Riivolution help with replacing files?

Re: Request: Brawl SFX replacement?

Baby Luigi said:
Yes, icon and portraits are totally replaceable. Just be wary of file-sizes: I forgot which one, but the common with CSPs is the one that may crash your game if it's too big. You also need to put some files in other areas. The sc_selcharacter_en.pac, sc_selcharacter2_en.pac, and sc_selmap_en.pac (found in a common#_en.pac file in X:\private\wii\app\rsbe\pf\system) should be in X:\private\wii\app\rsbe\pf\menu2 or else it will crash the game. Again, I said that some files need to have an _en added or the game may not read it. It applies to some stage hacks as well.

You can modify the smashbros_sound.brsar with the latest version of brawlbox. It goes in X:/brawlmods/music/

You can open .xml files with notepad without any sort of issues. It's a bit complex to look at at first, but it does tell where the areas of the game should be patched.
How do I take files out of the .pac? Is that what I need to do, remove the sc_selcharacter_en.pac and sc_selcharacter2_en.pac and put them in the menu2 folder? Because I extracted one and it became a folder, not a pac file. I'm confused

You can just right click them while in BrawlBox and click "Export". Easy.

Baby Luigi said:
You can just right click them while in BrawlBox and click "Export". Easy.
I did that and I got a folder though, called MenuRule_en rather than a pac file

Well, in BrawlBox, did you right click on the left blue or red section where it says "sc_selmap" or whatever? I don't have BrawlBox in this computer but it should be like this. I don't think you you have to rename it but if you can open that with BrawlBox and it shows the exact files, it should be fine to rename

If you're still having problems, you can also get clean ones here.

Should I go ahead and download all the files in that link to menu2? Or just some of them?

Ideally yes, but practically, you should download only the files you want to change

My link DOES have the entire Brawl partition anyway.

So to be safe I can just download them all and change whichever ones I want, just in case I may want to change the others later?

Looks good. I don't see anything wrong.

So now I can just modify those as I see fit in BrawlBox? Cool.

I tried to edit the Smashbros_sound file in SmashBox (and in a few other things) before, but it kept saying "unhandled exception has occurred." Why is this?

Yes you can replace files with BrawlBox. It's easy, but make sure your common.pac with the CSPs and the like don't get too big.

The latest version of BrawlBox (Brawl Box 0.71 or .72 I believe) can open smashbros_sound.brsar and edit it successfully (SmashBox and BrawlBox are two different things: you use SmashBox to make edits with sawndz but I find that outdated). For some reason, though, it might crash when opening an edited .brsar, something I don't know the fix to yet.

Baby Luigi said:
Yes you can replace files with BrawlBox. It's easy, but make sure your common.pac with the CSPs and the like don't get too big.

The latest version of BrawlBox (Brawl Box 0.71 or .72 I believe) can open smashbros_sound.brsar and edit it successfully (SmashBox and BrawlBox are two different things: you use SmashBox to make edits with sawndz but I find that outdated). For some reason, though, it might crash when opening an edited .brsar, something I don't know the fix to yet.
I opened it in BrawlBox and found the sound I wanted to replace; however trying to play it will give an unhandled exception, and when I click replace it auto-chooses raw data file as the extension. I need to put in a WAV file. Would that work?

Oh, just ignore the unhandled exception. Don't play it immediately after you replace it: give it 5 seconds or so. If it plays normally after you ignore it, it should be fine. Use .wav files to replace sound effects.

One more thing, try not to make sounds longer or higher frequency than they normally are. Too big sounds will silence that section of the .brsar until you lower file size. The ways you can lower file size is to decrease the frequency or make it shorter.

The original sound file (the one I'm replacing) wouldn't play, nor would any others. The new one still doesn't play either.

Can you play sound effects before you replace the sounds?

No, I click play and nothing happens. If I try to drag the marker across the line it gives an unhandled exception.

That's odd: Brawl Box 0.71 should play sound effects normally. That's exactly what I used to replace Mario Kart Wii sound effects with no trouble.

It may be because mine is v6.3d. But that was the latest one I could find, so...

No wonder

Try this:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=35494

Right now I'm redownloading the brsar file.

I opened mine in that new BrawlBox version and I couldn't browse it for it only had one un-openable file.

BrawlBox 0.71 should make fine sound replacements with a vanilla .brsar. That's what I used for Mario Kart Wii anyway.

Yes.

Basically.

It uses different programs (you need .szs modifier to modify menu contents, karts, characters, and the like), different files, and different .xml files but it's about the same method of replacing, so yeah. Technically, I can just hack Mario Sports Mix's .brsar file right now, replace the sounds, and patch it in the game without any tutorials what so ever.

Back