Are the Stars the deities of the Mario world?

King of the Shroobs

Koopa Troopa
When I played the first Paper Mario so many years ago and from the replays I have done since then, I got the impression that the Stars or at least the Star Spirts are almost like deities, in that they watch over and protect the world and guard the Star Rod which in it self seems like a divine power similar to the triforce in Legend of Zelda. Now that also leaves the question of Rosalina, even though it gives her backstory that she was a normal girl it seems she became a god or a demi-god of sorts as she is the mother of the stars. Anyway I maybe thinking to deep into this and its late at night when my mind tends to wander in various random directions.

You may be onto something.

There's also another Zelda-like scenario in the Paper Mario games.

In Super Paper Mario, the story about the Dark Prognostistcus is rather similar to that of Majora's Mask, imo. And the dimensions are also kind of parallel worlds to the Mushroom World just as Termina is parallel to Hyrule.

I think your reading into it too much. If nintendo wanted them to be "gods", they most likely would have said they were. Thats the cool thing about fan fiction thought, you can make a video game's story be what ever you want it to be. You add to it or peice together parts from sequals and make it a better story. IMO, I think nintendo is done with the Rosalina character.

It's possible also since touching one grants you invincibility.

I have two questions, both regarding Mario Party games, though

1. If they are deities, why are they getting sold like items in Mario Party games?
2. Does that make Ztars Satan or something?

I think Stars are more like a power-source.

Like, they mostly are used to gain power, so I guess it's a symbol of power. It provides like electricity or some sort of steriods that enables a person to become better than before.

With the star rod, it uses star power to make powerful things.

cryoAwakening said:
I think Stars are more like a power-source.

Like, they mostly are used to gain power, so I guess it's a symbol of power. It provides like electricity or some sort of steriods that enables a person to become better than before.

With the star rod, it uses star power to make powerful things.

Well...em...im not from gamexplain or matthewpatrick, but....

We have 2 types of stars

1.- The Power Stars
2.- The Living-Beings Stars

The Power Stars are a form of energy in the Mushroom World and Mario Universe, its powerful and can make people being more powerful or give many magical abilities, we can comparate them as the Triforce in Zelda or the Chaos Emeralds from Sonic, here is the thing, unlike those, the Power Stars can merge in ONE Power Star (Grand Star) as an one and only source of power, as in Mario Galaxy 2, one luma tell as in the engine room, he uses the power star and convert it in energy.

There´s Many forms of Power Star in the World, the Crystal Stars, the Miracle Cure Star, Starmen, Star Piece (SMRPG), Cobalt Star...most of the are use as a source of power, others can be uses with diferent goal, but at the end, they are only source of power.

The Living-Stars are a total diferent story, there are two types of Star Beings, the ones can be consider as Guardians in Mario Universe, or As simple living creatures.

-The Guardians can be considerate as Deities, this star are very powerful be themselves, and uses thier power to help Mario to overcome villans as Bowser and other Baddies, the Star Spirits, the Star Sprites and the BeanStar are prime example of this characters.

-The Living Star beings are as toads, or koopas, they only live thiers live, but usually they are closer to these Deities that the other races, example: Star Kids and the Lumas

Well...in both cases there exceptions, some Power Stars can be (or were) living stars, and some living stars can become in power or in guardians, in Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 there are silver stars, who make luma noises when they are collected, in Rosalina´s Storybook, one luma becomes in energy and transform the rock under them in a comet, the lumas can become in anything, Stars, Slingshots (this can be temporal), galaxies and even Power Star, they can leave to being a living-star but the essence of the lumas still intact.

Also, we have Rosalina, since Galaxy 1 people were discuss, what is Rosalina in Mario Universe?, Mother of the Stars?, a lost Princess?, Mario Universe´s God?...

Here´s a video from a guy called the GameOverthinker this is one of his earlier videos and said something about Mario theology...

In my opinion, she is a demi-god, the storybook dont tell us how Rosalina gets her powers, and Miyamoto restraint the director Yoshiaki Koizumi from the game to make a sequel of the storybook, but seeing the events of the storybook* in SMG1, Rosalina begins as a humans and her connection with the lumas make that the Stars Deities give her magic powers, or the Lumas interaction make her magical (as it was some sort of mutation for being exposed to star radiation (?) lol)

She is kind, wise, powerful and mysterious, in fact we don´t know how old is she, she confrot other evils in the universe too?, maybe we will never know.

In other side we have Bowser, who is a big powerful monster, with a lustful fetish for Princess Peach, a big ego and very power-hungry, in fact Bowser is called a Demon King in Japan, a rank usually refer devil-like beings, in america to avoid all this devil thing they traslate this to Dark Lord, in fact Bowser was called a Dark Lord in Mario Party 9 in Bowser Jr. Constellation.

Yes he can be silly, but still is a pretty big stuff for a Cartoon-Like Universe, yes, there are some other beings as Dark Star, The Shadow Queen, Dimentio and others who look more powerful that Bowser, but Bowser has demostrate he is MORE POWERFUL that all them when he is playable.

And so far Bowser is the only one who try to conquer the universe...THRICE, and in all the time, trying to use the Stars, in fact, so far, Bowser is the only character (along Rosalina) who knows how to uses the Power Stars.

King´s Final Thought

Power Stars, Living-Stars, Godesses and Demons, all is interesting but at last, the Stars all kind of Stars are very important in Mario Universe and BOTH Gods and Demons know this...check this poem from the Riddler Tower in Paper Mario TYD:

Master of Shadow and Dark...
Stones Have Power of Stars...
Complete All Seven...
So That We, the Great Ones...
Can Live Again by the Stone...
We Know the Stars Spurn Us...
And That the Skies Lie...
But the Stars Bring Balance.

This poem is writing from a evil character point of view, even when this character said the star spurn they, the star are balance and are the Balance in Mario Universe.

But HEY its just a Theory...a Game Mario Theory!

P.S: *Im speculating when i said Miyamoto didn´t wanted the storybook returns, but there is a storybook-style concept artwork from Mario Galaxy 2 that suggest the Director Yoshiaki Koizumi wanted to make a sequel, but what is true is Miyamoto restraint Galaxy 2 to have a deeper plot, Miyamoto philosophy is focus in the Gamplay and not in the story because the story can distract the player from the gameplay, usualy it works, but when not...wel...see paper mario sticke star.

P.S 2: This was a long post so give me cookies plz

tl;dr that man

Here's how the hierarchy goes imo.

Star Road
Star Spirits
Rosalina
Minor stars like ♡♪!?, Twink, Polari, Lubba, etc.
Other Lumas

Back