Best Buy: Nintendo Experience

-----

the coolest dude ever
Pronouns
he/him
this is a topic for the people who went, or are going

so my story

i was able to go

on the wait, i was able to get a luigi hat (yaaaaay), a wii u booklet (for friends or something?) and a lanyard (BECAUSE)

i also got the hilarious experience of meeting a person who's worked for nintendo at least since the days of the original super mario land, possibly earlier

but the hilarious part comes in a little later

so about 3/4th of the way to the demo station, around where the luigi hats and stuff are

a microsoft representative comes up

believe it or not, he was friends with one of the friends of the nintendo representative i talked about above

so they had a weird discussion about dance central demos, and then he just left

so around 45 minutes later (the entire wait was 3 hours, which i persevered through due to both a majority of nintendo fans to talk to, as well as a lot of original 3DS consoles, one having all 10 of the ambassador games downloaded to play, so not only did i play a wii u demo, i got to play mario kart 7 (the game cart was in the console) and the gba warioware for the first time)

i got to play mario kart 8 (it was 2 races long, and i lost to the other guy playing by 3 points)

a couple of things i noticed:

1. for the gamepad controller, zr is drifting, zl is items, a is accelerate, b is brake

now, you can play by either tilting the gamepad controller, or by clicking off to the side, you can change it to the d-pad and analog stick

wii remotes are obviously supported, etc, etc'

2. was able to play the level featured in the e3 demo with peach's castle and all of that

and another one featuring some sort of city

3. i made out the words toad's toy room on one building, and a peach/daisy building

4. in the background, i saw a statue of liberty with peach instead of lady liberty

so, post your stories now if you went, or post them if you ARE going

I'm interested. Is it worth it? Are the lines painfully long? How early should I go? I have questions to ask, and I'm curious, since I've never been to a demo event before.

Mario Party X said:
I'm interested. Is it worth it? Are the lines painfully long? How early should I go? I have questions to ask, and I'm curious, since I've never been to a demo event before.

trust me when i say it, it's worth it

for me, it was about 2 hours and 40 minutes of waiting

but along the way, there were a decent amount of 3DS systems to keep me waiting, not to mention the other fans you can talk to

plus, the two people giving away items at the place where i got my luigi hat were playing animal crossing on their 3DS, asking other people with the game to come to their towns and trade items

then again, they were both nintendo veterans, so i got lucky with the representatives that came

if you bring your 3DS, have patience, talk to the fans, the representatives that come, it may feel long, but it sure as hell pays off in the end

i had an insanely fun time with MK8, and i wish i had gotten there early enough to try out 3D world as well

trust me when i say, it's not like they start up the demos at exactly 4:00

try to get there around 25-30 minutes early

there will be a line, but it'll be much shorter, and you'll have a much shorter wait, hopefully

plus, luigi hats and free 3DS systems with games inside the console and downloaded ones too

and ar cards spread around if you want to do that

it was fun for me, should be fun for you if you decide to go

Which Best Buy did you go? I mean, I going to the one in Culver City, California, which is pretty near to Los Angeles.

Of course I'll bring my 3DS so I can play with my sister. And I'm glad I can find people I can relate to (Nintendo nerds?), so maybe it's a great idea to slip on a Mario shirt, wear a Mario hat, and carry Mario plushies. :) I wonder how conversations with Nintendo representatives will go?

I'll try getting there an hour early.

All this just to play one demo for 7 minutes? That's just very pathetic when you realize that only one Wii U system has all the demos. It would've been way better if there were at least four Wii U systems with the demos; that would've greatly sped up the lines.

I know you had a bad experience, but are you sure the "one Wii U' system applies to just your Best Buy location, or is it uniform? I'm just wondering.

Mario Party X said:
Which Best Buy did you go? I mean, I going to the one in Culver City, California, which is pretty near to Los Angeles.

Of course I'll bring my 3DS so I can play with my sister. And I'm glad I can find people I can relate to (Nintendo nerds?), so maybe it's a great idea to slip on a Mario shirt, wear a Mario hat, and carry Mario plushies. :) I wonder how conversations with Nintendo representatives will go?

I'll try getting there an hour early.

overland park in kansas

Mario Party X said:
I know you had a bad experience, but are you sure the "one Wii U' system applies to just your Best Buy location, or is it uniform? I'm just wondering.

it's uniform

Ness said:
Did you see M$ people in there talking about Xbox One at Wii U area?

no, it was ALL nintendo fans

but like i said, a microsoft representative did come up to the area where the luigi hats were

but he didn't bury the wii u or anything, he was just there for some reason

edit: i'll clarify a little more

when he showed up, he didn't recognize the nintendo representative, but at the very least, knew one of the other nintendo representatives

they just talked a bit, then the microsoft representative kinda hung around the booth

Been there today. I've waited 45 minutes just so to play one level... that my sister "speed ran" one. But still, I enjoyed it. I also got to watch other people play Mario Kart 8. Mario Kart 8 looks gorgeous, and the mansion level looks sweet.

The best part is that I actually got the thing recorded. I need to wait until my sister uploads it, though.

Yep, and guess who I picked to speed run the level? Toad. So I left the others in the dust

I played through all of them and MK8 a few times, and kicked their asses with my drifting and tricks. 8)

I didn't get a Luigi hat since they only had so many. Our area wasn't that crowded thankfully. I did feel my inner nerd come out as I talked to people about the new games, like X & Y and how big fans we are. In real life, I try to act as normal as possible, and it was great being a little dorky in front of other fanatics. :P

The place I went to had a pretty long line. So I had no time to play Mario Kart 8 :(

Baby Luigi said:
The place I went to had a pretty long line. So I had no time to play Mario Kart 8 :(

The Nintendo guy let us go until the store closed, and allowed people to play the full demo of Zelda WW HD. He was so cool; I was happy that he made us happy.

Hadn't gotten the chance to play Mario Kart 8 :'(

I hated it how there was only one freaking Wii U

cryoAwakening said:
I played through all of them and MK8 a few times, and kicked their asses with my drifting and tricks. 8)

I didn't get a Luigi hat since they only had so many. Our area wasn't that crowded thankfully. I did feel my inner nerd come out as I talked to people about the new games, like X & Y and how big fans we are. In real life, I try to act as normal as possible, and it was great being a little dorky in front of other fanatics. :P

Oh, I was acting extra nerdy, but that's in part to my friend, who has Asperger's syndrome. If ever know anybody with Asperger's, you know how they act. Anyway, we were talking about Mario, Mario voice actors, Pokemon, dorky team names from Pokemon, Mario & Luigi, good stuff. I can never talk about that crap in school, so that felt nice.

I did acquire a little Mario Kart 8 flag while my sister got a Luigi hat. My friend got those cards.

Dang, you're lucky you're able to play Mario Kart 8 a few times. I had to wait in line for 45 minutes, and when I was done, the line was really long, and it moved slowly.
cryoAwakening said:
Baby Luigi said:

The Nintendo guy let us go until the store closed, and allowed people to play the full demo of Zelda WW HD. He was so cool; I was happy that he made us happy.

Lucky...

During the wait, I felt happy finally being able to talk to people who are just like me

Mario Party X said:
Oh, I was acting extra nerdy, but that's in part to my friend, who has Asperger's syndrome. If [you] ever know anybody with Asperger's, you know how they act.

...there are some people that have subtle signs of Asperger's that are hard to detect. They don't ALL act differently...

Anyways, yeah, I got the benefit of the doubt from my location to have that opportunity. I took a few pictures, even though I wasn't supposed to, but I didn't get caught. :3

The Undertaker said:
Mario Party X said:

trust me when i say it, it's worth it

for me, it was about 2 hours and 40 minutes of waiting

but along the way, there were a decent amount of 3DS systems to keep me waiting, not to mention the other fans you can talk to

plus, the two people giving away items at the place where i got my luigi hat were playing animal crossing on their 3DS, asking other people with the game to come to their towns and trade items

then again, they were both nintendo veterans, so i got lucky with the representatives that came

if you bring your 3DS, have patience, talk to the fans, the representatives that come, it may feel long, but it sure as hell pays off in the end

i had an insanely fun time with MK8, and i wish i had gotten there early enough to try out 3D world as well

trust me when i say, it's not like they start up the demos at exactly 4:00

try to get there around 25-30 minutes early

there will be a line, but it'll be much shorter, and you'll have a much shorter wait, hopefully

plus, luigi hats and free 3DS systems with games inside the console and downloaded ones too

and ar cards spread around if you want to do that

it was fun for me, should be fun for you if you decide to go
You forgot the Microsoft people promoting Xbox One.

It sucks to not live in britain.

Back