• Nope cause im too lazey

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Nope cause im too stupid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope cause im some other excuse

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
No
Because I am trying really hard to get one but I always get rejected at interviews because I am useless when it comes to people.

Don't give up, Lily

I had to go through like 50 le trashmans trashing my resumes (mcdonalds wouldnt even hire me!!!) and then FINALLY I GOT HIRED at the place I'm at now.

And I'm socially awkward as fuck but my boss says I'm good with the customers so w/e, just keep trying and you'll get a job eventually

It's less of a part time job and more of a summer job, but I work for my dad in his machine shop

I get minimum wage and put two-thirds of that a week towards car insurance for my truck. $33 a week doesn't sound amazing, but hey, no bills to pay.

I clean, help with pet projects, and occasionally run some of the simpler lathes and drills

I'm learning to code for the large CNC machines, which is actually a very good paying hobby and would be pretty useful in a couple years when I start college

The best part is that the machine shop is like two yards away from my house

Nope. I'm 13, and I'm unsure of what Australia's legal work age is.

Well I am only eleven, so...

Not currently because I'm studying full time, but hoping to get one in time for next semester because I only have the one class (which isn't a full time load). If I don't get a job there's a chance I won't be able to support myself, and this is the last class I need to finish to get my degree. :<

I've contacted my old workplace and they seem to be interested, but there's been a lot of restructuring in their IT department so they don't know what work is currently / will be available. Fingers crossed, I guess. If I do go back there I'll probably be working on product development and not support development, which will be glorious because having to do bug fixes all the time got a bit annoying at times.

Pink Gold Giga12 said:
Nope. I'm 13, and I'm unsure of what Australia's legal work age is.
It's 14 (or 14.5) iirc, though I've known people who have gotten jobs earlier and worked in, like, fish and chip shops and stuff.

Phantom L said:
No
Because I am trying really hard to get one but I always get rejected at interviews because I am useless when it comes to people.
tumblr_n6a9uzVkfk1qd673co1_250.png

I was the same, I didn't get my first proper job until I was about 21, and not from lack of trying. I also found it's especially hard to get one if you're not much of a people-person as well, particularly when most jobs available to teenagers are just in retail and fast food which involve a lot of, well, people-personing.

Rocket '3Koon said:
Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
I want a job, but I need to drive first. I can't get around without a car. The worst thing is, I don't even know where to start. Yeah, driving, but once I get driving, what do I do? Walk right in and say, "Yo, I'm looking for a job. Is this the right place to ask?" That doesn't seem appropriate. I lack social graces, probably since my parents are overprotective of me, so I'm not confident at all.
Most companies handle applications over the internet, in my experience. Fill it out then do a follow-up in person at the place you applied to but I wouldn't say "yo." Sites like indeed.com are good for looking for potential places of employment.

itt: threek gives job hunting advice
Funnily enough, my old workplace actually makes those online applications and controls most of that field in Australia. I guess the irony is that I ended up working for the company that made the stuff that constantly rejected me from things.

Hotaru Tomoe said:
i don't have a job cause i'm too busy adjusting to school life and having to do homework to think about getting a job

Crocodile Dippy said:
anyway I work part-time as a cleaner at Westfield Fountain Gate shopping centre, which the Aussie users here may know as the second largest shopping centre in the country. It's an alright job, and it pays fairly well for what it is.

i went there like 3-4 years ago and all i remember is that it was really huge and there were only two games shops, eb games and gamestation or something like that (which i guess is only one since iirc gamestation was part of the game brand and they kinda died a little while ago, which is a shame since that gamestation was like the best game shop i've ever been to)
I'm guessing you mean Gametraders. Also yeah, there used to be a few of them around, but they've gradually been closing each and every one that was close to me. Fountain Gate is like, a 15-20min drive from where I live, but about 2hr by public transport which is an absolute joke. Rip getting retro games for me (unless I go to Cash Converters).

The dead game shop that broke my heart the most was Video Games Heaven at Knox. I'll always resent Osmosis for stealing their awesome location under the foodcourt and EB Games for effectively running them out of business. Though for anyone who happened to see their moved location (which was eventually replaced by GAME, which also went out of business) and their cool retro games collection in the windows, well, yeah, I totes cleaned those during my Yr10 work experience.

The Gametraders at Fountain Gate closed down over a year ago, so it'd be a waste coming out this way for that anyway. The only dedicated games retailer we have now is EB Games, but as you know they're not exactly a brilliant source of retro supplies.

After my exams finish in two weeks I'm going to apply somewhere. And if I get rejected we're doing work experience later this year and they told us to do it in a place we're interested in working in so I might be able to get a placement at the local paper, and maybe if I'm good enough get it as a part-time job.

Crocodile Dippy said:
The Gametraders at Fountain Gate closed down over a year ago, so it'd be a waste coming out this way for that anyway. The only dedicated games retailer we have now is EB Games, but as you know they're not exactly a brilliant source of retro supplies.
Oh really? Good thing I wasn't planning on going out that way then. :b I'd never go over there just for a game store when there's Ebay, but it is sad to see it gone.

I work part-time at a little store selling bird houses, bird feeders and bird seed. It's a nice place - customers are almost all friendly, and it's got a comfy family-run store feel: everyone assumes I'm the boss's daughter, lol. I run the store by myself most of the time I'm in (which varies wildly from week to week on top of my regular Sunday shift), and aside from dealing with the customers, entering invoices and bank statements, vacuuming and other odd-jobs, I spend the rest of my day screwing around on the Internet. I'm posting this from work, in fact.

Back