General Science Discussion Thread!

Wolverine said:
Sven said:
Wolverine said:
Sven said:
Wolverine said:
Wikipedia's the best source, beating NASA and National Geographic
Regardless of your opinion on Wikipedia, stars such as UY Scuti and Westerlund 1-26 are very clearly bigger than the star you mentioned, and they're all cited with reputable sources.
I acknowledge this, but (s)he should use better sources in the future
...Seriously? Wikipedia is as much of a reputable source as anything else. As long as its information is cited, there's absolutely no harm in citing it. That's like saying that our MarioWiki is worthless, and I can tell you that everyone's work has certainly not gone to waste.
Consider this: Most Universities don't accept papers citing Wikipedia. Hell, even high schools won't in certain cases
...And your point is?

If you took the time to actually see if Wikipedia was credible instead of just miming the lectures of highschool teachers from 2008, then you'd see that wikipedia has gr8 references and if you've got an oldschool teacher who doesn't understand how technology progresses you can just cite those direct sources that wikipedia used and just not plagiarize the wikipedia page.

ernesth100 said:
No I mean like is NASA company working with Google?

I still don't understand if that's a real question because I just can't like wow please

ernesth100 said:
Well now I just feel stupid...then again half the people on this thread are using google and yahoo answers to reply so I feel a little better now.

tbh I pulled up the article via googling it to avoid trawling through this particular thread for too long because, oh it's such a wonderful thread.

also ily2 SM347 aren't you a little gem too. :birdo:

Sven said:
Wolverine said:
Sven said:
Wolverine said:
Sven said:
Wolverine said:
Regardless of your opinion on Wikipedia, stars such as UY Scuti and Westerlund 1-26 are very clearly bigger than the star you mentioned, and they're all cited with reputable sources.
...Seriously? Wikipedia is as much of a reputable source as anything else. As long as its information is cited, there's absolutely no harm in citing it. That's like saying that our MarioWiki is worthless, and I can tell you that everyone's work has certainly not gone to waste.
Consider this: Most Universities don't accept papers citing Wikipedia. Hell, even high schools won't in certain cases
...And your point is?
Don't use Wikipedia, use its citations

Wolverine said:
Sven said:
Wolverine said:
Sven said:
Wolverine said:
Sven said:
Wolverine said:
...And your point is?
dude

wikipedia gains its information from these citations

it's basically the same thing

Wolverine said:
Sven said:
Wolverine said:
Sven said:
Wolverine said:
Sven said:
Wolverine said:
...And your point is?
or a person could just use wikipedia itself and make sure the info is cited before using it

ernesth100 said:
NASA is inside of Google?
You really didn't get my post.

Don't know what a black hole is?
  • Type in Google searchbar.
  • NASA is, like the third result.
  • Click on the NASA.gov link.
  • Read.
  • Comprehend.

Wolverine said:
Why:
Wikipedia said:
We advise special caution when using Wikipedia as a source for research projects. Normal academic usage of Wikipedia and other encyclopedias is for getting the general facts of a problem and to gather keywords, references and bibliographical pointers, but not as a source in itself. Remember that Wikipedia is a wiki, which means that anyone in the world can edit an article, deleting accurate information or adding false information, which the reader may not recognize.

This isn't research paper either, so it's okay to link to Wikipedia on a MarioWiki forum conversation. Sheesh.

One of my teachers were fine with my using Wikipedia, but he told me to use it to gather general information, but not to cite it.

lakituthescientist, hi

so apparently males are more attractive than females in all species, said the great science teacher Mr. W*****.

ernesth100 said:
They accept wikipedia in my school as long as you use quotes.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
One of my teachers were fine with my using Wikipedia, but he told me to use it to gather general information, but not to cite it.

My school has always banned Wikipedia. If you use it, your mark would go down SIGNIFICANTLY.

Misty said:
lakituthescientist, hi

so apparently males are more attractive than females in all species, said the great science teacher Mr. W*****.

I wouldn't say "all species" because it isn't, but the males of a species tend to be more elaborate in order to attract a female for mating. Now, if it were the females fighting for the attention of a male, then they'd be more elaborate. Some species, both sexes look the same. I don't really know the proportions of each mating style but whatever that's the general idea. For an example I guess one is that the anglerfish females are the ones who actually...do anything, while the males, which are dramatically smaller, mate with the females by just attaching themselves to the female's belly and merging with it. Or something.

But it's not all.

Misty said:
lakituthescientist, hi

The Eclectus Parrots would like to have a word with you.

Eclectus_roratus-20030511.jpg

Back