Is this place really the "Super Mario Boards" anymore

NSY

Celestial Guide
I was going to put this under suggestions for improvement. While I am expecting most people to disagree with me here but it's a big suggestion and because of that, this needs it's own thread.

Mario doesn't seem to be very poplar here anymore. This place seems to have just as much Zelda, Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Team Fortress fans and that is very unusual for a place based off one video game francise. There are other Mario releated forums out there that has a lot more Mario fans than we do. Only 50% (maybe less) of users here are Mario fans. I am telling you now that a Pokémon board would get the same (if not more) posts as the Mario board would. The Pokémon X and Y topic has much more replies than any upcoming Mario game expect for Mario Kart 8.

We get more Pokémon and Fire Emblem profile themes than Mario these days. There are next to no Mindless Junk or Fan Creations topics based off Mario and we have only had two Mario themed Mafia games within the last year.

So why is this Mario forum then, the primary reason is because it's connected to the Super Mario Wiki but as time progresses this place seems to only be reserved as a place for wiki collaborations it seems that this place is more of a partner than part of the wiki itself.

Should we consider being a Nintendo in general forum instead of a Mario forum. Tell me what you think below.

Also this thread is what got me to make this:
http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=26993.0

This is called the super Mario boards because it's the official forum of the Super Mario Wiki, where we cover Super Mario. Mario is just as popular as anything here today, so stop acting like it isn't.

Kingbowser99 said:
This is called the super Mario boards because it's the official forum of the Super Mario Wiki, where we cover Super Mario. Mario is just as popular as anything here today, so stop acting like it isn't.
I said that in ths op but as time went on it seems to fell less connected to the wiki.

Have you consult with everyone elses opinion besides your own?

nsymon said:
Kingbowser99 said:
I said that in ths op but as time went on it seems to fell less connected to the wiki.
This is the conversation board for the MarioWiki's administration! What are you on about?!

While a forum is supposed to center around a certain subject, that subject may not always be the prime discussion of interest.

In other cases, it may be different. It really all depends, quite honestly.

MPL's focus is Mario Party and is practically the only thing people care about there. MPF? Different story. The quote I put is exactly what this reminded me of. No one cared about MP there.

Just...y'know. My...take on this.

NSY seems to see it a different way. He thinks that we're completely cut off from anything Mario Series.

I think rebranding ourselves would be a very silly idea.

Besides, why would we need to? Another forum I go to hasn't been about what it's named after for four years, and it hasn't rebranded itself or anything.

We're all brought together by Mario and/or the Mario Wiki. If we were to have to talk about Mario most of the time, it wouldn't be a fun place, let alone a forum. It'd just be a discussion board.

Our third largest board is dedicated to all things Mario. I think that should satisfy things.

Unknown Entity said:
While a forum is supposed to center around a certain subject, that subject may not always be the prime discussion of interest.

In other cases, it may be different. It really all depends, quite honestly.

MPL's focus is Mario Party and is practically the only thing people care about there. MPF? Different story. The quote I put is exactly what this reminded me of. No one cared about MP there.

Just...y'know. My...take on this.
Well places do need to change so it matches it's main focus. This place seems to be more Nintendo in general than Mario.
Kingbowser99 said:
NSY seems to see it a different way. He thinks that we're completely cut off from anything Mario Series.
I do not think that. There are still a good number of users here who talk about the series but there is also a big number of users here who don't care for the series, some of which are actually global moderators.
Morgan said:
I think rebranding ourselves would be a very silly idea.

Besides, why would we need to? Another forum I go to hasn't been about what it's named after for four years, and it hasn't rebranded itself or anything.
You bring up an intresting point there.

Also what is that other forum you go to.
Nabber said:
We're all brought together by Mario and/or the Mario Wiki. If we were to have to talk about Mario most of the time, it wouldn't be a fun place, let alone a forum. It'd just be a discussion board.

Our third largest board is dedicated to all things Mario. I think that should satisfy things.
Other boards are catching it up though.

So? Are you not satisfied with our existing community and boards? There's nothing stopping you from joining other forums if you'd like.

You see NSY, you may think Mario may not be a big focus of discussion around the boards but that is only because you aren't looking for it.

The Marioverse is the 3rd largest board by posts. 2nd by topics.

What are the only things beating it?

Forum Games (which has 3 sub-boards) and Off-Subject Discussion (which contains mindless junk.)

Both of those being the places where we can screw around. The latter having a board where not all the rules apply. They are naturally going to get a lot of posts.

But nothing video game related, beats out mario.

Tentomon said:
You see NSY, you may think Mario may not be a big focus of discussion around the boards but that is only because you aren't looking for it.
Aye, if anything, NSY is the one who's not interested in Mario anymore.

Your topic is illogical; it's like saying like Kitty Corp: Meow Mix forum isn't about Brawl hacking anymore because the majority of the posts are in Off-Topic.

Look, Mario is the only video game series with its own board (with the exception of Super Smash Bros.). The Marioverse alone takes up quite a few posts (and if the forums got my way with posts not counting in forum games and mindless junk-both nonconstructive areas of the forum-it would get the most posts). All other video game series get lumped in either video game discussion or handheld discussion. Everything else goes into Off-Topic.

ALL forums have a single big topic (KC: MM has brawl hacking, BiTF has the comic discussion, etc.) and an off-topic topic. This isn't the only one.

Nabber said:
So? Are you not satisfied with our existing community and boards? There's nothing stopping you from joining other forums if you'd like.
no, I love this community and the boards, I just find it odd that they are not a lot of Mario fans. I myself actually do really like the Mario games.

nsymon said:
I just find it odd that they are not a lot of Mario fans. I myself actually do really like the Mario games.

The term "Mario fan" isn't a black and white term. Some are more avid about the series than other people, and it is certain that other people WILL talk about things about their favorite series other than Mario. This community is much larger than you think, and the interests are quite diverse. I think you should be glad we have great diversity of different interests

To be honest, I actually agree with your point BLOF.

The primary reason why I'm bringing this up is because there are a lot of people here who don't care for the francise, more than I expected.

Well, the people who cared for the franchise probably ONCE cared for it, before Nintendo started heavily milking their franchises and churning out games such as New Super Mario Bros. 2 or Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Baby Luigi said:
Well, the people who cared for the franchise probably ONCE cared for it, before Nintendo started heavily milking their franchises and churning out games such as New Super Mario Bros. 2 or Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a very good game though. I agree with you on NSMB2 but the series is going fine.

Back