call of duty developer says call of duty fans aren't hardcore gamers

tumblr_munptmo5fn1svc94wo1_400.gif

cod fan's reaction

there are no special qualifiers to be someone who enjoys books, television, music, films, etc., beyond just enjoying them, regardless of how devoted you are to those mediums. Video games should be no different.

Crocodile Dippy said:
there are no special qualifiers to be someone who enjoys books, television, music, films, etc., beyond just enjoying them, regardless of how devoted you are to those mediums. Video games should be no different.
Well if the only book you read is Fifty Shades of Grey, I wouldn't call you a fan of books. The same applies to people who just play Call of Duty.

yeah, it'd be like saying you're a movie fanatic but the only movies you watch are star wars

you don't get to decide what counts as being a true gamer or not just because you enjoy games more than other people who might consider themselves gamers. I'm a massive music fan, but that doesn't give me the right to say someone who only listens to, say, Aerosmith, isn't also a fan of music. That's pretentious and basically just enforces a "cool kid's club" mentality for a medium that's supposed to be all-inclusive.

they can be a "fan of music" without being a "massive music fan"

just like someone can be a "movie watcher" without being a "movie fanatic"

i think that's the difference we're trying to make here

like, people who only play smartphone/tablet games wouldn't be considered "hardcore gamers", but they're still technically "gamers"

trying to say that a complete newbie's opinion on a topic is just as valid as a more experienced person's doesn't make any sense, unless it's a matter of opinion. they don't really have the right to say "this is the greatest music/movie/game/book EVER" though because they haven't really experienced enough of that genre to form a valid opinion on the genre.

does that make sense?

tl;dr noobs are allowed to have opinions and enjoy something, but that doesn't make their opinions respectable to veterans

No, seriously, why does it matter if someone's a 'hardcore gamer' or a 'casual gamer' or anything? It doesn't make a difference to anything! Why don't people stop worrying about the definition of a gamer, and judge if their opinion is valid on whether they actually know what they're talking about.

After all, I bet people would define people as "COD hardcore gamers" or "COD casual gamers" depending on how often they play them and how many of the games they've played in the series. So, it doesn't matter if someone only plays one series. It's only if someone, say, only plays COD and then tells everyone he knows "Don't play Skyrim because it sucks", even though he hasn't played it. And even then, that's just ignorance.

Dr. Javelin said:
tl;dr noobs are allowed to have opinions and enjoy something, but that doesn't make their opinions respectable to veterans

but aren't you really just being eltist then.

Labels of all sorts are awful, this "hardcore" "softcore" "casual" "competitive" "whatever" is no different than labeling people as "jock" "nerd" "cool" "whatever".

Baby Luigi said:
"whatever".

yea this is totally what im going to label myself from now on.

Dr. Javelin said:
they can be a "fan of music" without being a "massive music fan"

just like someone can be a "movie watcher" without being a "movie fanatic"

i think that's the difference we're trying to make here

like, people who only play smartphone/tablet games wouldn't be considered "hardcore gamers", but they're still technically "gamers"

trying to say that a complete newbie's opinion on a topic is just as valid as a more experienced person's doesn't make any sense, unless it's a matter of opinion. they don't really have the right to say "this is the greatest music/movie/game/book EVER" though because they haven't really experienced enough of that genre to form a valid opinion on the genre.

does that make sense?

i understand that difference, that's why i specifically used the term "movie fanatic"

DragonFreak said:
Oh Rocker, you're such a whatever.

I know i'm like the biggest whatever i know.

Ummmm whatever

Back