Your opinion on emulators.

carckin355 said:
Never heard of 'dutch decimals' until now. Are you sure they're used in Australia?
Do you say 1.000 or 1,000 for a thousand?

FTR, "Dutch decimals" is not the name for our decimal system.

Lakituthequick said:
carckin355 said:
Never heard of 'dutch decimals' until now. Are you sure they're used in Australia?

1.000 would be a dollar with too many zeros behind it from my view.

carckin355 said:
Lakituthequick said:
carckin355 said:

1.000 would be a dollar with too many zeros behind it from my view.
All right. Then you use the period as decimal point, which I don't.

Nowi said:
I have never in my life seen someone spend 60 dollars at mcdonalds.
Parents with their kids and their kids friends. Meals at mcdonalds range from like 5 to 11 dollars I believe.

$70 is my limit, I never would go higher than that for a single game.

you forgot japan and china

you also didnt explain why you think its a good idea to write in a confusing way

Ghostony said:
Nowi said:
I have never in my life seen someone spend 60 dollars at mcdonalds.
Parents with their kids and their kids friends. Meals at mcdonalds range from like 5 to 11 dollars I believe.

$70 is my limit, I never would go higher than that for a single game.

happy meals at mcdonalds range anywhere from 1 dollar to 3 dollars. most mcdonalds meals range from 3 dollars to 5 dollars. a large milkshake costs between 2 dollars and 3 dollars. unless you're buying everyone happy meals, a meal, and a milkshake, and you have more than 4 kids and 2 adults, I dont know how you'd be able to spend anywhere near 60 dollars. Mcdonalds is the cheapest restaurant you can find, and they would go out of business if they charged 11 dollars a meal.

unless you're buying multiple meals per person, in which case its no longer a meal, its multiple meals.

but the point isnt the price of mcdonalds. my point is that for some reason, people seem to think that people should be happy to shell out 50, 60, 70 dollars for a game when they also have to balence buying said game against paying for essentials needed to live. 70 dollars is a lot of hours of work. Minimum wage in the UK is 6.30 pounds~ roughly. minimum wage in the states is 7.25 usd~ roughly. thats 10 to 11 hours of work to be able to afford a game. most people only work 40 hours a week.

That leaves only 29 hours where you're working for food and the essentials you need to live and pay your utilities and living expenses. roughly that comes out to 203 dollars a week, after you've bought your video game. that doesnt include groceries, utilities, and rental expenses you have to pay, including rent, which can range from 400 a dollars month at a cheap place to 1000 a month.

The point is, people cant afford to buy games all the time, and that when they do, its not just "oh i have this money in my pocket, lets do this, woo!" Its a calculated decision where you are literally spending hours of your hard work in order to pay for something you feel is worth one forth of your weekly paycheck, which you use to buy food and essentials for the week.

Because the 'confusing' way is most likely the correct way, 2257.
Okay, the most residents on this planet live in China and America, but still, what you find correct is confusing to most other countries.

no. there is no "correct way". there are only ways that will lead to more or less understanding of what you're trying to say. since numbers are written with "." as a radix point and "," as a digit grouping symbol in english, using that convention will lead to good understanding of what you're trying to say. meanwhile, using "," as a radix point and "." as a digit grouping symbol will lead to poor understanding of what you're trying to say, because those conventions are never used in english. i am asking you why you want to minimize understanding of what you're trying to say, as that is counter to the purpose of writing

I use an SNES emulator because I'm not allowed to get second hand consoles from the internet, I use a GBA emulator to paly games that I can't get anymore and I use a DS emulator mainly to take screenshots of games I have but I might start using it on games I dont have soon since the DS is starting to go out.

MKGirlism said:
Because the 'confusing' way is most likely the correct way, 2257.
Okay, the most residents on this planet live in China and America, but still, what you find correct is confusing to most other countries.

I'm from Germany, so we use the same system like you do when we speak our native language.

That's the key word here: Language.

I use your system when I speak German, but I switch to 2257's when I speak English. The way you write numbers is part of the language you use, so if you speak a foreign language, you use their system. If you don't, you're not doing it the "correct way", you're just butchering the grammar. Simple as that.

You don't suddenly break out Dutch grammar when talking English either, right?

The best way to write 1000 is to not use a punctuation point at all

If only Pidgey was still here, he'd probably say something about 10³ now...

Grammar, something many people mistake when speaking another language.
Often I notice when a 15 year old Dutch person talks in English, they tend to use Dutch Grammar with English words, leading into even worse confusion than the one with the numbers.
I can sometimes understand what the person says, but many others won't, when a more international conversation starts.

...which is why you should strive to follow a language's grammar as closely as you can, to minimize confusion. This includes its numeral system.

guys stop derailing about numbers.

this is for emulators.

Then make a post about emulators and the conversation will return there naturally.

What are you guys opinion on the possibility of more emulators even though nintendo is trying it's best to block their systems?

Emulators can be cool also for doing cheats and savestates that you can't do in the console versions. Now with nintendo doing savestates for that virtual console games on 3ds/wiiu, emulators become irrelevent almost.

Sylveon said:
What are you guys opinion on the possibility of more emulators even though nintendo is trying it's best to block their systems?

I'm opposed with Nintendo attempting to block emulation, but this is from my own selfish point of view

Back