Supposed Super Mario World beta

Binarystep

East of Dry Dry Desert
There's a supposed beta of Super Mario World my friend found and sent to me, but I'm not sure if it's legit, my friend isn't sure either. Here are some differences from the SMW we know and love:

- The unused Flying Red Coins and Flying Golden Mushrooms appear

- The unused small doors appear

- Dino Rhinos breathe fire

- Purple Coins appear

- The unused grass platform appears

- The unused overworld Piranha Plant appears occasionally

- Most of the glitched beta sprites aren't glitched

- Most enemies are different

- Most levels are different

- It's called "Mario 4", an obvious placeholder title

I lost the file because of a computer error, I think my friend still has it though, I'll try to get it again soon.

EDIT: I know you guys think it's a ROMhack, it's not. The Purple Coins turn into SOLID pink blocks if a P Switch is pressed. If they're hacked into the game, said blocks are still able to be collected like coins.

In pre-release screenshots, it is called Super Mario Bros. 4: Super Mario World, not Mario 4
So I doubt that this is the real deal

Red said:
In pre-release screenshots, it is called Super Mario Bros. 4: Super Mario World, not Mario 4

this could be an alpha

before the whole SMB4 it might've just been mario 4

The Undertaker said:
Red said:

this could be an alpha

before the whole SMB4 it might've just been mario 4

Red, this could be a placeholder title. It appeared to be early, most sprites were closer to classic style. E.g. Koopas were on all fours, things like that.

Undertaker, you could be right! :D

I'd be very surprised if your friend sent you a true beta dump. There's no record of SMW proto cartridges being dumped (Well, there was this, but the guy claims it turned out identical to the final build) and if there's any, they're not publicly available.

Unseen 64 published a romhack "based on" screenshots of early builds (which, I suspect, is what he sent you) and there's an IPS patch that lets you access some of the unused stuff, but that's about it.

Back