General Discussion

Yeah, it's a Porple thing afaik.

But just so you know, a handy way to type Japanese quotes (as opposed to copy&pasting) without installing a keyboard or an extension onto your browser (i.e. Kitsune for Firefox) is to use Google translate (like, the actual site, not the quick tool that appears on Google searches). When you start typing in the to-translate box set to Japanese, a あ box should appear in the bottom left and if you click it, it'll start turning your romaji into kana and kanji. I.e. if you type "nani" it'll offer なに as an option; hit enter to lock that in, or space to give you a drop down menu from which you can choose the kanji 何, the katakana ナニ, or any number of kanji and/or kana combos (use the up/down keys to get to what you want, then hit enter). You can do it on word at a time, or whole sentences, or more, if you're feeling confident.

Walkazo said:
installing a keyboard
personally i find this to be the most convenient option when it comes to typing in japanese. if you haven't done it already, finding the option to add keyboards in the control panel is pretty straightforward if you're using windows (and i think moreso if you're using a mac but i haven't used one in ages so). it's completely worthwhile imo as you can type directly into any input form without the need to copy-paste characters

walkazo's given some great alternatives otherwise tho [nobbc]:P[/nobbc]

Yeah, I installed a keyboard, and it's dead handy. Alt+` and away you go.

Although I think it gives my computer headaches to run it - startup in particular gets laggy, but that could just be my computer being shitty and underpowered in general.

So I contacted Porple about this and he responded. There is a problem with the Javascript though, and I can't do any programming language at all, so help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Since we're going through terminology overhaul after overhaul, can we just change that "sprites and models" into, uh, something else? As pointed out a lotta posts ago, they aren't models, they're renders of models. So I think we can change it into "sprites and 3D renders", but then, most artwork are technically 3D renders too.

I used to say that they're "models", but I'm a little bit more well-articulated in modeling field (I'm pursuing video game modeling as a career after all), so I find that term a bit silly.

I don't know if it sounds pedantic, but "sprites and models" doesn't leave a particularly good taste in my mouth. What's pedantic is "sprites and 3D renders that are not artwork".

Looking through older discussions, I've see some issues that need to be resolved:

Mario RPG infoboxes in the List of statistics section
Licensing template for 3d renders that are not classified as game artwork

The last comment about the Mario RPG infoboxes was a resolution issue, but is it even possible to adjust the table layout to make it more apt for those resolutions?

we could modify the sprites liscensing template to accomodate for 3d renders since they're legally about the same thing

Should we remove Buzzy Beetles and their subspecies variants from the Insects category? They're as much as beetles as those certain Volkswagen cars are beetles.

I guess. Confused readers will probably keep putting it back,but whatever, it's not like it'd be the first time people don't use categories correctly...

Mario Party Σ said:
Should we remove Buzzy Beetles and their subspecies variants from the Insects category? They're as much as beetles as those certain Volkswagen cars are beetles.
Yes!

I have a question: should we give the paper form of Mario a separate page on the wiki? I get why we didn't do it in the past, but with the release of Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam it's something to at least consider.

That's also being discussed here (Talk:Paper_Mario_(series)#Now_that_Mario_.26_Luigi:_Paper_Jam_is_a_thing...).

A page for "Paper Mario (character)" will probably be necessary for M&L:PJ, although then there's the question of whether all the PM series stuff gets split like Dr. Mario, or just the one game. Plus the other duplicated characters, but then what of characters in both series who don't appear in both/either form in this particular game? or other subjects like places, enemies, etc. It's a bug headache, frankly. Overall, I think it'd probably be best to wait until we have more info, but on the other hand, random readers might just try to update it in the meantime and do a bad job of it... It'd be nicer if we had more info right away to try and work with, but nope.

Also, I'm hoping they'll be a separate playable Paper Mario in SSB4 before too long: then we can use that name instead of messing around with "Mario (Paper Mario series)" or "Mario (Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam)"

I suggest perhaps semi-protecting possible pages related to this game so we don't have inexperienced users just jumping straight in and creating articles and categories. Honestly, I'll take a cautious approach this time, but it won't stop pages being created.

I'd just stick with "Paper Mario (character). If we make stuff like Mario (Paper Mario series), then we might have to do Mario (Mario & Luigi series). Mario from Mario & Luigi does look like the Mario we know while Paper Mario has a more stylistic difference.

This just in, Nintendo once again does whatever it wants with the Mario franchise at the expense of the wiki.

cannon.jpg

In other news, I am so sick of arguing about wiki organization you have no idea.

Anyway, it's not really feasible to try and guess all the pages that people might make and protect a bunch of redirects and redlinks n' stuff, which will also complicate matters if and when we do feel ready to start making pages. Better to just try and keep an eye on things and delete them when they're made prematurely. The category stuff isn't a problem as far as the game's organizational dubiousness goes, however as the rename of (Super) Mario Maker recently showed, it's generally better to wait until any game's close to release before setting up categories, just in case they all need to be replaced.

Oh, no, I'm not trying to advocate guessing and protecting page names, but I think the more obvious ones should perhaps be barred from page creation from inexperienced editors so it won't open a can of worms. Or the more repeatedly recreated ones.

As for waiting until release until making categories, that, I totally agree. Just look at what happened to Super Smash Bros. for 3DS / Wii U for goodness sake. Maybe we should protect the category names for THAT.

Luckily, while going through Mario's talk page, an irritation has came back to me, and that's Mario's "aliases". Some are nicknames. Most are insults. Somehow, being called something different from your name is an alias. Isn't alias by definition same as persona? I've been called "flat-chested" one time, does that mean my alias is "Flat Chest"?

I say we remove the petty insults and keep actual aliases like Great Gonzales, Dr. Mario, Jumpman.

If not, then just call it "other names and insults people call Mario". And change the description to "Throughout his illustrious history, Mario has been referred to as various names besides "Mario". He has also been insulted frequently. Here is a listing of his aliases and personal insults from Mario games and The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!!. "

Being called "big bro" does not a separate alias make.

Bowser also has a similar list, but I suppose we can keep the Mario Party 2 ones.

Perhaps the information is interesting useless trivia (and I love useless information), but don't call it "aliases".

I'm in favour of simply scrapping the entire section, including the actual aliases, since any moniker that Mario actually adopted would have certainly been covered in the actual article body. I don't see much of a benefit to having a list of them. While we're on this topic, could something be done about Mario's occupations (Mario#Occupations)? Besides how laughably uninformative it is, it lists one-off "jobs" like Mario as a soldier (Mario's Bombs Away) (which doesn't really seem to be the case?), Sensei (which barely even counts (Jinx)) and "President of Mario Toy Company"(which is reading into it too much imo) right alongside Mario as a plumber, doctor, and carpenter... though he doesn't really plumb, carpent, or doctor much even when he's supposed to be in those roles, so the entire idea of listing his occupations just seems fruitless from the start.

Sportsperson, tho.

I'd keep the occupations though since I find it interesting trivia for Mario. He's a versatile character, so I think we should somehow list the occupations rather than "Mario is versatile. As well as being a plumber, he is seen as a carpenter, referee, toy company manager, tennis player, doctor, wizard, a karate fighter, and many more". The problem is that vague "many more" statement.

I might want to remove it though, since Mario does technically qualify as a window cleaner, pilot, astronaut, football player, homemaker, boxer, and a lot of other things if you take several things into account. He's a video game character designed to fit in many roles, so it is probably silly; just because you see him break-dancing doesn't make him a professional break-dancer. Being a professional drifter in motorsport is also an occupation too, do we list that?

It's there, actually, under the wonderfully-generic term of "sportsperson". Because, of course, listing Mario as a tennis player, football player, baseball player, golfer, snowboarder, and athlete would just be silly.

Referee is conveniently in there too. But where would astronaut, window cleaner, pilot, homemaker, rapper, and break-dancer go?

Yes, Mario is a professional rapper, too.

Singingm.gif

Hey guys? Want an easy way to experience neck-pain? Then edit the List of species article to accommodate the recent proposal banning subspecies

But seriously I need help

Actually, if you just change the opening statement to say that the indented stuff are derivatives, rather than subspecies, that page is fine. Better to stay focused on getting rid of "subspecies" from across the whole wiki.

-___-

It's not like you can simply undo my edits, I actually have done some formatting and reorganizing in the article

Well this would suffice as assistance. Thanks~!

Why did you delete your post?

I noticed more info and then the computer started spazzing and preventing me from modifying it in a timely manner, so I tried to delete the post before it gave you bad advice. Guess it didn't work, fml

But ANYWAY: modified ruling is, while the other master lists don't group their subjects, I feel like species and enemies lists overlap too much, so it makes sense that this one does things a bit differently.

Unfortunately, replacing the groupings is actually going to be more tedious than finishing the job, since alphabetization can actually be automated using Excel, like I said in the deleted post (which I tried to copy since I didn't want to have to rewrite the explanation, but NOPE, computer decided that wasn't happening, argh)

On the other hand, though, "Big", "Dark", and "Mini" etc. enemies are grouped conveniently together too...

Back