Your opinion on emulators.

EctoBiologist

Best cat themed touhou. I love touhou and DR.
Banned User
let's all be civilized here and let's not post roms and let's just discuss things calmly and let's not complain about people other opinion.

I for one say I only use them because consoles and handheld in this country are really pricey and hard to get and I barely get any games unlike the rest of you guys. getting videogames in a country like venezuela is no easy thing.

I only use Emulators for the purpose of them being in existence: Debugging.
I never use them to play games on, only to Debug a game, before testing them on an actual machine.

I have emulators purely for taking screenshots and ripping sprites. I find it difficult to play through a game on a keyboard.

I rather play my games on a console anyway, since playing it on a keyboard would just be awkward. (which is another reason I don't really care for gaming on the PC or anything)

An Emulator is a simulator of another Hardware.
For example, if you create an Android App, you first want to make sure your App runs on an Emulator, before you brick your actual Phone, so you run the App on your PC, using the Emulator.

Same with, for example, a Nintendo DS.
Developers use a DS Emulator to check if their DS game won't break their Nintendo DS Console.
After several tests, it gets tested on an actual DS system, to ensure it to be working.

Gamers have different purposes with Emulators, the main thing is to make Screenshots/Videos of them, or to play a game on their PC, because 'they can't effort the Console in question'.
Or in some cases, Gamers also use them to play a SEGA MegaDrive game on their Gamecube, for example.

I've got a Virtual Boy emulator. It's beautiful

Emulators are fine to play games that are almost impossible to get, or weren't released at all, like Mother 3, but I am strongly against using them for piracy if there's legit means to get the game new.

Usually when I use emulators, I try to get the game legitimately ASAP.

Xpike said:
Emulators are fine to play games that are almost impossible to get, or weren't released at all, like Mother 3, but I am strongly against using them for piracy if there's legit means to get the game new.
Yeah, basically this.

I'm also totally okay with using emulators to play a game that I actually own, because I paid for it and own the right to play that game. It's just in a different format.

The only reason I use emulators is so I can take screenshots and rip sprites. Though another reason is to play something like Mario Kart Arcade GP 2. But my computer runs a hell too slowly and the keyboard is an awkward controller at best.

I use Dolphin to experiment with different scenarios normally impossible in the actual game, for example in SPM, pitting Luigi against Mr. L

My computer won't even run dolphin or even a gamecube emulator. Only N64.

i only use emulators whenever i feel like it

Lord Spongeful said:
chillv said:
My computer won't even run dolphin or even a gamecube emulator. Only N64.
Dolphin is a gamecube emulator, in addition to wii. Anyways, my phone can run a N64 emulator.
I know that, but I sometimes computers only run smoothly on certain emulators. I used every gamecube emulator but here is a funny one. There is a gamecube emulator called whinecube and it wouldn't run animal crossing on it and I told it to reset and a window poped up that said "I don't wanna".

No, never.

Don't believe in bypassing money.

One note for the people who didn't know that: Emulators are not illegal for 2 reasons:
1. Emulators made by Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/Apple/Google are used to Debug on, and are only meant for Developers.
2. Emulators made by 'generic' people don't use anything illegal in their products when shipped, and it doesn't break any currently existing law.

Back