Translation request thread

More quick Ashley stuff:

ashley_badge4.png

- "Also in the middle of true love's true love! Valentine's Day Ashley-sama~" (pretty weird one: "true love" is repeated for some reason - dunno if the whole thing's an idiom or something)
- "Holding [some] homemade chocolates while resting! Sitting Ashley-sama is also super-cute!"
- "Valentine's Day Ashley / Witch-in-training's homemade chocolates! [Will those who] eat it magically fall in love!?"

nintendo posted another ashley comic

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/kids/160401/band_brothersp/index_a.html

i'll try

Panel 1: アシュリー デビューライブ 会場
Panel 2: ワァー!
Panel 3: バーバラ: アシュリー たのんだよ!
アシュリー: バーバラさま、時給上げてね。 (ワーッ!ワーッ!)
Panel 4: バーバラ: わたしのプロデュースで、アシュリーをスターにすれば、がっぽりおおもうけよ!
Panel 5: ワーッ!ワーッ!
Panel 6: ....。
Panel 7: アシュリー: 歌詞... 忘れた... (ざわざわ ざわざわ)
Panel 8: Oh no (zzz....)
「アシュリー・ファンタジー バンブラPにて配信中よ!」バーバラ

Panel 1: Ashley Debut Live Hall
Panel 2: Waaaaa! (like a playful scream/shout i guess)
Panel 3: Barbara: Ashley, I'm counting on you!
Ashley: Barbara-sama, I'm being paid hourly, right?* (crowd cheering in the background)
Panel 4: If Ashley stars in my production, [there'll be] massive profits!**
Panel 5: (cheering)
Panel 6: ...
Panel 7: Ashley: I forgot... the lyrics... (audience begins to chatter)
Panel 8: Barbara: Oh no
Ashley: (zzz....)
'[the song] Ashley Fantasy, [is being distributed] in Band Brothers P!' - Barbara***

*initially i had (you're paying me hourly, right?) but I feel that would be more suited to くれて instead of あげて so
**she's basically saying she'll make bank and become filthy rich
***literally: 'Ashley Fantasy, distribution in Band Brothers P!'

I hope I could do this justice.

Sorry that I stupidly didn't ask here first and foremost, but I wanted to know what is written here in the caption, as it seems to talk about Bowser's design and the involvement of Kotabe and Tezuka in this sketch:
tumblr_o6q5417CSj1rrftcdo2_1280.jpg

DKCG_Cards_Millenium_-_Dogadon.png
DKCG_Cards_Millenium_-_Mad_Jack.png
DKCG_Cards_Millenium_-_Wrinkly_Kong.png
DKCG_Cards_Promo_-_Tiny_Kong.png
DKCG_Cards_Promo_-_Chunky_Kong.png

I want to know what is written on these cards, as I think the text on them could be worthy of adding to the character's "Official profiles and statistics" page/section.

^^ In addition to the above, I'd like to know if these cards refer to Candy Kong or Candy Clone. I can't find any "names in other languages" text on the wiki to match it myself.

DKC_CGI_Card_-_Char_Candy.png
DKC_CGI_Card_-_Shiny_Candy.png

The card shown below was already given the name "Robo Candy" from the source it was found. Could someone please confirm that?

DKCG_Cards_Shiny_-_Robo_Candy.png

His favorite food is crepes. That much seems true…
Man, Wario must have been such an enigma back then. The one thing they were sure of, and then it turned out to actually be garlic. Unless his real favorite is some ungodly combination of garlic and crepes... :-X

Asked this a while back in the KC Deluxe thread. Should probably have put it here - some questions on the Super Mario Land manga - http://imgur.com/a/BPYbA - not asking for a full translation, just a quick summary...

1) What's the deal with the robot costume Peach wears? I presume it's to do with her being jealous of Daisy, but why is it there, and what does "it" tell Mario it's doing there?
2) What's the deal with the Suu girl from Chapter 3? Does she get a name? Why does she go from trying to kill Peach to helping Mario in the boss fight - because he saved her? Why does she fade out in the end?

And names:
1) What do they call the goal tower? (pg 31)
2) Do the falling slabs on pg 36/37 get called anything?
3) Does the kill switch (which looks like a lever here, rather than the button from the game) that kills King Totomusu get called anything? Any suggestion on why it's there? (pg 45/46)

Shokora asked me to translate this page for him. Here's what I've got:

Tokyo, paradise for video gamers

Welcome to our preview of the Shoshinkai, the most anticipated exhibition of the video game industry. It will take place in late November in Tokyo, and the whole world is gazing intently towards the land of the rising sun-- after all, Ultra64 will be introduced there. Unfortunately, because of our editorial deadline it is not possible to report about the spectacle, which Ryuji Hagino from Work House will visit for you, in this issue. But to shorten the wait, he sent some interesting screenshots and information to the staff, which we will show you on these two pages! Have fun! (We don't know the German release dates for any of the games.)

Wario Cruise (VB)

An innocuous treasure chest turns out to be a low-down trap, and Wario finds himself in a subterrainan world. To ultimately claim the treasure he longs for, the Italian must fight his way through the numerous tunnels and caves. Apart from that, there's also a forest and a desert. Like with the Game Boy, Wario seems to be using his ram attack. It is not yet known if the famous special outfits from "Wario Land" will be in "Wario Cruise" as well.

Super Mario RPG (SNES)

The "Super Mario RPG" is already making huge waves in Japan. After all, it is a humongous 32 megabit spectacle. Thanks to modern rendering technology (like with "Donkey Kong Country"), every character and object in the game is beautifully three-dimensional. The SA-1 chip is responsible for providing the necessary speed. Mario is proficient in his usual ways of moving around, like jumping or running. He can also ride on a truck or the dinosaur Yoshi. Bowser also has his place in the game, and he has kidnapped the princess again. However, rumors from Japan are saying that he will be able to team up with Mario this time. Is this true? It would be typical for Square...

Of course the princess is nicely animated too. She is now able to show real emotions. She cries, gets angry, throws you a kiss (swoon!). On the subject of coming along: Up to two additional characters are supposedly able to accompany Mario. Incidentally, next to the already known bosses there are supposed to be some new, extra-nasty ones. We are sure you are now as crazy about "Super Mario RPG" as we are. Unfortunately it is not yet known when it will be available in Germany. But we assume: It will surely come in 1996!

On the subject of coming along:

"Thema mitgehen:" is not really a proper sentence in any way, shape, or form. It's just weird and strikes me as improper German. The literal translation would be "subject accompany:". The translation I used (based on "Zum Thema Mitgehen:") was the most sense I could make of it. But don't worry: At the end of the day this is just a transitional phrase with no actual information in it. So what I translated it as doesn't really matter.

Another thing: The article mentions two pages, so there's probably one missing.

Thanks Edo! It's interesting because, as far as I know that's the only proper preview of "Virtual Boy Wario Land" while it was still being advertised as "Wario Cruise". Pretty much all sources at that time were merely just listing "Wario Cruise" in their list of upcoming titles, or just being mentioned in passing without any actual substantial info.

Oh yes, there was a second page to that article that talks about Mario Clash (which was already released at the time of the magazine's publication). Here it is.

Does anyone know what "じれじれキノコカン" means?

It's the Japanese name of the Long-Last Shake, for the record.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot and misread じわじわ as じれじれ.

EDIT: Alright, the Japanese name for the Door Key in SPM is apparently "トビうのカギ". Anyone know what that means?

oh my god i can't tell the difference between う and ラ kill me

This looks like a good place to put this...

I just added the Japanese bios of the characters from the Game Boy Color version of Mario Golf. However, I know next to nothing of Japanese and used Google Translate to get the gist of it all, then cleaned it up by fixing spelling, grammar mistakes, etc. Not perfect, so if someone could go over my work, that's be appreciated :) The names I was able to figure out, but the bios are difficult, like in Grace's or Tiny's. All pulled from here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/awxj/button/index.html

Niiue said:
Alright, can someone translate:

ジグンのカギ

トビラのカギ

すみぢる

ツヨツヨドリンク

Key of Ziggun/Ziggun's Key (whoever Ziggun is)

Door key

Be creepy

Strength Drink

That's what I came up with.

Google Translate is good to "get the gist" of whatever you want to read, but I'd discourage using a machine's output on articles.

I get that. Which is why I'm asking for a more experienced Japanese reader to go over the link provided and revise the bios if needed. I have a chart that shows me the katakana, so I know I got the names right (probably), but the bios are complicated. I got most of the work done, I just need someone to proofread it.

PeanutButterGamer said:
This looks like a good place to put this...

I just added the Japanese bios of the characters from the Game Boy Color version of Mario Golf. However, I know next to nothing of Japanese and used Google Translate to get the gist of it all, then cleaned it up by fixing spelling, grammar mistakes, etc. Not perfect, so if someone could go over my work, that's be appreciated :) The names I was able to figure out, but the bios are difficult, like in Grace's or Tiny's. All pulled from here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/awxj/button/index.html

Niiue said:
Alright, can someone translate:

ジグンのカギ

トビラのカギ

すみぢる

ツヨツヨドリンク

Key of Ziggun/Ziggun's Key (whoever Ziggun is)

Door key

Be creepy

Strength Drink

That's what I came up with.

I got both "be creepy" and "ink jiru" for that one, for the record.

Alright, now that I found another name that uses it, new question:

What exactly does ぢる mean? Both Ink Sauce and Sap Soup have it in their Japanese names, and while
the Sap Muffin article claims it means "soup", I'm pretty sure that's not the case since other
soup items use スープ.

one of these days i'll stop getting so many things wrong

Back