The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Re: Zelda (Wii U)

Toothless said:
I like that child theory. I really do.

If that's so I hope his father is not celshaded.

Why would one character be cell shaded and the other one not? That would just look bizarre.

These stylized graphics were the way to go. Look at Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. Both came out during the GameCube era. Looking back on them now, Wind Waker still looks great while TP has aged poorly and the graphical shortcomings are much more noticeable.

GalacticPetey said:
while TP has aged poorly

How about no.

Well I'm sitll completely biased because I don't like celshading at all (except for in some games like Jet Set Radio where it's just utterly fitting).

Hopefully we are going to get massive open world Zelda experience that no one will forget. The fact it will be non-linear will open up a lot of potential. I can not wait until 2015 and I will respect the developers if it is (likely) delayed until a later date.

I honestly don't care if it's Cel-shaded or not.

And you shouldn't care. The graphics are amazing, and heaven forbid that there is cel-shading in this.

I feel like they did this to make a point that a game can look, feel, and be amazing without having to look "realistic" as possible. Besides, we've only seen a little teaser of the game, and everything was amazing about it, and the only criticisms about it is that Link-esque character at the very end, so I don't care.

My gripe I had with Skyward Sword and the art design was the fact that the enemies and the landscape looked terrible imo. Like, I appreciated the art style, but there was a lot of things I felt were not that interesting about it, and looked rather disappointing. I loved the character sprites and everything, which is what I'm not liking so far about Zelda U so much. But of course, it's grown on me already, so whatever.

This game is still in the works, so don't think that everything is smoothed over right now. I believe that another reason with the all the skepticism with the Link-esque figure is that when they showed it in the trailer, it was just a bad angle. When you look at the pics they have from outside the trailer, the character looks fine. It's just in the trailer they seemed rather off.

that first shot with link on epona and that landscape looked so epic. And then it went into celshading, and i was like "OH DEAR GOD NO NOT AGAIN"

"oh no celshading" - a person who isn't looking very far into the game

Yes, it's cel-shading. It's a technique. There are different styles of celshading, and it's pretty obvious we're getting a blend between the realistic and cartoonish. It works very well with the giant open-world concept and the different textures that they're using.

No-Face said:

Well yeah I'm usually not looking very far into those games because I can't bear them for any longer than a hour.

And I was really relieved when it was briefly shown that you can disable those outlines on the 3DS smash bros., so yeah

FЯЕ4КШ0ЯГD said:
Well yeah I'm usually not looking very far into those games because I can't bear them for any longer than a hour.

That's sad.

so your rejecting a game because it's cel shaded (i'm even sure it is anyone)
polls_stupid_3801_62859_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

No-Face said:

Yes, it's cel-shading. It's a technique. There are different styles of celshading, and it's pretty obvious we're getting a blend between the realistic and cartoonish. It works very well with the giant open-world concept and the different textures that they're using.
Wait, what?

How does the choice of cel-shading impact the open-world design at all?

NSY said:
so your rejecting a game because it's cel shaded (i'm even sure it is anyone)
polls_stupid_3801_62859_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

To be honest, I don't really mind when people don't want to play a game because they don't find it visually appealing. That is unless they walk around constantly screaming how bad and fugly the game is and they're being obnoxious jerks about it.

I can't get into Final Fantasy 7 for the same reasons. I don't mind low-polygon models at all, in fact I love games like SM64 and Banjo Kazooie. But don't make me play as stick figures made of tooth picks and flesh-colored grapes please.

That said I am ok with the cell-shaded look. For me Zelda just works the best with a somewhat more cartoony or manga-esque flair. Zelda trying to be all gritty and dirty and "realistic" usually comes across as laughable to me.

Viridi said:
No-Face said:

Wait, what?

I get the feeling that if they tried to recreate the landscape feel in a realistic style, it wouldn't look as good. But who knows.

GalacticPetey said:
It's funny because usually Nintendo fanboys are always preaching that graphics don't matter.

This isn't really a question of graphics, but aesthetics. In my book it's perfectly fine to reject a game for it's aesthetics, i.e. if you find the art direction and overall style of the visuals so disagreeable that it completely breaks your immersion. If that happens, you might as well put the controller down, because you're not going to get into the game anyway.

Bitching at a game for not being HD though is kind of crappy, especially when the system it is on cannot handle anything more advanced.

No-Face said:
Viridi said:
No-Face said:

Wait, what?

I get the feeling that if they tried to recreate the landscape feel in a realistic style, it wouldn't look as good. But who knows.
I guess, as Edo said, it depends on whether graphics are going to affect your immersion.

Honestly, I enjoyed Twilight Princess's graphics the most out of the series. It felt natural to me. But some people prefer cel-shaded, and that's fine.

No, I don't hate cel-shaded graphics (how can I when Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda?). But I personally feel that realistic graphics would be more immersive. Cel-shaded cartoon-ish stuff doesn't really get that feel for me.

Which doesn't mean I wouldn't like the game. It just means I wouldn't get that immersion that I get from, say, Skyrim.

The reason why I prefer cartoony over realistic with Zelda is that I often find Zelda to be very... "wacky", for lack of a better term. Like, you have a game like Twilight Princess, and the aesthetics are screaming "Look, this is very dark and serious and realistic", and in the next scene Link is shot out of a clown-operated cannon. There's a notable clash for me that makes it feel absurd. The clash is very amusing, mind you, but I'm not sure if that amusement is intentional.

Another thing is how polished and clean Zelda is. Like, not in the sense that there's no garbage lying around. I mean it's a game with very clear-cut moral alignments. It is always clear who the villain is, and that they are evil. Link is always good and his cause is righteous. There is little ambiguity, and Link is not really faced with temptation, or at least none he can act on. A colorful, cartoony artstyle feels natural for such a setting because it captures the overall mood of a clear-cut "good vs. evil, no questions asked" theme better.

Skyrim on the other hand is a very dirty game. No side is really 100% right, evil lies in the eyes of the beholder, a lot of people are jerks, racism is present everywhere, and everyone can die. And here as well the chosen visual style sells the mood nicely. Dark, unclean, realistic visuals make you grasp the nature of the setting you're playing in and enrich your playing experience.

Visual presentation is all about what premise you're trying to sell.

That's certainly true.

I just liked the look of Darknuts and Ganondorf better when they weren't cartoony. It wasn't really an immersion thing, it's just more visually appealing.

But yeah, cartoon-ish graphics do suit the series better... which I guess is why I like Wind Waker more!
>_>

I feel Ocarina of Time 3D nailed the style. It was cartoony, but not overly so like Wind Waker.

10426617_10152094264831447_782849541385100418_n.jpg

Someone made the shirt green and added the trademark cap, and...

I don't know why, but I instantly fell in love with this!!!

I still can't figure out why the original one bothered me so much (and somewhat still does). Like, I love the blue shirt so much too, so it's not that he's not in green...

Armin Arlert said:
10426617_10152094264831447_782849541385100418_n.jpg

Someone made the shirt green and added the trademark cap, and...

I don't know why, but I instantly fell in love with this!!!

I still can't figure out why the original one bothered me so much (and somewhat still does). Like, I love the blue shirt so much too, so it's not that he's not in green...
Calm down they've basically showed nothing of the game. :P

But yeah, I like the art style. I don't think it beats Skyward Sword's watercolor style though.

Back