General Science Discussion Thread!

It's pretty shameful you'd rather make juvenile jokes based off male genitals rather than appreciate the beauty and creation of space.

Shameful.

I knew you weren't being serious, but come on now, the Pillars of Creation is one of the most spectacular images out there.

There's a bunch more of these images out there. It really makes me wonder and ponder about space.

It makes me ponder the important questions, like:

If the universe is infinite, then isn't there theoretically an infinite number of nebulae shaped like dongs?

I'm sorry I'll stop now

They're shaped like however you want them to be shaped, because those genitals are just psychological rather than actual. In the mean time, here's some more nebula pics

57329_151_jwfull.jpg

ic2118.jpg

Baby Luigi said:
There's a bunch more of these images out there. It really makes me wonder and ponder about space.
In the future when we all become robots we'll be able to explore space without need of oxygen. Thus openinig new windows in space travel.

2045 initiative my friend look it up.

Baby Luigi said:
They're shaped like however you want them to be shaped, because those genitals are just psychological rather than actual.

I now have a new favorite out-of-context quote.

In all seriousness, though, the top image is broken. That bottom one is pretty majestic, though.

ernesth100 said:
Baby Luigi said:
In the future when we all become robots we'll be able to explore space without need of oxygen. Thus openinig new windows in space travel.

I really want people to find a way to exceed light travel, because that's way too slow for exploration.

Amphituber said:
In all seriousness, though, the top image is broken. That bottom one is pretty majestic, though.

The top one is supposed to be the Orion Nebula. You can see it with the naked eye (in a good location mind you) whenever the Orion constellation is visible (under Orion's belt), but it's best viewed with a telescope and binouculars.

Maᴙio said:
ernesth100 said:
Baby Luigi said:

I really want people to find a way to exceed light travel, because that's way too slow for exploration.

If wormholes exist, we could use that to our advantage too but it's just a mathematical concept

Baby Luigi said:
It's pretty shameful you'd rather make juvenile jokes based off male genitals rather than appreciate the beauty and creation of space.

Shameful.
art is what you make it, i guess

i really have to suggest "how the universe works" on the science channel

it's a fantastic show and it's full of computer models and some actual pictures of how beautiful space can be

Amphituber said:
Baby Luigi said:
Dust clouds, yes. Haven't you seen pics of nebulas?

Pillars-of-Creation.jpg

these dust clouds get compressed by gravity and create stars, then they make planets

[/penisjoke]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*sees rest of topic*

oh...

So apparently people in diving suits get crushed into their helmets when the rope is cut in deep water due to the pressure...

Thanks Physics teacher. Thanks for the incoming nightmare fuel...

That's true: the reason we say that we know more about space than we do about our deep ocean is because of that immense pressure the deeper you go. You know that the atmosphere already exerts pressure on you, how about trying to go under that massive volume of water to boot? That's why we're still developing technology to conquer that as well as other things.

ernesth100 said:
Space is basically like Underwater. Except Space has a bit more harsh conditions.
actually no

while space is similar in that they're both hazardous to unprepared humans, it's different kinds of danger

plus space has different physics. if you go in a direction in space you'll keep going that direction indefinitely because there's no air/water resistance to stop you

Anna said:
plus space has different physics. if you go in a direction in space you'll keep going that direction indefinitely because there's no air/water resistance to stop you

unless you get pulled in by something with greater gravity

it really depends on how great your escape velocity is

That's kind of an understatement tbh

Back