Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban series (includes Apollo Justice as well)

So soon aaahh keen

I finished AA6.

That was pretty great! I'm hype for the DLC case.

Man, this was basically Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. Not that I mind, I think they did a fantastic job with him. That ending, though. I'm gonna miss the old setup at the Wright Agency, but Polly really does need to make a name for himself.

Here's hoping we see Justice Law Offices in a future game!

I also finished it. I'd say it's my second favourite behind Trials and Tribulations. A huge improvement over Dual Destinies for sure.

I'm glad Apollo ended up being the star this time, the final case was dope too. I'll miss him but he'll show up again eventually no doubt. It's been a while since I got to enjoy ace attorney like this.

oh, really? dual destinies felt like the series was kinda just dragging on, so i haven't really considered getting this

does it actually breath new life into the series? it's not that dual destinies was bad, it just felt like more of the same

I mean, I thought DD was bad. Insights are probably the best new thing though there's not too many of them, much better than Athena's gimmick. You can turn off the thing that gives you hints if you don't know what you're doing.

Having finished this a few weeks back, AA6 was for the most part incredible, and honestly the best AA game they've made since Trials and Tribulations so many years ago.

Every trial had its highs and lows, but damn Cases 2, 3 and 5 are some of the absolute best in the series. I don't think they're ever going to create a case that had as many twists, pivots and sheer nonsense as Case 5

Case 2 had amazing characters (like Literally Robert Downey Jr.) so that made it really memorable. The ending to Case 3 was by far the best "breakdown" in the series though.

In Case 5, the civil trial being turned to a murder trial was kind of disappointing, but man if it wasn't cool to have Apollo v Phoenix. Shame they resused the Maya gets kidnapped plot as Phoenix's motivation. In the latter part of Case 5, Apollo shouting "Please let me be wrong" about Dhurke's death was all kinds of painful BUT HOLY FUCK THAT TWIST. Shame it was obvious Ga'ran was the villian from the start, but the road to get her convicted was long and amazing. I mean, calling in the royal guard to point fucking guns at the opposition and then changing laws right in front of you? daMN

Case 1 went on far too long tbh, but at least it was entertaining aside from Payne literally trying to give Phoenix the death sentence.
Contained in itself, Case 4 was incredibly good (uendo was a Good Character), though Blackquill had honestly redeemed most of it with his weebness. It doesn't fit in well at all with the overall story of the game, and I know it serves as a breather between Case 3 and 5 but man it was kind of sucky where they put it.

Lastly, the DLC case was, in comparison to the amazing DLC they had for Dual Destinies, really disappointing. The killer was obvious and Edgeworth and Phoenix, both characters who should have decades of experience, are dumbed down here in court a lot. Obviously the writers wanted the classic Edgeworth/Phoenix battles but seriously dropped the ball when handling their characters here.

New prosecutor sucked for the most part and never really did anything substantial aside from asserting he was right with half-assed claims and telling you to let it go and move on or else be cast into the pit of hell you heathen like wow shut up

And those are my opinions done

So... I got the chance recently to play through all of the Professor Layton Crossover.

And my gosh, I think it's my favorite out of the 3DS Ace Attorney games. (Even if of course part of the game isn't Ace Attorney). I got pretty engaged with the story, and there are certainly a good amount of twists and events that I either didn't see coming or had I not been a little aware would of caught me off guard. The 3rd trial in the game especially just might be one of my favorites of the entire series.

Also it felt appropriate to play it around this time of year. It involves witches and such, so to me it felt kinda like a Halloween Special for the series in some ways.

I'm now doing the last case of the third game. I just finished investigation 1 and OH MY GOD I DIDN'T THINK I COULD HATE LARRY BUTZ ANY MORE BUT NOW I DO AND AGJEAI;OWGJEAWOIGJEWIOAGJEWAIOLGJAEWLFNALSJKEG,HNSACJLSNADGUEAWJHAL

freakworld said:
daily reminder to continue playing jfa
boi you better

my motives are often very complex

Just replayed AA1 again. Beyond the final case(s), I don't actually think it's that strong of a game. A lot of it feels like it's trying too hard to either tutorialize certain elements or put the player in "hopeless" situation far too often without it actually feeling genuine.

i like the first game because I think it has the best characters and best situations overall. also I think it had slightly less bullshit that the other games but that's probably just my nostalgia goggles

Besides the main cast, a lot of the characters aren't all that good, imo. Take your pick between unmemorable and generic (Frank Sahwit, the unnamed bellboy, Penny Nichols, Yanni Yogi), annoying and obnoxious (Wendy Oldbag, Sal Manella, Lotta Hart, Mike Meekins), or criminally underused (Redd White, Manfred von Karma, Damon Gant, Lana Skye). It definitely feels like the game wasn't sure how serious it wanted to take itself, so we end up with this mixed bag.

Nabber said:
what the hell how do you hate oldbag
there are no wrong opinions but not liking oldbag comes pretty close

Do you think it would be interesting to play as a prosecutor in court? AAI is neat for putting us in Edgeworth's shoes, but he basically acts the same as Phoenix, only with more tea and more Logic™. Maybe it could be a young upstart who hasn't been tainted by the corruption in the court system, needing to weave between prosecuting to the best of their abilities, dealing with the few corrupt prosecutors who slipped between the past (or maybe even corrupt attorneys), and searching for the truth. It could also be an excuse to have an old-fashioned Ace Attorney game that has a twist without a gimmick *coughperceivecoughemotionscough*.

On an unrelated note, if there's ever a third Payne, his name should be Roy L.

the m rating has me a bit unsettled, since i have a weak stomach so i'm worried that there'll be something that i won't be able to handle (i already had trouble with "reunion, and turnabout" at the scene where there's a blood covered dead nurse possessed maya)
Many years later that's not any form of Maya who it is in that scene loooooool

Right now my favorite case is close between Turnabout Goodbyes and Rise From The Ashes, and my least favorite case is close between The First Turnabout and The Lost Turnabout. Even the latter two aren't awful though. Turnabout Big Top is up next.

Back