G4 getting rebranded this year

MCS

Donkey Kong
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/10/g4-rebranded-esquire-channel_n_2270854.html

This really sucks. I love G4. It's where I watch E3 every year, and not only that, I love Attack of the Show and X-Play. So now, they're rebranding it to the Esquire Channel, aimed at metrosexual viewers.

All of this rebranding is gonna take place through the first half of 2013, and I saw a commercial for the final episodes of Attack of the Show today. Sigh.

I don't blame him. I mean, I know G4 gets some bad rap, but they broadcast some really great game-related shows, in my opinion. I don't mind watching Cops and Quantum Leap either, which they broadcast on a regular basis.

So apparently, this ain't happening anymore.

Instead, G4 will just remain a "dead" station, with nothing but re-runs of Cops, Ninja Warrior, Campus PD, Bomb Patrol: Afghanistan, and the like, with no new programming. While I'm honestly fine with this and would rather watch these than shows aimed at metrosexual guys (which is what this Esquire Network targeted, if you didn't know), it's going to get kinda boring without X-Play and Attack of the Show. Well, aside from the X-Play re-runs, which are all outdated so it kinda ruins the purpose anyways.

I'm honestly unsure how long G4's going to last at this point. I figure it can't last too much longer if it's just going to be a station full of re-runs.

MCS said:
While I'm honestly fine with this and would rather watch these than shows aimed at metrosexual guys
Leave metrosexuals alone, they didn't do anything to you.

Puddin said:
Crocodile Dippy said:
MCS said:
While I'm honestly fine with this and would rather watch these than shows aimed at metrosexual guys
except trying to replace my TITS AND EXPLOSIONS!!

well there is plenty of homosexual entertainment anyway.

i'm more mad at G4 changing focus from video games and computers to reality shows and action shows. (tits and explosions)

i wasn't okay with that change, but honestly now that i've thought about it, i couldn't care too much less about this change. however, if the case had been that it was changing straight from video games and computers to esquire i would probably be annoyed with the change.

if the sci fi channel randomly changes into a food network and i get pissed off, it doesn't mean i'm foodphobic... it means i liked the channel the way it was.

You foodphobe! Why are you against food being portrayed in the media? It's not a sin to be food, people!

Crocodile Dippy said:

*sigh* i had a feeling someone would quote me out on that. I'm not bashing metrosexuals or anything, I'm just saying I'm not interested in watching shows aimed at them. There's a difference.

I don't have anything against that demographic of people, so don't automatically assume I do.

your phrasing made it sound as if you find metrosexual people disgusting though

this isn't about whether you intended to express disgust at them, and nobody is assuming that you do. but what you need to understand is that regardless of your intent, people can be hurt by the things you say. it doesn't make you a bad person, it just means that it would be appreciated if you could be a little bit more careful

i don't know... on one hand, when i saw MCS's post i didn't take it as a bash on meterosexuals until dippy replied. (although it was probably also seen as one because of the attitude in the previous posts, such as my initial "LOL" at the news of G4 being rebranded)

on the other hand MCS, i feel you were too defensive afterword and it made your original intentions look even more ambiguous. furthermore if you "had a feeling" someone was going to call you out on it, you should've phrased it differently in the first place.

i think all of us would be better off if we practiced more effective communication rather than being vague or jumping to conclusions. just my two cents.

Zae said:

As a homosexual person who watches a lot of admittedly really gay things myself, I'm curious as to what shows you are referring to, what you qualify as "plenty", and what makes something "homosexual entertainment", since in my experience all of these shows are confined to one or two channels that are not available to everyone.

Also, my feelings on having a brain-dead G4 are mixed. I never really watched the network beyond the occasional Ninja Warrior or if one of their talk shows magically had something that interested me on it as I was flipping by, so my opinions aren't too strong. It was nice to have a network try to fill that sort of niche, and it seemed awkward to replace it with basically another Spike, but it just sorta being there really doesn't...do anything? Basically, I agree with the quote in that one article: "That said, I think we’re past the point of needing a “geek” TV channel, as such geeks can find their programming elsewhere, and mainly on the internet, which is a far more effective delivery vehicle than television anyway." The internet is more widely available to people than G4 ever was and ever would be, and can easily cover even more niches that 'geek' culture has beyond video games. I guess that's where the future of 'geek' entertainment will be, and I feel that it's what's more appropriate nowadays anyways.

Politoed said:
Zae said:

As a homosexual person who watches a lot of admittedly really gay things myself, I'm curious as to what shows you are referring to, what you qualify as "plenty", and what makes something "homosexual entertainment", since in my experience all of these shows are confined to one or two channels that are not available to everyone.

well i remember a lot of homosexual focused movies on netflix, they even had an entire category of them so yeah.

As ive also seen some homosexual focused shows on satellite tv before, of course they was some time ago.

As for actual names though im uncertain since i dont watch many movies or tv shows.

Ok well Netflix doesn't really count because they have categories for literally everything. Anyways there's Bravo and Logo and that's pretty much it. I could go ahead and list the programs myself, but it's much easier to link: Bravo and Logo. Those are lists of their complete programming but from my experiences, Bravo almost constantly airs a Real Housewives of _____ with some of their other Bored Rich People reality shows, which I guess are really popular amongst the general gay community?? Logo is more geared towards the LGBT community, with all programming actually being about LGBT things instead of just things that gay men find interesting. Even the commercials often are about raising awareness of HIV/AIDS prevention, care, etc. As for what the bulk of the air-time is, it's various seasons of RuPaul's Drag Race almost always, except I think on the weekends it's like a 16 hour marathon of Roseanne or the Golden Girls, with various movies and gay sex themed talk shows sprinkled into random slots.

While it's still reality that both gay people and straight people enjoy the same shows on other networks (and even straight people enjoying Bravo and Logo), 1, maybe 2 dedicated networks, that rerun the same few shows every day, in the vast sea of several hundred other channels, isn't really 'plenty'.

well i guess im just being ignorant then.

Sorry about that.

It's ok I forgive you. But as penance, you need to watch at least one full season of RuPaul's Drag Race. I recommend season 3 because it has Raja. Although season 2 has Pandora Boxx and season 4 has Sharon Needles..........

Back