Should I?

• Total voters

Shoko

Dry Bowser
Wiki Bureaucrat
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Shokora
Perhaps most of you may already be familiar with the Virtual Boy. One of Nintendo's most unsuccessful systems. In 1995, it was launched. Gunpei Yokoi, along with his 60-headed research team together with Reflection Technologies had worked on the Virtual Boy for over 3 and a half years. During this period, he reportedly kept pushing the project despite concerns about other company officials about its success. Gunpei Yokoi reported to the Japanese press that the system will achieve three million hardware sales during their first year on sale in Japan. It was released on 21 July 1995 in Japan and on 14 August 1995 in North America, with sales being considerably lower than originally perceived (there were 770.000 units sold in total, only 140.000 units of which in Japan). Asides from the strange concept and very high price (US$179.95, in 1995) of the console, buyers may have avoided it because of the warnings about how it can cause eye strain and headaches, especially for young children.

Though I've never actually played a Virtual Boy (was only released in Japan and North America), I've developed a great interest in it after playing Virtual Boy Wario Land on an emulator. I didn't expect very much when first downloading it, but I was really blown away by the visual display, fantastically drawn sprites and ingenious level design. It was a thrill to play, and it's probably the most underrated game in the whole Mario series. I can't honestly say the same thing about Mario Clash and Mario's Tennis, however. They are much less appealing. I've surfed through some web archives of dead Virtual Boy websites, such as here. And there's plenty of great information to read up about it.

Lately, I've been thinking about getting an actual Virtual Boy imported, along with some games. On the upside of the Virtual Boy's low sales numbers, there are still huge stocks of units and games available to date. Though, they won't be around forever, especially since there have been big online sellouts in recent years. I thought it might be worth purchasing one, though looking at the prices on Ebay, the median price for a mint-condition system is $500+, and used systems which are still in decent condition are priced from $200. Of course, the price barrier is why I'm hesitant, as it would be a fair amount of my current savings.

Has anyone on this forum ever used a Virtual Boy? Even if you haven't, I'd really eager to hear people's opinions about this unusual Nintendo console.

No. You already have an emulation of Virtual Boy Wario Land, aka the only good thing about the console. I wouldn't take one unless the person paid me.

My opinion is that you should only get one if you fancy yourself a collector, want to experience the 3D effect yourself, or want to get a Virtual Boy just for the sake of owning one. Otherwise there's not really much practical use behind paying $500 for a discontinued system when you can play the games through other, less expensive means.

But ultimately, it is up to you.

Plus, this thing causes permanent eye damage if played too long.

If you ever find a Virtual Boy, my advice is to destroy it!

If your a collector then maybe.

Otherwise no, save your eyes.

Get more money, and get an Oculus Rift.
It never came out here, for a reason.

No and there's little to no games in its library so just forget it

No?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Oculus_Rift_support

She's talking about the Virtual Boy, not the Oculus Rift.

Lambtron said:
Plus, this thing causes permanent eye damage if played too long.

If you ever find a Virtual Boy, my advice is to destroy it!
Find we one single case of that ever happening

Mario4Ever, I meant to say, they should get an Oculus Rift, instead of the Virtual Boy.

I noticed that, but you mistook Baby Luigi's comment about "little to no games in its library" as referring to the Oculus Rift when she was referring to the Virtual Boy, which is why you linked to an article listing games with Rift support.

Oh, that explains.
It indeed confused me a bit there.

If you feel the Virtual Boy and its library are interesting enough to own, I encourage you to get one - I know I'd like to play Teleroboxer with the intended set-up one day. Owning the real hardware is better than emulation as far as I'm concerned.

ebay Buy It Now prices are notoriously inflated, especially for Nintendo systems. I reccomend being patient and trawling online game shops for a good deal.

Eye damage, is indeed a risk of playing the console. But it really only counts if once plays it excessively. I think I'm eager to get one because of the retro/collector side of things, rather than a gamer's side.

Baby Luigi said:
No and there's little to no games in its library so just forget it
All I'm interested in playing is Virtual Boy Wario Land. ^v^

Glowsquid said:
ebay Buy It Now prices are notoriously inflated, especially for Nintendo systems. I reccomend being patient and trawling online game shops for a good deal.
That's very true. Yesterday, I saw a system which was in quite good nick, and it was a little less than $200 AU. But then I calculated the postage, and it worked out to almost $70 AU :|

Let the angry video game nerd decide. (language ahead)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=OyVAp0tOk5A&feature=plpp[/youtube]

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't. I mean, the price is outrageous, and I don't see the point of playing games you already have for free on a sucky system.

But yeah, it's completely up to you.

Drift said:
[...]I don't see the point of playing games you already have for free on a sucky system.
Mainly for the collectable aspect.

Shokora said:
Drift said:
[...]I don't see the point of playing games you already have for free on a sucky system.
Mainly for the collectable aspect.
Yeah, I guess you could get it if you're collecting retro stuff but other than that, it would be pretty much useless.

Back