Philosophical Question

Freedom is essentially being able to do anything. No one could hold you down or tell you what to do. There are no restrictions, and you don't have to do anything for anyone unless you want to. No country could ever have absolute freedom because of the chaos it would ensue.

Free as in freedom, not free as in free beer.

I was going to reply "murica", but seeing as this isn't Mindless Junk:

The ability to do/say/believe whatever one desires, regardless of others' beliefs or opinions. Obviously true freedom is impossible; the result would be an absolute mess. The most we can hope to achieve is freedom within reason, as we can't just go around killing people, etc.

Freedom is being gone from my parents' control forever.

free·dom
/ˈfrēdəm/

Noun
1.The power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.
2.Absence of subjection to foreign domination or despotic government.

Synonyms
liberty - independence - license - licence

Being allowed to do what you'd like without objection

Life.

I don't know what else to say, so I guess I will mention I also like Tucky's and Yoshinumber's answers.

SpinyMaster said:
Freedom is essentially being able to do anything. No one could hold you down or tell you what to do. There are no restrictions, and you don't have to do anything for anyone unless you want to. No country could ever have absolute freedom because of the chaos it would ensue.

Completely agree with this. It's because we don't have this "absolute freedom" I'm a cynic in this world.

Whilst America IS like the country with the most "freedom" there are obviously still restrictions. But these "restrictions"(talking about everywhere now) are what "somewhat" keep this world in order. Everyone would just be rampaging and it'd be such a pain in the ass and the TRUE 2012 apocalypse.(the chaos you refer to)

There WILL NEVER be a utopia. Not now. Not ever.

Course, what my opinion is is not even a fraction of a percent in this overly populated growing world. So my opinion(and mostly everyones) is mute.

Pearl said:
Unknown Entity said:
it'd be [...] the TRUE 2012 apocalypse.

but 2012 already happened

That's not my point. My point was to state that "no restrictions in this world WOULD cause massive chaos led by humanity because humans are driven to their own desires". And you can't deny that.

I was only using "2012" as a euphemism.

Unknown Entity said:
Pearl said:
Unknown Entity said:

That's not my point. My point was to state that "no restrictions in this world WOULD cause massive chaos led by humanity because humans are driven to their own desires". And you can't deny that.

His point was sarcastic.

Lakituthequick said:
Unknown Entity said:
Pearl said:
Unknown Entity said:

His point was sarcastic.

I know(i just ignored it). I only wanted to get my point across.

Lakituthequick said:
Hobbes said:
"The right of people to live their lives any way they choose, so long as their conduct is peaceful."
Well, that puts a condition to be met on the thing, thus it's not completely free.
You can't be absolutely free without interfering with someone else's freedom. The concept I gave, which defines Libertarian standards in the US, ensures everyone's freedom is maximized without taking others' freedom. Seems like a pretty good compromise to me.

Back