The current state of Nintendo

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
Okay, real talk now. I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but recently they haven't been doing well. I'm sure you all know that the Wii U is selling very poorly right now. Iwata himself has even made a statement about it and has taken blame. But that's the least of the Wii U's problems. Few games, little to no third party support, horrible online play, and being severely underpowered compared to the XBox One. and PS4. Nintendo really needs to get their act together. No, I'm not one of those doom and gloom theorists who think Nintendo will go the route of Sega. Trust me, Sega had a whole bunch of shortcomings that lead to them no longer making consoles.

Another issue I want to bring up with Nintendo is their IPs. It's been said a million times, and I'll say it again. Nintendo heavily relies in the same IPs over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Zelda and Pokemon. Hell, Ocarina of Time may be my favorite game of all time. However, Nintendo can't just rely on Mario and Zelda to carry a console. Like I said in another thread, Mario has been really hit or miss lately. Ranging from great games like Dark Moon to really bad games like Sticker Star, or just plain bland and forgettable like NSMB2. The 3DS has proved that plenty of other Nintendo franchises can be great. Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, and Animal Crossing have all been some very well received 3DS games.

So what's the bottom line? The Wii U is on really thin ice right now. 3rd Party support is crucial if Nintendo wants to succeed. In addition, Nintendo needs to not just sit and pray that Mario and Zelda keep their systems alive. Why not give us an HD Star Fox, Metroid, or F-Zero game. Better yet, why not give us some new IPs? Stuff like The Wonderful 101 is a step in the right direction. Miyamoto has already said he's working on a new franchise. I'm very interested about what he means. Let me reiterate, I still like Nintendo and I love my Wii U. I'm incredibly hyped for the new Zelda and Smash. I just feel that Nintendo really has to adapt to the changing market.

So what do you guys think?

Meh, I think the main reason the Wii U is doing poorly is that there are no games on there.

Let's wait and see if Mario Kart 8 and Smash helps Wii U sales.

BTW, I think calling Mario "hit or miss" is a bit extreme. Mario has never gotten any terrible games per se, just either a bit over average or great.

To be honest, the Wii U will do fine. The games will come, the online will hopefully improve, and the Wii U will eventually be maxed out in the next couple of years.

And I also think that Nintendo will bring back several dormant IPs, like F-Zero and StarTropics, as well as new IPs like Miyamoto's new one.

PeskyPlumbers64 said:
To be honest, the Wii U will do fine. The games will come, the online will hopefully improve, and the Wii U will eventually be maxed out in the next couple of years.
It's not that simple. Online doesn't simply improve. Their entire online system needs an overhaul.

Sure, first party Nintendo games will come, but what about third party support? Aside from Bayonetta 2, there's not much in the way of solid, exclusive third party games. Sure, there's stuff like Arkham for Wii U, but while the games are fun, there's not much reason to buy the Wii U vision over others. Though Arkham City Armored Edition did have all that DLC already on the disc, which was nice.

Ganondorf said:
Okay, real talk now. I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but recently they haven't been doing well. I'm sure you all know that the Wii U is selling very poorly right now. Iwata himself has even made a statement about it and has taken blame. But that's the least of the Wii U's problems. Few games, little to no third party support, horrible online play, and being severely underpowered compared to the XBox One. and PS4. Nintendo really needs to get their act together. No, I'm not one of those doom and gloom theorists who think Nintendo will go the route of Sega. Trust me, Sega had a whole bunch of shortcomings that lead to them no longer making consoles.

Another issue I want to bring up with Nintendo is their IPs. It's been said a million times, and I'll say it again. Nintendo heavily relies in the same IPs over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Zelda and Pokemon. Hell, Ocarina of Time may be my favorite game of all time. However, Nintendo can't just rely on Mario and Zelda to carry a console. Like I said in another thread, Mario has been really hit or miss lately. Ranging from great games like Dark Moon to really bad games like Sticker Star, or just plain bland and forgettable like NSMB2. The 3DS has proved that plenty of other Nintendo franchises can be great. Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, and Animal Crossing have all been some very well received 3DS games.

So what's the bottom line? The Wii U is on really thin ice right now. 3rd Party support is crucial if Nintendo wants to succeed. In addition, Nintendo needs to not just sit and pray that Mario and Zelda keep their systems alive. Why not give us an HD Star Fox, Metroid, or F-Zero game. Better yet, why not give us some new IPs? Stuff like The Wonderful 101 is a step in the right direction. Miyamoto has already said he's working on a new franchise. I'm very interested about what he means. Let me reiterate, I still like Nintendo and I love my Wii U. I'm incredibly hyped for the new Zelda and Smash. I just feel that Nintendo really has to adapt to the changing market.

So what do you guys think?

I think that was a lot of talking :P

You got a point, I've been dying to try to get the 3DS because of the Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.. only this game, seriously only this, no other games interests me. I had enough of Mario, so LMDM looked like a good game, nothing else is good, I bet If Smash didn't become a good sale, the Wii U will fall.

Yeah, the 3DS has many great games, not all of them are Nintendo's too.

...nothing interesting on the 3ds you say?

I dont know about that i mean i feel like there are some pretty good games on it as ive come across a lot i liked but hey thats just me.

I think a major problem of Nintendo's nowadays is not enough (or poor) marketing. The Wii U has been portrayed as an "upgrade" to the Wii instead of as an entirely new console, and off-TV play hasn't been mentioned as often as it probably should have been mentioned. The PS4 does something similar with the Vita, if I understand things correctly, though. Third-party companies are reluctant to support the console because they still don't really know what they'd be supporting, and first-party games are too infrequent to maintain or encourage substantial consumer interest.

Ah yes. I can't believe that I forgot to mention marketing in my post. You said what I would've said. Nintendo's marketing has been very poor recently. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to people that the Wii U is a separate console.

IMO I think the Xbox One looks more like an upgrade than the Wii U

but don't quote me, that's just me

Ganondorf said:
Really? Nothing else on the 3DS interests you?
I refereed to non-mario games. If they get counted then

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Super Mario 3D Land too. Other than those, not really

Baby Luigi said:
IMO I think the Xbox One looks more like an upgrade than the Wii U

but don't quote me, that's just me

well technically speaking newer systems are pretty much upgrades in most cases.

Oh god, no. I'm not even reading this. Abandon ship!

He had a bad experience in the Wii U GameFAQs board, me thinks

And it's a terrible place

Baby Luigi said:

GameFAQs boards. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Ganondorf said:
Baby Luigi said:

GameFAQs boards. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Hey, don't diss my sister's favorite vacation spot!

Even then, Baby Luigi refuses to post in the Wii U message boards.

Ganondorf said:

Ganondorf said:
Baby Luigi said:

Do you guys stalk me online or something?

I thought this was going to be either some kind of gloom and doom fest or a pathetic Nintendo pity party like what I see on "the forum that shall not be named" but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I do agree that Nintendo does need to improve, but part of me doesn't really care since for some reason I seem to literally be a Nintendrone. I am programmed to basically adapt to whatever Nintendo is doing and love whatever they do and ignore their flaws. To be honest, I do this with everything in gaming. As a result, I'm usually a bit dumbfounded when I hear flaws about anything gaming wise.

To be honest, Nintendo basically has made and is making my dream games on this console and I would like to suceed so all of my dream games are released on the console. (So far, my dream games that have not been released yet are DKCTF, YY, SSB, MK8, HW)

I can't really, compare Nintendo to the others since I never owned all consoles the last two gens. I had a Playstation 2 on the gen I started gaming and I guess the gamecube gamecube games looked a bit better at least to me. I had an Xbox 360 during Wii's gen and I guess Xbox 360 looked better than Wii. However, I didn't really care about graphics at the time and I don't care now. As long as the graphics are comprehensive and aren't a polygonal or pixilated mess *cough*like Data Design Interactive's games*coughs* I have no problem with them.

I don't keep up with specs. In fact, whenever I hear about stuff 1080p, HD, CPUs and the like I'm like "what are these people talking about" and I usually refer to these people as geeks or nerds because I understand how you need to know that much detail to compare a console. It's not a computer where this info would be relevant since they are very versitile, it's a game console where the real thing that is important in the games and how they use those specs. You can mention specs all you want, but if games don't put them to good use and aren't good to begin with, they are just parts in a plastic shell.

chillv said:
Ganondorf said:

Ganondorf said:
Baby Luigi said:

No, I just sometimes check the Wii U boards and I just see your name on there. You know I post in GameFAQs, right? The Wii U boards are awful, btw, and I suggest you stay away from it, since it consists nothing but hot gas and trolls.

Don't even begin to compare the GameFAQs Wii U Boards. And for those curious, you can look, but the sheer stupidity of some people will guarantee that it isn't a pleasant trip.

I really want Nintendo to succeed as well. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but I do acknowledge Nintendo's big flaws (such as lack of advertising and playing safe with games) and I want console gaming to succeed in general.

I don't care too much about specs. What I want are good games.

Baby Luigi said:
chillv said:
Ganondorf said:

Ganondorf said:
Baby Luigi said:

No, I just sometimes check the Wii U boards and I just see your name on there. You know I post in GameFAQs, right? The Wii U boards are awful, btw, and I suggest you stay away from it, since it consists nothing but hot gas and trolls.

Well, that's what I am attempting to do right now. I refuse to let those people waste countless hours of my life and countless hours of my freetime when I'm done with school, and I will be darned before I let them waste my weekend right after my semester.

chillv said:
I do agree that Nintendo does need to improve, but part of me doesn't really care since for some reason I seem to literally be a Nintendrone. I am programmed to basically adapt to whatever Nintendo is doing and love whatever they do and ignore their flaws. To be honest, I do this with everything in gaming. As a result, I'm usually a bit dumbfounded when I hear flaws about anything gaming wise.
This is a terrible mentality to have.

Ganondorf said:
chillv said:
This is a terrible mentality to have.

How? Also, I meant to say I don't really care what they do since I never had a problem and never will have a problem with what they do. In fact, I have no real problem with either of the three.

Blindly following a company is bad. Just going with everything they do is not a smart idea. If Nintendo fired tons of employees, kicked puppies, and made shitty games, would you still support them?

Back