Character Moveset Speculation: The Legend of Zelda

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Same as before, speculate movesets, doesn't have to be too detailed, give good reasoning behind suggesting a character, this isn't really meant to be a debate topic, have fun.

The Legend of Zelda is an interesting franchise when it comes to Super Smash Bros. because up until this point, the only playable characters from the series are the main trio of the series: the hero Link, the titular Princess Zelda, and the main antagonist Ganondorf. And aside from Zelda's alter ego Sheik (who really has only bee in one game and isn't all that relevant these days) and at least one other incarnation of Link, they hadn't had any other characters from that series, which is strange considering there is a lot to choose from. Of course, given the nature of The Legend of Zelda series, and how it's hard to tell where and how each new game will fit into the timeline, and just how relevant said characters in the game will be in the long run, it' shard to pick characters from the series to represent in Super Smash Bros. despite that, I can think of a number of characters they can include this time around.

For example, Ghirahim form The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword seems to be a really popular choice fore new Zelda reps. Oh, BTW, I'm about to divulge into some Skyward Sword spoilers, so... This is your warning for any who hasn't completed it yet... Ironic that I said that, considering I haven't completed it yet. Despite that, I still know some major things, such as
the fact that even though Ghirahim his the most prominent antagonist from the game, the TRUE main antagonist is his master, Demise... and apparently when he's defeated, his hatred fro Link and Zelda gets reincarnated through Ganondorf, which is... kind of weird and silly, but whatever, maybe it'll make sense when I actually see it.
In fact, that seems to be a regular thing to say that
Demise to be a playable character over Ghirahim, given that he's the true antagonist of the game.
I honestly don't agree sense
Demise doesn't show up until the end of the game,
whereas Ghirahim is seen throughout the game... Besides, I can easily imagine Ghirahim's Final Smash being
him turning into Demise's sword and Demise attacking!
Not to mention,
Demise seems really big an bulky, to the point where he'd almost be considered a Ganondorf clone... if Ganondorf used a sword. And I think it would be a REALLY dumb move to replace the series main antagonist with the antagonist of one game that just so happens to prelude Ganon.
But that's just me. That aside, seeing as I haven't played that far into the game (it's pretty dense, I haven't even gotten to the second fight with Ghirahim yet), I can't really suggest THAT much for Ghirahim's moveset, but I WILL say that he has enough going for him that it shouldn't be too hard to think of some original moves. Not to mention I find Ghirahim rather intriguing on his own.

Other then him, the one other character from The Legend of Zelda series that feels long overdue for a playable appearance is Tingle. Yeah, I know, a LOT of people really don't like him. Hell, I don't really care for him all that much. That being said, he's super popular in Japan (Hell, he got THREE spin-off games, that says a lot!), not to mention, if there's one thing I've learned from recent experiences with character suggestions, it's that the more off-the-wall a character suggestion is, the more interesting moveset they're likely to have, and the more fun they'll be! Tingle, being an INCREDIBLY off-the-wall character, feels like he has a lot of weird eccentricities that can be made into moves. Obviously his recovery would be his balloon which, like the Villagers Balloon Trip balloons, can be popped if enough damaged has been dealt to it. I'd also like to think that a lot of his Special Moves would be based around rupee collecting, that's that's one of the two or three things he's best known for, the other two being map-making and generally being weird and obnoxious. While I'm not sure how map-making can be incorporated into his moveset, if there's anything Wario's proved, it's that weirdness definitely can be beneficial for making a moveset. His Final Smash I feel could be him shouting "Kooloo-Limpah!", and acting like Luigi's Negative Zone where weird random effects happen. Hell, I'd play the crap out of a character like Tingle, if they made him like that! :P

Now there are several other characters I had in mind, but couldn't think of decent enough movesets. Impa was most prominently in my head, since she's pretty much the only character besides Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Tingle (I guess), and maybe the King of Hyrule, to consistently be in multiple games, typically acting as an aide of Zelda, but unfortunately, I couldn't think of a moveset that wouldn't be so incredibly similar to Sheik, or a good enough Final Smash. Tetra had a similar problem; I DEFINITELY like her a lot more then Sheik (pirates rule), but I can't think of many unique moves or a Final Smash. Yeah, I guess I'm not very creative when it comes to original moves... though that's only because I want characters to truly represent the games their from, and I'd like to see attacks based on what they did in the games. That's not to say I'd exclusively want characters who fit that mode, but it does mean I'll be hard pressed to think of many completely original moves for them.

Also, Vaati is a character I've wanted to see playable since Brawl, in that he's the only other major recurring villain in The Legend of Zelda series besides Ganon himself, AND he has a different build compared compared to Ganondorf to entice a completely different moveset. Since he's described as a "wind demon" (despite originally being a Minish and changing into a humanoid), I could see him using a number of wind-based attacks, plus he can use that sphere attack he used at the beginning of The Minish Cap. His Final Smash would DEFINITELY be transforming into his more iconic one-eyed demon form. the only reason why he's not higher on my list despite still wanting him is that I feel like Ghirahim has a better chance at being in Super Smash Bros. over him since, despite being in more games, Vaati isn't really all that major of a villain in the grand scheme of the Zelda timeline, not to mention there is a distinct difference between Zelda games that feel like spin-offs (most of the handhelds) and main Zelda titles (Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, etc.).

And those are the characters I'm mostly interested in seeing playable. I've seen suggestions like Deku Link and ESPECIALLY Skull Kid and Midna (both of whom are mere Assist Trophies in this game), and I'd be cool with them too (if they weren't deconfirmed). ...Of course, I would LOVE to see Groose playable, being the best character in Skyward Sword, but he doesn't have that much going for him and quite frankly, he doesn't seem like THAT popular of a choice... *sigh* A man can dream, though.

If we had to have another Zelda character, Tingle would be the way to go. Unique, popular in Japan, three spin-offs, relevant again due to Wind Waker HD.

Godzilla said:
If we had to have another Zelda character, Tingle would be the way to go. Unique, popular in Japan, three spin-offs, relevant again due to Wind Waker HD.
I know people who would rage if he was put in.

I would rejoice if Tingle was the new Link character. :D I really would.

Back