Steven Universe

Peridot is so entertaining.

I hope they capture her and then Steven pesters her with his boundless upbeatness. She's the funniest when she's annoyed.

Although I guess it would make more sense to poof her and then bubble her gem. Which would put an end to the fun.

peridot is frickin hilarious. the best bit was her walking on her fingers towards the beginning lol

despite the great bits of humour sprinkled throughout (e.g. pearl cutting everyone's lines short and peridot's antics) i gotta say this episode was pretty heavy, the conversation between garnet and pearl was almost tear-jerking :s

imo it was a fantastic conclusion to the arc with sardonyx being reformed at the end, but it was a bit of a missed opportunity not to have her be all 'escape-artist magician ta-daaaaaaaa' after she busted from the trap

anyway it wasn't a huge week in regards to moving towards the inevitable confrontation with malachite but it was lovely to see the gems face and overcome a much more personal enemy this steven bomb.

can't wait for the next one (if they're doing that)

GBAToad said:
imo it was a fantastic conclusion to the arc with sardonyx being reformed at the end, but it was a bit of a missed opportunity not to have her be all 'escape-artist magician ta-daaaaaaaa' after she busted from the trap

To be honest, I was glad that she was silent and didn't crack a joke. It shows that Pearl is taking this seriously and is making an honest attempt to treat Garnet (and herself) with more respect.

Yeah, it was good that Sardonyx was very sober: I loved the look on her face. Plus, all the other fusions have been voiceless in their repeat appearances (not including Garnet or Malachite), so it fits the pattern.

So, are we back in the hiatus zone again now?

Have Steven Bombs replaced weekly episodes as the dominant form of update?

I think weekly episodes are starting again in August? That may be wrong, though.

A lot of people seem to not like Pearl, but she's my favourite.

Looking at Steven Bomb 3 makes me realise how little we know about everything. We don't know about Garnet and Pearl's backstories, or the war, or how the Crystal Gems were formed, or how Steven was born, or anything about Homeworld, really. There's so much left to explain!

Yeah, imo Pearl's the most sympathetic of the three because she's been through a lot and has a hella lotta emotional scars (which are becoming clearer as time goes on), leading her to make mistakes n' stuff, but she still tries hard and manages to be a good person for the most part. Garnet's my fave because she's both stoic and hilarious, as well as pretty wise about stuff and very sweet in her interactions with Steven ("tiny hands, my one weakness"). Amethyst is a bit of a jerk more often than not so it's harder to like her as much, but she's a good person too, has her own demons to face, and is still pretty fun overall - plus her maturation as the series goes on is really satisfying to watch.

I really don't see any Pearl haters. I mean, sure, during Week of Sardonyx she got some shade, but that's because she fucked up, and deserved some criticisms for what she did, but she's considered one of the best characters on the show. No one messes with Bird Mom.

It is interesting to see the three gems' character developments as the show goes on, because we see Pearl as being the one that is always organized and knows exactly what she's talking about to seeing where she feels like she's broken and incomplete and doesn't know what to do, and then we see Amythest who is just all loose and carefree and a bratty sister sort of character to where we really get to see how much she doesn't like herself and how she's acting less goofy all the time and becoming someone that is becoming more level-headed, and of course Garnet who is quiet and seems to be the leader and alway acts as the mediator to where she literally falls apart about what happened and how she might be a perfect relationship but there are still flaws and there are times where she can't always be keeping her emotions to herself.

I feel like Pearl doubts herself a lot, and I'm sure when we get the backstory about what being a Pearl means we'll understand even more about Pearl and probably the struggle it is to be her own gem.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, been thinking about it some more, and I really like how Garnet's advice seems to be setting Pearl up for a "you don't need to be in a relationship to be strong and complete" character development trajectory. Seeing as the show's been all about the love and relationship stuff lately, with Garnet being the ideal that everyone wants to be like while Jasper gets sassed for being "mad cuz [she's] single", for example, that it's also saying "no, it's okay to be single too". I mean, Amethyst is also free of romantic love entanglements, which is nice in its own way and I hope it stays like that, but it's cool that they've specifically said relationships aren't the be-all and end-all of life. Granted, Pearl's single because the love of her life never returned the feeling, chose someone else and died, so it's not really by choice (unlike Amethyst, who's like, "eh whatevs, just gonna have fun bein' me"), but still, it's cool - and the sad backstory is great for other reasons too, plus it'll make for the most before-and-after contrast since Pearl's single-minded need for Rose was NOT healthy.

When my bro said it was on break, I was like "nooooo". Then he said it was for two weeks, and I was like "what? that's nothing".

wow that's much shorter than the last hiatus

then again the episodes will probably be weekly instead of daily, which is fine

hype

Walkazo said:
When my bro said it was on break, I was like "nooooo". Then he said it was for two weeks, and I was like "what? that's nothing".
pffft. I concur with you. 2 weeks is nothing compared to the eternal month wait for the homestuck megapause or the hype wait for sm4sh.

Now if were speaking in a matter of months I'd understand.

I honestly wish the "crewniverse" or w/e you guys call the creators had like a longer break. maybe up to 4-6 weeks tops?

I mean they like did 2 stevenbombs. one for june and the other for july. Don't those episodes take some planning anyway? Maybe a break would inspire them and they'd discuss on how to idk... represent those inspirations in a right way? idk It could be some more feelings, new monster types or the possibility of new fusion sketches. I just now want to see if there's gonna ever be a fusion between steven or any of the gems but I doubt it'll ever happen because of the somewhat "sexual" nature of the fusions (at least that's how I sorta view fusions).

Fusion isn't really primarily an equivalent of sex. Like, it can be, but it's not its defining factor. It's more about your relationship with someone else. Like, the phenomenon of feeling so in-synch with one another, with your feelings and desires, that for that moment the two of you might as well just be one person. Sexual attraction/advances only factor into that by virtue of being one possible catalyst for such a moment, but it's far from the only one.

Like, I really doubt Steven and Connie were consumed by raging lust when they fused for the first time. They were just two kids having fun and being honest about themselves, and they felt a deep connection at that moment that happened to manifest as fusion.

Ah I see I sort of understand it more. Might have to re-read than once and maybe see a few fusion episodes.

btw Do you think if pearl and steven fuse... we'll see the same Rainbow Quartz that Rose and Pearl managed to do or just a different one in terms of appearance? I was just asking myself not too long ago...

I think the result might be a Rainbow Quartz, but not exactly the one we saw in the flashback. Like, according to some of the dialogue from Jasper and later Pearl, multiple gems with the same type of gemstone exist, so the same probably applies to fusion.

Peridot said:
Fusion isn't really primarily an equivalent of sex. Like, it can be, but it's not its defining factor. It's more about your relationship with someone else. Like, the phenomenon of feeling so in-synch with one another, with your feelings and desires, that for that moment the two of you might as well just be one person. Sexual attraction/advances only factor into that by virtue of being one possible catalyst for such a moment, but it's far from the only one.

Like, I really doubt Steven and Connie were consumed by raging lust when they fused for the first time. They were just two kids having fun and being honest about themselves, and they felt a deep connection at that moment that happened to manifest as fusion.

I really love your definition for fusion.

And I agree that it'll probably go back to being weekly. It seems that some of the future episodes will include...

Seeing the return of Watermelon Steven's, an episode titled "Gem Drill" - which could be related to the Kindergarden for all we know or maybe the slinker since Steven will be traveling underground, and Barn Friends as another title episode, so maybe we'll see new people. (All from Wikipedia, so take with a grain of Salt).

Lapis Lazuli said:
It seems that some of the future episodes will include...

Seeing the return of Watermelon Steven's, an episode titled "Gem Drill" - which could be related to the Kindergarden for all we know or maybe the slinker since Steven will be traveling underground, and Barn Friends as another title episode, so maybe we'll see new people. (All from Wikipedia, so take with a grain of Salt).
For those 3 episodes, they got their info straight from CN's website, so no reason to doubt it.

Barn Friends sounds like it'll be about two already existing characters, maybe Lars & Sadie/Ronaldo?

I know people stopped talking about Pearl but Pearl has been my favorite gem since a few episodes in. At first Amethyst was my favorite gem (reminds me of how Fluttershy was my favorite pony until a few episodes of MLP when I switch to Rarity) and Amethyst is still a close second.

Garnet is great though! Especially since finding out more about her character. I just like Pearl's personality.

okay i am all caught up now

garnet is my favorite gem, she feels the most like a mom whereas amethyst and pearl feel more like siblings. i love how she chooses her lines very wisely so she always has something great to say, but is a very fleshed out character who's more than just "stoic emotionless rock"

in general, this show tackles characterization and issues more professionally than a lot of adult media i see; "the test" in particular struck out to me for presentation a very complex issue that i was surprised to see presented in a cartoon

Nabber said:
okay i am all caught up now

garnet is my favorite gem, she feels the most like a mom whereas amethyst and pearl feel more like siblings. i love how she chooses her lines very wisely so she always has something great to say, but is a very fleshed out character who's more than just "stoic emotionless rock"

in general, this show tackles characterization and issues more professionally than a lot of adult media i see; "the test" in particular struck out to me for presentation a very complex issue that i was surprised to see presented in a cartoon
well i caught up too and yeah, what nabber said

Back