How do you type?

The question is in the title.

• Touch typing (Not looking at the keyboard + keeping fingers on home row)

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Hunt and Peck (Two-fingered typing, involves paying attention to what keys you are typing)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Buffering (Thinking of what you want to type first, and then staring at your keyboard as you type)

• Thumbing (Thumbs only)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
According to the Wikipedia article on typing, there are four main methods of typing: touch typing, hunt and peck (two-fingered typing, search and peck, and Eagle Finger are all acceptable names), buffering, and thumbing. I was bored, I found the article, and then I got curious as to how other people type. So, how do you type?

When our schools made us do typing classes, we were always taught to keep our fingers on the home row, with our index fingers on the J and F keys, and that typing with three fingers is a lot slower and less efficient. This was supposed to teach us to focus on the screen and not the keyboard, but I've ended up taking this weird middle route. I don't have to be looking at my keyboard at all, I'm using three fingers on my left hand (with my pinkie on shift) and two on my right hand, and on just about every typing test I've done, I can mange 70 words-per-minute with 95% accuracy. When I pointed this out to my teacher, he just shrugged and said, "Well, it's working, so go for it." If I don't pay attention to what I'm doing, then I can throw out walls of stuff, but if I actually try to concentrate on my typing, I make a lot more mistakes.

Okay, I type a bit weirdly, as I don't follow any of those methods.

I've got an interesting mix between Touch Typing, buffering and two-fingered typing, i guess.

I do have the capacity to type without looking at the keyboard at all, because I've learned over the years where every single letter key is, without any "home row" bullshit. Yea, I was taught how to do home row, and stuff but I don't type like that at all.

I usually only type with my index fingers, and I usually focus on the screen, using peripheral vision to look at the keyboard, occasionally if I find myself making a lot of mistakes, I'll look down, but my eyes are usually on the screen.

I just took a typing test, out of curiosity, and i scored 78 WPM, with 85% accuracy, pretty damn good to me.

When i'm using my phone I exclusively use the thumbing thing but I don't see any other way to do it with small touch screen keyboards.

Touch typing, if I need to look somewhere else (like what I"m actually writing), though I'll still look at the keyboard sometimes.

I use QWERTY. I tried learning Dvorak, but my brain is hardwired to QWERTY.

I tend to only look at the keyboard when I end up doing a really bad spelling mistake or I'm looking for one of the alt-num keys (the ampersand, the "at" sign, the dollar, etc).

Trucy Wright said:
one of the alt-num keys (the ampersand, the "at" sign, the dollar, etc).
as hard as I try I can never seem to hit those annoyances

I'd say somewhere between regular hunt-and-peck and the "Peck minus hunt" variety of two-finger typing.

I only use my index fingers, but I go really fast and only need to look at the keyboard to make sure the fingers come down on the right keys, instead of getting frame-shifted as I move my hands around. (Thid here's an ecample of not looking and not foing back and ficing mistakes, so there;s transposition errors like "fo" instead of "go" and whatnot.)

(I can also type pretty g\fast with one finger and one hand but I really need to look at the keyvoard themn and even so, miskates happen way mote iften - this uproofread sentence being an example oikf haphaxardly typing one-handedly.)

They tried teaching us tough typing a few times in school, but for some reason, it just never worked for me...

My main issue is that I'm adjusted to not only just a QWERTY keyboard, but my laptop's keyboard as well. Give me a non-qwerty keyboard and i'm screwed, and hand me a keyboard that isn't similar to my laptop's, in the spacing of its keys and I'll make a lot of mistakes.

Can't say. I don't keep my fingers at the position but I don't look at the keyboard as I type.

Touch-typing, I suppose, but I don't always have my fingers directly on the home keys, just kind of, fluttering over the entire key board, I guess. Idk, it's weird, but I type fast, so fine by me.

Touch typing, ~105 wpm.

Trucy Wright said:
I can mange 70 words-per-minute with 95% accuracy.

dat 95% accuracy

touch typing

im not really fast or anything, but i do prefer it.

Hunt and peck.

I remember when I got taught how to type properly in school for years.

*starts to laugh*

I obviously didn't care enough to actually do it. But I type fast this way(H&P) anyway.

Hunt and peck. I use an AZERTY keyboard by the way.

Tried a typing test, I have 46 wpm with 97% accuary.

Basically what Kimberly said. I never learnt to touch-type so I do the two-fingered thing (unless the keys are really close together and I add in my middle finger), but I usually think of what I'm going to type before I go to type it and it is still pretty fast (usually around 70-80wpm, record was something like 120). I always hit space with my thumb, though and it ends up making me a pretty loud typer. :P

I really wish I had learnt to touch type though, or at least learnt how to use the Dvorak keyboard.

Also I just slide my index finger if I'm using SwiftKey, lol.

Hunt and Peck.

I had already gained the habit over the previous 6 years before they attempted to teach us Touch Typing. I don't know if I can really call it Hunt and Peck though, it's more like simply Peck since I don't have to look at the keyboard (although sometimes I still do out of habit), I didn't realise it until now but I guess I've subconsciously memorised the keyboard.

Back