Boston marathon explosions

The Spice Melange said:
Purple Yoshi said:
The Spice Melange said:
Purple Yoshi said:
In Australia, we don't have the death penalty. It's very strange looking at America like that.

Anyway, the guy is probably going to get the death penalty. I just want to know a motive before they kill him.

He will likely not get the death penalty. In fact, if he is tried as a civilian in the State of Massachusetts, it is impossible. This is because Mass. is among the 17 states without a death penalty.

That is so messed up.

How?

That your outcome depends on what state you are trialled in.

Purple Yoshi said:
The Spice Melange said:
Purple Yoshi said:
The Spice Melange said:
Purple Yoshi said:
In Australia, we don't have the death penalty. It's very strange looking at America like that.

Anyway, the guy is probably going to get the death penalty. I just want to know a motive before they kill him.

He will likely not get the death penalty. In fact, if he is tried as a civilian in the State of Massachusetts, it is impossible. This is because Mass. is among the 17 states without a death penalty.

That is so messed up.

How?

10th Amendment for you.

Purple Yoshi said:
The Spice Melange said:
Purple Yoshi said:
The Spice Melange said:
Purple Yoshi said:

That is so messed up.

How?

Welcome to having different opinions: politics edition.

So apparently the suspect is being denied his Miranda rights as per post-9/11 legislation. Basically, he no longer has the right to remain silent, nor the right to legal counsel, until later.

This basically means that the government can "persuade" him to talk because he doesn't actually have the right to remain silent, despite being a naturalized US citizen.

Am I the only one who is somewhat frightened by what our government has the power to do these days?

Yes, I've heard the reasoning that "it was necessary to determine whether the bombings were part of a larger plot". But there are other ways of determining that. It's not necessary to deprive a citizen of his basic legal and constitutional rights to do so - they could simply search his computer, phone records, etc.

That said, I do hope this guy gets the full punishment available under the law.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/04/next-for-bombing-suspect-high-value-detainee-interrogation-group/
...The exception, according to the FBI‘s website, “permits law enforcement to engage in a limited and focused unwarned interrogation and allows the government to introduce the statement as direct evidence.”

“Police officers confronting situations that create a danger to themselves or others may ask questions designed to neutralize the threat without first providing a warning of rights,” according to the FBI.
I'd like to know what exactly "interrogation" entails.

Marisa said:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/04/next-for-bombing-suspect-high-value-detainee-interrogation-group/
...The exception, according to the FBI‘s website, “permits law enforcement to engage in a limited and focused unwarned interrogation and allows the government to introduce the statement as direct evidence.”

“Police officers confronting situations that create a danger to themselves or others may ask questions designed to neutralize the threat without first providing a warning of rights,” according to the FBI.
I'd like to know what exactly "interrogation" entails.
Asking him questions in an intimidating way, I'd imagine.

Xerneas said:
Now, now, we are not like that.

Yes we are. Where were you for the eight or nine years after 9/11 when every conservative politician out there was lambasting Islam and making thinly veiled xenophobic statements?

Our country is completely made up of Immigrants.

Yes. That is why the aforementioned politicians are stupid.

Steuben, please let's not get into a political feud here.

I don't watch much media/news, so maybe I wasn't here for the past 8 or 9 years where everyone was completely bashing on all the middle easterns.

But I wasn't talking strictly about that whatsoever. I was talking about how Purple Yoshi was implying America being a backwards country and that we're all xenophobic about every immigrant. That's like saying that most Americans on this site completely hate all the people from the other countries when most of my closest Internet friends are from other countries, well as other American people.

But I really don't want talk about this more, so I'm stopping now.

I'm not sure what the man should get. He made terrorist-like moves and killed at least 3, but Mass is a non-death penalty state and that the 14th amendment might go into play, especially if it goes to the Supreme Court if they feel that the appellate court didn't make the right decision.

Xerneas said:
I was talking about how Purple Yoshi was implying America being a backwards country and that we're all xenophobic about every immigrant. That's like saying that most Americans on this site completely hate all the people from the other countries when most of my closest Internet friends are from other countries, well as other American people.

She wasn't implying that at all. She was pointing out that the general atmosphere of intolerance and bigotry toward Muslims after 9/11 could well be replicated in our attitudes toward immigrants after the bombing.

Good. They should take all those little bastards down. Nobody's getting away with terrorist attacks anymore.

Marisa said:
So apparently the suspect is being denied his Miranda rights as per post-9/11 legislation. Basically, he no longer has the right to remain silent, nor the right to legal counsel, until later.

This basically means that the government can "persuade" him to talk because he doesn't actually have the right to remain silent, despite being a naturalized US citizen.

are you sure

Lucina said:
Seems more to me like being in the wrong place at the wrong time... while they could have been actively assisting the bombers, they could also have only done it out of fear for their own lives.
Bulbasaur said:
Marisa said:

are you sure
pretty sure

It was absolutely ridiculous how they turned Boston into a police state! Suck lock down should be reserved for a threat of chemical warfare and not a scared 19 year old boy running for his life! The DHS is a disgrace and must be dismantled. I fear for what is to come.

Year of Luigi said:
Bostonians considered it patriotic to cheer for marital law. That disturbs me.

>marital law

>marital

mj-laughing.gif

Back