blessing... Even then, I will reiterate the fact that if you did not like Canvas Curse, you will likely not like Rainbow Curse despite their (moderate) differences.

Now for my criticisms, there were 2 game design peeves and 2 personal peeves I had with this game. Regarding gameplay:

1) First and foremost, there are a lot of bullshit treasure chests in this game. Some of them are in timed challenge rooms, each only giving you 15 seconds to complete it/reach the goal. Mess up and that's it, you can't retry unless you commit suicide, or in some egregious cases, restart the level since there's no way to kill yourself. Others are one-chance things that happen throughout the level, be it through falling chests or puzzle pieces that need collecting. Mess those up and you'll have to commit suicide. Especially annoying on auto-scrolling stages. I can't tell you how many times I committed suicide because I fucked up on one slight part in one of the puzzle rooms or restarted an entire level because I was 1 nanosecond too early to get the falling chest.

2) Yes, as some may have heard the bosses get repeated which is a real shame because the unique bosses are some of the best parts of the series, imo. Granted, they're not completely rehashed as they have a few minor differences, but for the most part they are the same. At the very least, I have to say that the second boss, while a bit annoying, is the perfect boss for this game as it incorporates the line management part I mentioned earlier.

Now on a personal level:

1) Meta Knight and Dedede only appear as figurines in this game, which is a shame because they were playable in CC. I would've at least liked them to make a cameo in the story or one of the levels, but I guess it's better than not showing up.

2) The (true) final boss fight needed to be at least one phase longer, imo. Not going to spoil it, though.

With all that said and done, I really love the figurines and diary entries (see current avatar) and the game does look really fantastic on the TV.

By the way, the music is fantastic and you should all listen to the soundtrack. It's composed by Shogo Sakai, the same person who composed the music for Mother 3 and Kirby Mass Attack. I mean not all the songs are winners, but there really a lot of great tunes in this game, and that's not even mentioning some of the remixed music like 3K posted above. Here are my top 5 original favorite songs in the game (spoilers):

So good:

So yeah, you should listen to the soundtrack on YouTube at the very least (the channel I took the videos from has all of it uploaded). I'd also like to hear others thoughts on the game if they had bought it.

Just one question: do you think the reviewers' scores were fair to this game?

Back