Rating boards are unnecessary

Should we get rid of rating boards and make companies rate their games themselves?

• I strongly agree

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I agree

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I disagree

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I strongly disagree

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

chillv

9-Volt must be my video game counterpart.
The rating boards in every country are ridiculous in some way. Japan is too lenient with stuff, America over exaggerates way too much, and Europe and Australia are way too strict. I feel that we need to get rid of the rating boards and just have companies rate their games themselves. At least they will make more credible and accurate ratings since "they made the game", "they know what is in it" and "they know their target audience".

WHO'S WITH ME!?

If the game developers rated the games themselves, they have the potential to fool people as well.

if the game makers got to rate their own games theyd just choose whatever ratings they expected to sell best

also, uh, do you have any examples of problems with these rating boards that are a little less... vague?

Game developers promote themselves each and every game in advertising, why would they ever give a bad rating to their own stuff?

besides, it's up to consumers to know if something is total crap or not, not all companies can cater to consumers and they'd dupe everyone with their reviews

I don't think TC means critical rating, I think he meant stuff like PEGI or ESRB

Although a lot of people bypass rating boards (and I'm not against it), it gives them the idea what's in the game and if they will cope. If there was no rating board, some kid might pick up GTA without knowing what's really in the game.

Rating Boards are also liability issues as well - well, a lack of rating boards.

I mean, nowadays with everyone suing people over the stupidest things, a mother or father could sue a Video Game company. Little Johnny gets GTA because there was no rating, and is having to have therapy because he has nightmares over what happens in the game, or starts having misdemeaner actions as a result of the crude violence, especially at a age where everything is very impressionable on a child.

So, the Rating Boards isn't there to overhype or prevent certain people from playing because "they're cool". No, it is mostly for protection of players, as well as protection against lawsuits from forming over them. Like all the warning labels on every single item (Warning: Fire Hazard, Warning: Keep out of reach for children 3 and under, etc.), it is just a label so that if something happens and there is a lawsuit, they can be like "we put a label on it, so don't blame us".

^ Agree with that. It's mostly for people like parents buying games for their kids, so they KNOW what's mature and what isn't. We don't want little kids being traumatised from playing violent games.

And when I say little, I mean 6 or so.

The rating system is fine, this thread is unnecessary.

Does a rating change anything though? If someone wants that game, has the money for it and the access to it, they'll buy it. It's just a warning for the people that care.

carckin355 said:
The rating system is fine, this thread is unnecessary.

Does a rating change anything though? If someone wants that game, has the money for it and the access to it, they'll buy it. It's just a warning for the people that care.

I actually saw a little kid go into Gamestop while I was browsing at the games/sad that I have no money and just looking in wistfulness, and he was like 8 years old and tried to be a rated M game (I think it was GTA). The store clerk did their job and told the kid that he can't buy it because of the rating board on it.

So yeah, the rating system does affect who can buy what video games.

Xerneas said:
I actually saw a little kid go into Gamestop while I was browsing at the games/sad that I have no money and just looking in wistfulness, and he was like 8 years old and tried to be a rated M game (I think it was GTA). The store clerk did their job and told the kid that he can't buy it because of the rating board on it.

So yeah, the rating system does affect who can buy what video games.

carckin355 said:
the access to it

Well obviously the little kid didn't have access to it then.

Well, I was just telling that story since I remembered it.

But I mean, as I said before, the rating isn't really for the consumers, it's more for the companies. All about lawsuits and stuff. They could care less who bought their games, as long as they make money, they're fine.

I agree. My parents won't let me get some games I know are good just because of the rating. It took me a couple of years to persuade them to let me get Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

Yoshidude99 said:
I agree. My parents won't let me get some games I know are good just because of the rating. It took me a couple of years to persuade them to let me get Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

Very wise of them knowing you.

I never really had that problem. I mean, I played SSBM and Twilight Princess when I was only 11 and it was rated T for Teen (13+). Of course, really, if it's mature they really only care, but I can buy them since I'm old enough (17+).

Speaking of which, if any of you youngsters want a M rated game...just kidding. :P

Xerneas said:
Yoshidude99 said:

Very wise of them knowing you.

I never really had that problem. I mean, I played SSBM and Twilight Princess when I was only 11 and it was rated T for Teen (13+). Of course, really, if it's mature they really only care, but I can buy them since I'm old enough (17+).

Speaking of which, if any of you youngsters want a M rated game...just kidding. :P
What?

Xerneas said:

I played an M rated game when I was little. It was awesome.

The only M rated games I've played is the Modern Warfare series which I don't even own.

Eh, the movie rating system is the one that deserves to be rethought out. PG for the Littlest Vampire? R for Paranormal Activity?

Red Overalls said:
Eh, the movie rating system is the one that deserves to be rethought out. PG for the Littlest Vampire? R for Paranormal Activity?

Both need to be rethought out. The worst part about Paranormal Activity was that it got critical acclaim

Seriously, why the living hell did Kirby's Return to Dreamland get an E10+!?

Back