Rick and Morty

Chuck Ballymoo

Blooper
Banned User
New Adult Swim show is a spoof on BttF.

Bump from an old thread, because this show is awesome and my favorite adult cartoon (though I don't even watch the other good adult cartoons though, it's the first one that i've gotten into because the adult cartoon genre is mostly blehhh from stuff like south park rip-offs).

You can watch various episodes on Adult Swim's official website if you're interested in it. I recommend it for anyone who's interested in an adult sci-fi cartoon that's mostly comedic and has bizarre, but interesting plots side-lined with several domestic ones.

Though season 3 is going to come out in 2017, like, whaaarrrgghhh

Yay another Rick and Morty fan!

So far, my favorite episode is the one with the Meeseeks in them.

i_m_mr__meeseeks_by_britt_britt-d7vnggj.jpg

Though I also liked Rixty Minutes and Get Schwifty, but seriously, there wasn't a single episode I disliked. The weakest one imo, is Interdimensional Cable 2 and the plot is just centered around a dick, something I'm not too keen on, but like always, there were a few good jokes and still sweet moments.

BTW, did you know that the show is primarily voiced by one guy? And the script is retro-scripted? It's very interesting to see how they actually manage to pull it off pretty awesomely.

Baby Luigi said:
Yay another Rick and Morty fan!

So far, my favorite episode is the one with the Meeseeks in them.

i_m_mr__meeseeks_by_britt_britt-d7vnggj.jpg

Though I also liked Rixty Minutes and Get Schwifty, but seriously, there wasn't a single episode I disliked. The weakest one imo, is Interdimensional Cable 2 and the plot is just centered around a dick, something I'm not too keen on, but like always, there were a few good jokes and still sweet moments.

BTW, did you know that the show is primarily voiced by one guy? And the script is retro-scripted? It's very interesting to see how they actually manage to pull it off pretty awesomely.
The first thing i do every single day i watch TV is check for new episodes on my On Demand. I remember seeing Anatomy Park and it was pretty hilarious when Rick enlarged the homeless guy to the size of the earth and the news says "Hopefully you're not seeing on what is happening in the Rockies" and it shows what is happening, i cracked up. I remember hearing that the show was based off "Back To The Future", i also heard that they will have a christmas special this christmas, i'm so hyped for the new episode.

EDIT: I loved it when Dr. Xenon realized there was a autopilot to the train and Rick revealing why Morty shouldn't date his assistant.

i think my least favorite episode was the gazorpazorp one

other than that though, yeah, it's usually a pretty strong show

i didn't like interdimensional cable as much as the first one, but i thought the dick plot was pretty clever. also they got werner herzog on the show, holy fuck

I myself don't have cable, so, waaaah I can't watch episodes that require a cable login. And I don't think I can watch the cartoon stream either.

I want to watch Anatomy Park, since that episode will rerun around 8:00 PM but as I said, no cable :(

got into it a few months ago while season 2 was still airing

honestly my favourite show on television atm (not that there's much competition really).

rick and morty 100 years rickandmorty.com

i can't believe people didn't like get schwifty

what is wrong with people

Greg Universe said:
i can't believe people didn't like get schwifty

what is wrong with people

wait people didn't like that.

what

Been watching this on TV since the new year, after being told by numerous folks that I'd love it, and they're right, I DO love it. Every episode gets better and better: it's wonderfully clever and silly and dark all at the same time. It's sooo hard to not go and binge-watch all the episodes, and instead stick to the one-per-week schedule, but at least that'll make it last a few months - especially seeing as season 3 will not be out for a while.

Today's episode was "Meeseeks and Destroy", and wow,

the bathroom scene and its fallout were amazing. I'm so glad it was played straight: all nasty and horrific, with genuine relief that Morty was able to fight him off, and then when he gets back to Rick and starts crying and just feebly wants to go home - man, right in the feels. And then even though he doesn't say what happened (which is also realistic), Rick figures it out the second he sees Jellybean limp out of the bathroom, and then shows how much he really does love Morty by dealing with it the most perfect way - not by making a big deal of what happened, which would just make the kid feel worse, but by giving him his happy ending. (And then killing the bastard that hurt his grandson, but again, in a way that doesn't re-traumatize him.)

So yeah, looking forward to seeing what comes next.

I've also introduced my twin to it and she laughs at it alongside me.

I still haven't watched all episodes yet, but as Walkazo said, it's really tempting to watch all of them, that's how hooked on I am.

Also, this post credits scene (from Something Ricked This Way Comes) is probably one of my favorites

tumblr_nwjx5vTB1z1ujuk5ho1_500.gif

Walkazo, have you also seen the post-credits scene of that episode? I liked it too.

For "Something Ricked This Way Comes"? Not yet (so not gonna click the spoiler) - I've only seen the first 5 episodes (Pilot, Lawnmower Dog, Anatomy Park, M. Night Shaym-Aliens!, and Meeseeks and Destroy): it'll be over a month until I get to that one (episode 9). But if you meant "Meeseeks and Destroy"'s post-credits scene, yeah, that was good.

Really hope they redesign that statue, tho. Just like, come up with some other better-PR reason, but still, just no.

I think my other favourite moment from the series so far is from "Lawnmower Dog":

"Where are my testicles, Summer?"

Also Rick's solution to "Anatomy Park" was great: as soon as I realized what he was going to do, I was like "omg".

But really, the show's like 90% highlights.

The show gets really dark and twisted a lot, and I think it's a good example of dark comedy. For the most part, it knows when it's appropriate to be funny and not. The "average" characters with Rick have realistic reactions to things too, and that's what makes those scenarios funny as well.
One of the darkest things in that show was that episode where Rick and Morty have to go inside to repair a car battery, so they leave Summer inside the spaceship. And the spaceship keeps saying "Keep Summer safe" but Summer has to witness someone getting cut to pieces by its laser and the person's friend make this legs go numb and in pain. Summer's reactions to this whole thing are perfect and she even tries the machine to get to stop hurting people, so the machine resorted to psychological pain. In the meantime, this whole car battery thing does get silly, with it containing a mini universe that contains a mini universe that contains a mini universe. Morty is horrified at this, but when he tried talking sense to Rick, it just gave Rick the idea to force the civilization to work or else the car battery will be thrown out. It's slavery but with extra steps.

Yeah, another example of it being so sick sometimes, especially with the post-credits sequence. The Meeseeks are pretty likeable creatures as well, I love their voice, demeanor, and their dialogue. Easy to quote them.

i didn't really like the jelly king scene

it was really uncomfortable and honestly i don't know why they had to include it, it just felt really distasteful

the other low point of the series if the gazorpazorp episode which really wasn't very funny at all

Nabber said:

it was really uncomfortable and honestly i don't know why they had to include it, it just felt really distasteful

the other low point of the series if the gazorpazorp episode which really wasn't very funny at all
It provided rationale for Morty leaving the place so quickly though. It's pretty important to the plot. I think that other scene in the Titanic episode was.... uh..... I mean the other one took place in a fantasy land but the other one didn't...

Marowak made me watch this show a couple months or so ago. I watched the first episode, and I wasn't all that impressed.

Then I watched the second episode, and I was hooked immediately. It's now one of my favorite shows. It's just really impressive for an adult cartoon. Like, usually these tend to be filled with profanity, shocking elements, and really crude humor just for the sake of having an adult rating. While Rick and Morty has these things too, I find they usually serve an actual function and feel like an extension of the show, rather than just something that was crammed in to be edgy.

On top of that, the writing is brilliant, the plots are interesting, and it's overall very funny (and depressing). A show that manages to make me feel genuinely sad for a character called Mr. Poopybutthole can't be bad.

Nabber said:

I think that scene was necessary. It feels bad when viewed out of context, but I think the episode as a whole would have been worse if it wasn't there.

Let me explain what I mean with that. Before the scene, during the trial, Rick makes a rape joke. They don't dwell on it for too long, but it is there. People might laugh at it, or not. But then the King Jellybean scene happens, and the show very clearly shows you that rape is horrible. There are no jokes in the scene, nothing is played for comedy, it is just awful to watch Morty dealing with it and the effect it has on him. It's a wonderful kick in the teeth if you laughed at the rape joke earlier.

Like, the statement I got out of these two scenes is: "Rape is not funny, and if you laugh at it, let us show you just how horrible it really is". And to me that statement is not really in poor taste. It's actually an important message.

This sort of thing is what I meant earlier. The show takes the usual elements you find in an adult cartoon and manages to make it into something that is really mature. Not edgy-mature, but actually adult subjects and concepts, raising interesting questions, provoking interesting thoughts and discussions, etc.

yeah i guess

idk the way they did it made it seem like they were trying to make that scene funny, but i guess i just misinterpreted it

I've read other comments saying they found it funny, and can't take it seriously because it's a jellybean, but I don't see it. Even the cut to Rick singing karaoke in the middle of it just made it feel even more terrible, since it was happening right under his nose and he had no idea - plus, it meant Morty was on his own.

Also, totally got post-conflicted while writing this, but to Edo's points, I still want to add that it was also necessary from a plot coherency POV:

Morty's a really tough kid: he's been shot at, attacked with knives, poisoned, chased my monsters, killed alternate reality versions of his family (that same day), and who knows what else happens on offscreen adventures, so if he'd just been mugged or something in the bathroom, that shouldn't've rattled him up to the point of wanting to abandon the quest he's had no doubts about even in the face of all the other setbacks. A "straw that broke the camel's back" excuse would seem really weak and undermine the whole episode (and all the other episodes where Morty just keeps going through equally bad shit), whereas sexual assault breaking him down when nothing else could is very realistic and a clearly pivotal moment. Plus, Rick wouldn't've been nearly as sympathetic if Morty was traumatized by a run-of-the-mill crime, so without that line getting crossed and his grandson genuinely needing him, the happy, supportive ending he gave Morty wouldn't've been believable either (nor would it have been nearly as touching).

Of course, all that's assuming this was a one-time thing and future episodes don't wreck it, but so far, the series seems smarter than that.

Dr. Alphys said:
I watched the first episode, and I wasn't all that impressed.

Then I watched the second episode, and I was hooked immediately. It's now one of my favorite shows. It's just really impressive for an adult cartoon. Like, usually these tend to be filled with profanity, shocking elements, and really crude humor just for the sake of having an adult rating. While Rick and Morty has these things too, I find they usually serve an actual function and feel like an extension of the show, rather than just something that was crammed in to be edgy.

On top of that, the writing is brilliant, the plots are interesting, and it's overall very funny (and depressing).
Yeah, that's my experience too. I liked the first episode well enough, but was worried it was just using all the mature stuff just because it could. Then the second one proved otherwise.

Back