Pokemon Advice Thread! Javelin's monopoly is no more!

Re: Javelin's Pokemon Advice Thread!

Javelin, how do I make myself look

%27Cause_that_gives_you_individuality.jpg
?

I still can't get into the Lumiose City Boutique.

Buy about 100 premier balls, one at a time from the Ball shop in Lumiose.

That should get you in.

You force a switch and predict moves.

If I lead with Weavile and they lead with some shit grass type you can pretty much always get a turn where you can set up.

Other than that it becomes difficult. If you know a pokemon won't attack on any givin turn, set up.(i.e. An Aegislash that is in blade form will almost always Kings Shield or Swords Dance.)

Fearless Fosdick said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Candice said:
I've totally did this Thread before: http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=15583.msg638857
this thread is infinitely better because it's done my MEEEEEEEE
Candice said:
Anyways, which dragon type Pokémon should I get in Y?
Depends on your tastes.

Dragalge: I can't really recommend Dragalge for any reason other than his typing. He's got nice Special Defense and his movepool isn't too bad, but... he just isn't very impressive.

Tyrantrum: If you're looking for a "SMASH THINGS NOW" Pokemon, Tyrantrum is definitely your choice. He's got high Attack and Defense, combined with an ability that makes biting moves such as Crunch more powerful. Unfortunately, his speed is pretty low and he's weak to a lot of types. But that doesn't matter because HE'S A T-REX SO AWESOME ASDFKAJSDHFLAS

He also gets Rock Polish to boost his 71 base Speed up to 142, which is pretty sweet if you get a chance to set up.

Goodra: A stellar special wall, Goodra also has enough Attack or Sp. Atk to dish out some impressive damage. Dragon-typing is pretty nice defensively and allows Goodra to switch in and tank a lot of attacks.

Unfortunately it's weak to physical attacks, its speed isn't exactly great, and I personally can't stand the design. It looks like a wax candle of Dragonite with the wings melted off and the arms dripping wax. Ugh.

Noivern: Here's a nice Pokemon. It's blindingly fast, has decent Sp. Atk, learns Air Slash, Dragon Pulse, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Focus Blast, Dark Pulse, and the new Normal-type move Boomburst. And I enjoy the design, he's like Crobat crossed with Exploud. Awesome.

Zygarde: He's...okay, I guess. I like the design, but Ground/Dragon has been done before and his stats aren't amazing.

If you're in a Doubles battle though, his move Land's Wrath is nice because it's a slightly weakened Earthquake that doesn't attack allies. Nifty.

I would recommend Noivern, definitely, but it's your call on whether you want a defensive Pokemon (Goodra), a wallbreaker (Tyrantrum), or speedster (Noivern).
Jack i'm pretty sure this video will explain why dragonite is the best choice for a dragon pokemon.

i actually hate dragonite but i thought youd like this shoey

jpWZg.png

Purple Yoshi said:
*still not as bad as getting Milotic in Gen 3/4*

I'm just saying, if you want a dragon-type, the others are easier to get by comparison.
It's worth the extra effort, imo.
Champion Christmas said:
So I'm gonna start with this whole IV and EV business. I've been looking at Pokemon I might like to use.

Blaziken
Blastoise (because Mega Launcher)
Togekiss
Ferrothon

Let's say o were to add to more Pokemon to this team, which should I add? Any particular types you recommend?
Which game are you using?
Randy Cunningham said:
Javelin, how do I make myself look

%27Cause_that_gives_you_individuality.jpg
?

I still can't get into the Lumiose City Boutique.
Every time you are prompted with "Give a tip?", give them 1000 Poke. It's expensive, but worth it to get into the Boutique Fantastique.

On another note, being stylish also decreases the prices of Venusaurite, Blastoisinite, and Charizardite X/Y at the Stone Emporium.
LN1 said:
How do you pull a Swords Dance with Weavile if its defensive stats suck so bad?
You move in on a Psychic type that can't do anything to Weavile and set up in its face.

It's hard to set up, but no harder than with any other sweeper Pokemon.

Champion Christmas said:
I'm playing X.
Ah, okay.

Assuming you want to use newer Pokemon, I can recommend any of these new ones:

Fennekin => Braixen (Fire) (leave it as a Braixen because Delphox's design looks awful)
Froakie => Frogadier => Greninja (Water => Water/Dark)
Fletchling => Fletchinder => Talonflame (Normal/Flying => Fire/Flying)
Litleo => Pyroar (Normal/Fire)
Flabebe => Floette => Florges (Fairy) (I hate the third evo Florges's design, but it's good as a special wall)
Honedge => Doublade => Aegislash (Steel/Ghost) (my favorite of this gen)
Inkay => Malamar (Dark/Psychic) (remember to turn the 3DS upside down at a level up after 30 to evolve)
Clauncher => Clawitzer (Water) (Although I guess since you plan on using Mega Blastoise, Clawitzer it pointless because he does the same thing? Mega Launcher and all.)
Jaw Fossil => Tyrunt => Tyrantrum (Rock/Dragon) (T-Rex ftw)
Hawlucha (Fighting/Flying)
Phantump => Trevenant (Grass/Ghost)
Noibat => Noivern (Dragon/Flying)

Champion Christmas said:
So I'm gonna start with this whole IV and EV business. I've been looking at Pokemon I might like to use.

Blaziken
Blastoise (because Mega Launcher)
Togekiss
Ferrothon

Let's say o were to add to more Pokemon to this team, which should I add? Any particular types you recommend?

Heliolisk.

It has all the special attack and speed you would expect from an electric type, and it can learn Surf eliminating it's weakness to ground. It is weak against fighting types, but Togekiss should be able to take care of that.

Dr. Javelin said:
Champion Christmas said:
I'm playing X.
*wall of text*
Yeah, Mega-toise outclasses Clawitzer in every stat I think.

I may pick up Noivern because I like having a dragon on my team. So my theoretical team has Fire, fighting, water, flying, fairy, steel, grass, dragon, and flying again as types. Anything that would help balance it? Ghost types?

Try Honedge. It seems to be the fan favorite ghost of this generation. You can get it early (Route 6), but it is rare.

That's a Pokemon I'm considering.

Can someone explain to me how the whole stance change thing works?

When you use an offensive move, it turns into Blade form and if you use any defense increasing moves, it goes into Shield form.

It might be a little more complicated than that though.

Also, how would one defeat an Aegislash?

What do number you think makes a good base stat on a non-legendary Pokemon? 80s? 90s?

I always thought if something had a base stat of 85 or higher it was good, but apparently Gen 5 raised the standards for that... :/

Edit: Another question, but is Fighting + Ghost a good attacking combo? Is there anything that resists both (or is immune to 1 and resists the other)?

Champion Christmas said:

I run A 31/31/31/X/31/0 Aegislash on my team so I should be able to help. The Most common build you will see on one of these is:

Swords Dance
King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Shadow Sneak

Basically, Swords Dance can be used while still in shield form allowing you to pretty much tank almost anything that isn't boosted or STAB. King's Shield is like protect only it completely fucks up Physical attackers, if something touches you while you use it, they get a -2 to attack. Sacred Sword is a high power move with good coverage. An alternative might be Iron Head which gets STAB. Shadow Sneak allows Aegislash to move first when he needs to finish something off.

The general strat is to stay in shield form to take hits and to possibly set up. Then land a Sacred Sword or clean up with Shadow Sneak.

Randy Cunningham said:

From what I understand, now that the Steel-type no longer resists Ghost-type and Dark-type attacks, Aegislash has four weaknesses to be weary of. Also, King's Shield only protects against offensive attacks, so it'll still be vulnerable to status moves, such as Taunt.

Taunt would probably be the best way.

Force it into Sword stance and then hammer it.

I like the bike theme.

Also, the Lumiose City theme kind of sounds like something from Super Mario Galaxy or Disney Land.

And there's the riding on Skiddo theme.

What kind of moves should I teach Lucario? I've been thinking about keeping Bone Rush since it's a good way to bypass Pokemon with Sturdy, but it is kind of luck based.

Lucario does not have Skill Link therefor Bone rush is a subpar move.

I'd recommend Extremespeed as a must and maybe even Bullet Punch with the introduction of fairy

Also a strong fighting move and maybe Swords Dance.

Other good moves for increased type coverage are Stone Edge or EQ

Champion Christmas said:
I may pick up Noivern because I like having a dragon on my team. So my theoretical team has Fire, fighting, water, flying, fairy, steel, grass, dragon, and flying again as types. Anything that would help balance it? Ghost types?
Honedge => Doublade => Aegislash, definitely.
Champion Christmas said:

He always enters battle in Shield Forme. He remains in Shield Forme until you use an attacking move, and then when it's his turn he shifts into Blade Forme right before attacking.

You can shift him back into Shield Forme by using King's Shield.
Randy Cunningham said:
Any physical attacker that doesn't make contact (moves like Earthquake) can bring him down pretty quickly, as do Ghost and Dark-type attacks.
Timmy said:
What do number you think makes a good base stat on a non-legendary Pokemon? 80s? 90s?
Depends on what you're trying to do. 90 is excellent for Defense, Sp. Def, or HP. 90 is pretty good but not great for Speed (unless you plan on boosting it). Same goes for Sp. Atk and Attack, although there are lots of Pokemon with over 100 Attack/Sp. Atk, so 90 is generally seen as rather low in comparison.
Timmy said:
I always thought if something had a base stat of 85 or higher it was good, but apparently Gen 5 raised the standards for that... :/
Yeah, Haxorus's 147 Attack and Chandelure's 145 Sp. Atk kinda blew a lot of previous standards off the map.

Jolteon's 130 Speed is still blindingly fast though.
Timmy said:
Edit: Another question, but is Fighting + Ghost a good attacking combo? Is there anything that resists both (or is immune to 1 and resists the other)?
Fighting/Ghost is the new best attacking combo in the game; Fighting hits Normal and Dark which resist Ghost, and Ghost hits Ghost and Psychic.
Candice said:
What is your favorite Pokémon music?
Kanto Champion theme. It's awesome.
Randy Cunningham said:
What kind of moves should I teach Lucario? I've been thinking about keeping Bone Rush since it's a good way to bypass Pokemon with Sturdy, but it is kind of luck based.
Depends on whether you're running Lucario as a special attacker or a physical attacker.

Physical Lucario always wants Close Combat and Extremespeed, then Iron Head and Swords Dance.

Special Lucario should use Aura Sphere, Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse, and Nasty Plot. Some people drop Aura Sphere for Vacuum Wave (it's basically a Fighting-type Shadow Sneak), it's your call.

I'm assuming you're running Mega Lucario too?

Randy Cunningham said:

Without Skill Link, Bone Rush isn't all that reliable, especially since unlike Icicle Spear and Bullet Seed, it can miss.

Anyway, Lucario can be physical, special, or mixed, and when it's Mega Lucario, it'll get Adaptability, which comes in handy for its Fighting-type and Steel-type attacks.

When going physical, Close Combat is an obvious input, while Bullet Punch covers the Fairy-type Pokemon to some extent. Extreme Speed could also be considered for its higher priority, but with Adaptability, Bullet Punch will end up dealing the same amount of damage, regardless of its lower priority. I would've mentioned High Jump Kick for its higher base power, but the risk of it missing can be pretty fatal. Other attacks to keep in mind include Earthquake, Stone Edge, Crunch, and maybe Shadow Claw. Swords Dance boosts attack 2 stages.

When going special, Aura Sphere is a must, and now that the Fairy-type exists, Flash Cannon will get some use. Other special attacks to keep in mind include Psychic, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, and Vacuum Wave. Nasty Plot boosts special attack 2 stages.

If you're going mixed, having Aura Sphere around will enable Lucario to take out things that may survive a Close Combat, but can't handle special attacks very well. This is especially true with Mega Lucario, since with Adaptability, Aura Sphere's base power becomes 160.

hey bro

look at the thread title

whose advice thread is this

Dr. Javelin said:
Randy Cunningham said:
Depends on whether you're running Lucario as a special attacker or a physical attacker.

Physical Lucario always wants Close Combat and Extremespeed, then Iron Head and Swords Dance.

Special Lucario should use Aura Sphere, Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse, and Nasty Plot. Some people drop Aura Sphere for Vacuum Wave (it's basically a Fighting-type Shadow Sneak), it's your call.

I'm assuming you're running Mega Lucario too?

I'm trying to use a mixed attacker. Aura Sphere is a must due to never missing and it has Shadow Claw to take care of Psychic types. I was thinking of teaching it Psychic to cover it's weakness to fighting. I would use Flash Cannon, but Blastoise already has that. And yes to Mega Lucario, even though I haven't used it except for Korrina's tutorial.

MnSG said:
Randy Cunningham said:

Without Skill Link, Bone Rush isn't all that reliable, especially since unlike Icicle Spear and Bullet Seed, it can miss.

Anyway, Lucario can be physical, special, or mixed, and when it's Mega Lucario, it'll get Adaptability, which comes in handy for its Fighting-type and Steel-type attacks.

When going physical, Close Combat is an obvious input, while Bullet Punch covers the Fairy-type Pokemon to some extent. Extreme Speed could also be considered for its higher priority, but with Adaptability, Bullet Punch will end up dealing the same amount of damage, regardless of its lower priority. I would've mentioned High Jump Kick for its higher base power, but the risk of it missing can be pretty fatal. Other attacks to keep in mind include Earthquake, Stone Edge, Crunch, and maybe Shadow Claw. Swords Dance boosts attack 2 stages.

When going special, Aura Sphere is a must, and now that the Fairy-type exists, Flash Cannon will get some use. Other special attacks to keep in mind include Psychic, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, and Vacuum Wave. Nasty Plot boosts special attack 2 stages.

If you're going mixed, having Aura Sphere around will enable Lucario to take out things that may survive a Close Combat, but can't handle special attacks very well. This is especially true with Mega Lucario, since with Adaptability, Aura Sphere's base power becomes 160.

I'm not really worried about offense other than balancing out physical and special moves. I am worried about defense though. I think Lucario has the lowest defense on my team right now.

Randy Cunningham said:
I'm trying to use a mixed attacker. Aura Sphere is a must due to never missing and it has Shadow Claw to take care of Psychic types. I was thinking of teaching it Psychic to cover it's weakness to fighting. I would use Flash Cannon, but Blastoise already has that. And yes to Mega Lucario, even though I haven't used it except for Korrina's tutorial.
If you're using Lucario as mixed... hmm. I dunno, mixed isn't as good as a special attacker with Psyshock. Can he learn Work Up?

Back