Marvel Cinematic Universe

Whose side are you on?

• Total voters
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/896217707623755777

tag yourself im "FOXmovieSHIT" from the credits

thought i'd drop in to tell you all that i saw thor ragnorok today and it's absolutely fantastic

i didn't actually think they'd be able to top civil war but they did and they did it spectacularly

I'll start with the basics - the way thor discovered loki was odin in disguise was very well played, dropping hints everywhere, and odin!loki's "oh shit" by anthony hopkins was brilliant

i was expecting doctor strange to have a larger role in the beginning of the film, but it was more of a cameo in a way. glad to see more of his skills however, good to know he's become the master of the mystic arts that he is in the comics. let's appreciate loki's "I'VE BEEN FALLING FOR 30 MINUTES" line

i was expecting odin to die tbh, he didn't appear in any of the trailers, and his on set photos were minimal. it makes sense that he wouldn't be around at all. hela being thor's sister caught me off guard though, wasn't expecting that one.

i was also shocked at the warriors 3's deaths, since they've been very major characters in the thor franchise, and then they're killed off in about 5 minutes. hela was surprisingly funny in this scene however, so it helped take the blows off their deaths a bit. that being said, where the hell is sif? protector of the throne and all that but when odin's dead and some evil chick comes along she's no where to be seen.

valkyrie's introduction was both hilarious and a good character defining moment - a drunken scavenger whose past failures have haunted her for a long time. didn't expect thor to go down so easily in this scene, but if it helps get the plot along, so be it.

i loved the grandmaster's introduction. really shows him as both silly yet sinister, killing his own cousin, and then claiming that he stepped in "its" remains.

the majority of the film takes place on sakaar, which i didn't think would work, but hey it does. thor's relationships with loki, korg, valkyrie and hulk are played very well. there's not much i can say about the fight scene, other than it's played out very well. the grandmaster fixing the fight had me a bit pissed at him, but that's the key to a great villain. goldblum played him well.

loved the black widow cameo, even if it was reused footage. also the reference to stark and sokovia made me fangasm a lot, so enjoyed that. during the breakout scene, loki's betrayal caught me off guard. so did his downfall at the hands of thor. it was a roller-coaster ride during that scene.

the last 30 minutes were wild - the whole "asgard is the people, not the place" arc didn't make me think as much as it should've, but it was a good chekov's gun to the end. Loki and Korg coming to the rescue was also unexpected, but i knew loki would come back eventually. still don't understand his second heel-face-turn but hey w/e

thor loses an eye - THOR LOSES A FUCKING EYE! that was the biggest wtf moment for me. was seriously expecting it to be some sort of illusion by loki, but nope - THOR LOSES A GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKING EYE!

i'm glad the final fight scene didn't involve just the four revengers - it involved korg, miek, heimdall, the majority of asgard's citizens, and, in a last minute heel-face-turn, skurge, who kicks ass with "des and troy". his heroic sacrifice will not be forgotten, he was a true bro in the end.

surtur's revival and the destruction of asgard was the biggest twist of the entire film - all that history and shit completely gone, the setting for so much of the previous films are just kaput. one thing i can say is that surtur did not disappoint, in his brief appearance he manages to kick thor's ass, kill hela, and destroy asgard, both the buildings AND the foundations, so that there's literally nothing left

the ending happened fairly fast in my opinion - thor becomes king of the new asgard - which is a massive ship, he gets an odin eyepatch over his dead eye, he's got a new set of warriors to fight alongside him (that's loki, valkyrie, hulk, heimdall, korg and miek) and he's off to relocate the entire asgardian culture to a new society on earth

...until thanos arrives mid-credits to fuck everything up. My only question was "what was thor planning on doing with the asgardians on earth?" it's not like he couldn't stick them there without people knowing about it. is he going to build the new asgard there? what's going on?!

end credits scene is a bit naff really, but hey, it's worth it to see about 5 seconds of goldblum as the grandmaster again

now for the character reviews

thor is as good as ever, i love loki's character development, glad hulk can speak now, hela's another brilliant villain addition, all that jazz

korg is one of the highlights of the film in my opinion. his comedy helps bring a slightly lighter tone to the film. i wasn't expecting him to have a role larger than the one we saw on jimmy kimmel, what with him being played by the director and all, but i'm glad he had a large role. i heard that they're bringing him and miek in for future installments which is brilliant

goldblum as the grandmaster was also a good addition, definitely one of the highlights of the movie. as i said before, his silly and cheerful personality is overshadowing his more sinister motives, such as literally melting his own cousin, rigging the match in his favour, and calling a hit on thor after he leaves with hulk. he also has the whole stressy child thing down which can play to both the silly and the sinister natures. definitely a worthwhile villain, hope we see more of him later

Skurge was a badass character, even if he was just a janitor. the conflict the character had really showed through karl urban's acting, was one of the many treats of the film. his reluctance to join hela at the beginning is further emphasised when he is about to execute one of the citizens,
and then again right at the end when he eventually switches sides and sacrifices himself to save everyone on the ship. I'm glad he was more of a misunderstood villain than what the promotional materials showed, but he was badass fullstop.

overall an amazing film, a perfect addition to the mcu, and heck if you have the time, go see this film, it's worth it

So I just got out from seeing it. Really fun movie. Some plot stuff. Idk I'll probably post note when I get home

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

guys

Is this a dream.

Seriously, because I was pondering that exact what-if while I was in bed last night.

just saying, i called this exact situation many years back and was ridiculed for it

ergo you all owe me an apology kthnxbai

Just saw Thor Ragnarok

I loved this movie. This is the Thor movie we needed. Thor, Loki, Hulk all on point and I loved Valkyrie, the Grandmaster, and especially Korg. Hela was a fine villain but I was definitely left wanting more from her. Though I didn't see a body so you never know. She's the Goddess of Death after all.

The comedy was some of the best we've ever had in the MCU. So many funny moments. Banner jumping out of the ship, the stage play, all of Jeff Goldblum, the snake story, "get help". and Hela calling the gauntlet in Odin's vault fake, which clears up that glaring continuity error. And Korg, My god, what an absolute treat. One of the best comedic characters we've had.

But I also felt the drama was very good. There were actual consequences. Odin is dead, Thor has lost his eye and Mjolnir, and Asgard is just gone. And with that post credits scene, I feel like Infinity War is gonna open with Thanos laying waste to most of the people. I fear that may be the last we see of Heimdal and Korg.

Speaking of character deaths, the Warriors Three got killed in an almost insulting matter. Two of them didn't even get a line. It at least established Hela as a threat, but I would have had all three standing up to her before getting killed off, not just Hogun. Also there's the fact that Sif never shows up and that's never addressed. Apparently Feige says she's in exile, but at least one line would have cleared that up.

All in all, a great fun film and I can't wait for Black Panther in February. luckily, AoS picks back up in December so I don't have to wait too much longer for more MCU goodness.

the guardians of the galaxy 2 poster is nice i guess, and i also think thor ragnarok has a cool design

i just don't get the point of releasing a teaser "poster" that's literally just a logo though. like, what's it supposed to accomplish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfuNTqbHE8

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

what the hell is going on

i might legit read one of those shot by shot analyses because i don't understand anything going on here

i haven't seen the last two yet but

the whole trailer has so much stuff packed into it but you can only see it for like half a second. i think i saw the hulkbuster at some point? and there's a ton of shit thrown into this and i have idea how this is gonna be shorter than 3 hours

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-buy-21st-century-fox-assets-including-film-studio-bob-iger-extends-2021-1065347?utm_source=twitter

Disney in announcing the deal focused on how "popular entertainment properties" will join the "Disney family," saying: "Combining with Disney are 21st Century Fox’s critically acclaimed film production businesses, including Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures and Fox 2000, which together offer diverse and compelling storytelling businesses and are the homes of X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool

they're coming home

On one hand, the consolidation and monopolization on display from Disney is somewhat frightening and could be harmful to the industry.

On the other hand, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

This... does put a smile on my face.

Also, Black Panther comes out in two weeks! Hell yeah! On the other hand, Agents of SHIELD is on break for four weeks. Ugh.

INFINITY WAR GOT PUSHED UP A WEEK! NOW COMING OUT INTERNATIONALLY ON APRIL 27TH! I NOW HAVE EVEN LESS TIME TO COMPLETE MY REWATCH!

Also, Black Panther was absolutely phenomenal. Easily one of my favorite Marvel films. I loved the characters, the worlds, the cinematography. If you haven't seen it yet stop what you're doing and go see it.

Also, Killmonger is one of the best villains Marvel has ever put to screen.

Back