Collab: Make "List of Quotes by Character" Pages

Dashbot

BREEE
Walkazo's recent proposal (MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_36#Make_.22List_of_Quotes_by_Character.22_Pages) passed.

In short: we need to organize quotes pages (List of Quotes by GAME) and make a quote page for each character (List of Quotes by CHARACTER).

But it is quite long job and need several users to work on and complete..

Description of how it should be organized:
[quote author=Walkazo]Each quote page will have a standardized header: "This is a list of quotes by [[character]]." (this will be added to MarioWiki:Subpages Policy). The first section will be "General", and list quotes that appear in more than one appearance; if they only occur a couple times, the appearances can be listed (put these quotes at the bottom), but otherwise, just leave them. Try to put the most stereotypical quotes at the top (i.e. "Mama Mia" for Mario, "Help me, Mario!" for Peach, etc.), and remember that generic quotes are allowed here - just not things like screams ("ahhh"), nonsense and other stuff that sheds absolutely no light on the character ("hi", "okay", etc.); when in doubt, or when there's disagreement, take it to the talk page. After that section, go by genre/media type: Platformers first, since they usually have less quotes, and after that comes Sports, then Spinoffs (including all the random things), then the RPGs (since these are likely to be the big, hefty sections), then the "Non-game appearances", and finally, a Misc. section for commercials ("Mario, Mario, Mario ja nai!" - Peach, NSLU), websites, and other things like that.. Specific series may be given headers, and specific games too, if they produce a large amount of quotes (typically, games sections will be reserved for the RPGs; spinoffs and sports will at least get series headers often, I suspect); otherwise, just put what game each quote is from following the quote All sections should follow the "unsorted" quotes; use chronological order for everything at every level as much as possible. For the non-game appearances, sections can be given for the different shows, movies, publications, etc., or just list them "unsorted" like the games/series with few quotes.[/quote]

For quotes said by a characters like the Announcer in Super Smash Bros. Series, those quotes should stay on the game's "Quotes" section in the article.

oh snap you're banned on the wiki for 2 weeks

I'll do my favorite characters, like usual (Baby Luigi, Toadette, Baby Mario)

Yeah, I was gonna try and organize this in a couple weeks - when I haven't been suddenly swamped with RL stuff, as I am now.

Baby Luigi said:
oh snap you're banned on the wiki for 2 weeks

I'll do my favorite characters, like usual (Baby Luigi, Toadette, Baby Mario)
Never mind, I just wanted to focus on the forum and I found that the proposal passed but it didn't get done.. I hope this project is complete as fast as possible.

Nothing. The quotes-by-character pages/sections and quotes-by-game pages coexist.

Also, you're not actually supposed to cut-and-paste all the quotes onto the sections of the character pages. As said in the proposal:

These pages would only be for recurring characters, as oneshot characters already have complete quote lists on their parent games' pages. Discretion should also be used when determining what recurring characters should get quotes pages. If a character is major in one game, but only has a few lines in another game or two, there is no point giving them a quote page either: just give them a Quotes section with {{main}} to the major appearance, as well as some choice quotes from that and all the quotes from the minor appearance. Similarly, if a character appears in many games, but they only have a couple lines in each one, just compile them into a small list that fits in a single Quotes section (like how no separate list pages are needed when there's only one or two glitches or beta elements). Character with quotes list pages should also get Quotes sections linking to the lists with {{Main}}, with a small sample of notable or characteristic (oft-repeated) quotes (in accordance with MarioWiki:Empty Section Policy).
By extension, characters only appearing in one game would get the same treatment: minor characters might be able to get all their quotes in a section, but something like this (Kuzzle#Quotes) is way too long, so it'd be better to pick out a handful of telling quotes and {{main}} to the rest. Similarly, a whole separate page for Broque (List of quotes by Broque Monsieur) seems unnecessary: he's not THAT major or notable, and he's only been in two games so far, so his article's section could simply use a manual "see X and Y" {{main}}-like line and a small selection of quotes from both games to give him perfectly fine coverage.

This is WHY I wanted to wait to make a collab until after I had a chance to set up a couple pages and sections myself: to make sure everyone's on the same page... At least the Fawful one (List of quotes by Fawful) is an example of a good page: a nice, iconic character with more than two appearances, all of which provide many quotable quotes.

Soooo sorry, I read the proposal several times, but I couldn't understand it very well.. I think I fixed what you mentioned.. I will wait for some more info, before continuing.. sorry again.

That's why I like making examples, rather than just wordy explanations.

Anyway, also remember that the Quotes sections go above the "Names in Other Languages" sections.

I made Mario's page. I even included some juicy stuff from the E3, San Diego Con, and the Press Conference from everyone's favorite yapping plumber. I know I missed several good stuff from the Press Conference, so I'll look into it later.

There are also videos of Mario and Wario yapping away at Nintendo World, but I don't think that counts as much. Still, it would be nice if we had a quote of Mario remarking that "Wario's so ugly that if he climbed the Empire State Building, airplanes start shooting at him" and Wario's saying that he's so ugly, that when he was born, the doctor slapped his mother.

And of course, the yammering is done by the one and only Charles Martinet.

I'll see to making a page to good 'ol Cranky Kong in the coming days. Most of his quotes are very amusing... this is one that got me chuckling:

[quote author=Donkey Kong Country]"Look!...look at this!...as I rock, my beard swings! Waste of frames in my opinion!"[/quote]

Lol, awesome. If I have time this week, I'll try to get off my lazy read and at least make a page for Bowser. And maybe some other major characters too, but it all depends on how school goes.

I already did Toad and Luigi so far. I don't think I added Toad's Fortune Street quotes yet, and Fortune Street has a ton of them (I wish we get more games like that...).

I did most of Bowser's page; I'll add the RPGs and TV show quotes tomorrow (no time now, sadly).

Walkazo said:
I did most of Bowser's page; I'll add the RPGs and TV show quotes tomorrow (no time now, sadly).
Good job! It's great because since you're the one who proposed the thing, I get an idea of how you see things. I'll perhaps create Wario's quotes today, lol.

Update: Done

Finished up Cranky Kong's page.

Question: should these character quotes pages get their own category? Perhaps "Category:Quotes by character" as a sub of "Category:Quotes"?

Perhaps. I'd like to see the List of Quotes by (Character) get incorporated into the {{quotes}} navigation template.

Mario Party X said:
I'd like to see the List of Quotes by (Character) get incorporated into the {{quotes}} navigation template.
How convenient, it was already there :D

I don't think a separate category is necessary. Only a handful of characters will really warrant Quotes pages and they will always go to the tops of the alphabetical lists (since "List of quotes BY x" comes before "List of quotes IN x"), not to mention the fact that the template keeps 'em separated.

A tip I figured out doing the Bowser quotes page: instead of using '' to italicize every individual line, just use <i> and </i> at the beginning and ending of the lists - like how entire galleries can be instantly italicized. It saves a lot of space time and effort than doing it all manually, and even works for the lists that use quotes from multiple games, since those titles will all be italicized anyway. Just be sure to close the italics in cases where you do need regular text, and then add another <i> tag after that to make the rest italic.

Also, for the lists drawing from multiple appearances, just use a link the first time a title appears: there's no point linking to the same game/comic/episode page half a dozen times. Plus, having the first appearance linked helps show where one appearance ends and the next begins.

One thing I was thinking of doing was changing the intros from "This is a list of quotes by X." to "This is a list of quotes spoken or written by the character X." - just to make it a bit less... paltry. Thoughts?

Walkazo said:
One thing I was thinking of doing was changing the intros from "This is a list of quotes by X." to "This is a list of quotes spoke or written by the character X." - just to make it a bit less... paltry. Thoughts?
Paltry... mmmm reminds me of pastry. Anyways, one minor error in your example:

"This is a list of quotes spoken or written by the character X."

Otherwise, sounds like a solid and consistent intro standard to have for these sorts of pages.

I don't know... I like the description short and sweet as possible,since it is pointing out the obvious. Just have it link to the article.

But the current one's so short, it seems pointless. Better to have something that at least stretches beyond the TOC, I think.

After doing some talking with Walkazo, I figured I could contribute to this endeavour in the saddest and most predictaboo way possible!

I don't know... I like the description short and sweet as possible,since it is pointing out the obvious. Just have it link to the article.

I agree with that, I was never a fan of the Captain Obvious blurbs for content hoarding pages.

Walkazo said:
But the current one's so short, it seems pointless. Better to have something that at least stretches beyond the TOC, I think.

I'd like a subpage created so there's simply a small <Main article: (article) at the top of the page, so we have the needed link back to the main article and that's it. The only reason I'd keep such a redundant description is to link the article back and that's it.

Back