Mario Super Sluggers

Cheeze

Blooper
Just played this for the first time last night and wow, the controls are terrible. I'm using the Wiimote + Nunchuk and there are some problems. 1.) There are too many controls to remember and 2.) fielding is a nightmare. When I go to run after a ball with one character, it turns out the game had me locked onto another character, one I had no intention on using. So I pay the price for the bad controls. Jumping into the air to catch a ball is a joke. I go to do a running jump to catch a ball, but instead I fall to the ground. I also struggle to get home runs, even with power hitters. Not to mention, every hitter I face hits the ball no matter what combination of throws I use.

I've gone through the tutorial TWICE and I'm still getting my butt kicked by the level 2 (veteran) CPUs. I really don't understand why so many people say this game is easy. Mario Superstar Baseball has been easier than this game so far, and that game was tricky to learn too. A 6-0 lead blown in two innings should not happen, but it did because of the controls.

So I'm asking this. How do I get good at this game? Are there any big tips anyone can give me before I throw this game in the trash? I'm so close to doing that (or returning it).

Just finished the tutorial and free practice mode with just the Wiimote, no Nunchuk. It feels more comfortable and easy to use, but I hate how everything is now automatic. Especially with batting. The batter doesn't automatically go to the ball and I end up whiffing a lot because of this. Why can't I have control the batter with this control scheme?

Same goes with everything else. Pitching is awkward and I can't move left or right, I can't control just one base runner when more than one player is on a base, and the computer basically fields the ball for me. At least fielding, jumping seems to be repaired. I know it looks like I want to go back to the Nunchuk, but I don't. That element made the game almost unplayable for me. I just don't like that I have to watch the computer do almost everything for me. I don't want that, I might as well watch MLB on TV. Bear in mind, I haven't played challenge mode yet. I might have different feelings about this once I play that.

Right now though, this game has been a huge disappointment. Worse than Mario Superstar Baseball, which wasn't spectacular either. What a letdown.

No offense, but I think you just suck at the game.

The controls are easy to get a hang of. I don't see your problem

BTW, have you been using WiiMote on the side? At all?

Baby Luigi said:
No offense, but I think you just suck at the game.

The controls are easy to get a hang of. I don't see your problem

BTW, have you been using WiiMote on the side? At all?

I know you said no offense, but you could've been less rude. Just saying.

Right now, I'm using the Wiimote vertically without Nunchuk. Is there actually a difference between using it like that and using it sideways w/o a Nunchuk?

I don't know how can I say this in a nicer fashion. Because naturally, I'm mean

YoYoYoshi said:
Right now, I'm using the Wiimote vertically without Nunchuk. Is there actually a difference between using it like that and using it sideways w/o a Nunchuk?

Yes there is. Sideways wiimote plays similarly to the Mario Superstar Baseball games

I'm trying to use the sideways technique right now, but for some reason I can't get it to work. I'm doing the free batting practice session and I'm trying to do what the instruction book is telling me to do. It clearly says I can move the batter. However, I can't move the batter left or right. I'm assuming the other aspects of the game like pitching won't work with this scheme.

Is there a place where I can change control schemes?

Yeah. You can change it while you are in the middle of the game. Press +, go to Controls (or whatever), and click on the Wiimote Icon. It should get changed to Sideways Wiimote.

You can also change control scheme right before you play a minigame too. Same thing: click on the Controller and it should change.

I seem to like the vertical control scheme the most. Even though it's mainly automatic, I find that it makes the game more enjoyable. The last three exhibition games I've played, I shutout the veteran CPU with my 15+ runs (highest being 22 I think, and this was with five innings; imagine if it was nine).

My point is, the game is fun now. :yoshi:

So all of this rant was rubbish after all then?

ITT This game sucks because I'm bad at it

Sombrero Guy said:
Anser said:
But playing with the Wiimote + Nunchuk combo is so easy :|...
Until you are fielding

That's easy too, unless you want to dash with the ball

Baby Luigi said:

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot I was dealing with this site's residential troll. My bad. Is this guy always difficult to deal with?

And no, I don't suck at this game. The vertical Wiimote has made life easier for me and I can shutout everyone in a big way. I just mercy ruled Bowser in challenge mode and I'll do it again.

Sombrero Guy said:
YoYoYoshi said:
Baby Luigi said:

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot I was dealing with this site's residential troll. My bad. Is this guy always difficult to deal with?
she's female

This is news to me. I seldom post here, so I didn't know. I just know that she (I got it right this time) makes a lot of comments, some of them disruptive.

Rocket J. Squirrel said:
And she's not the residential troll.

thats shoeys job

Again, my visits here are seldom. Who's that?

YoYoYoshi said:
Baby Luigi said:

Oh I apologize for the "no offense" remark I made. And calling me a troll? Are you sure you know the definition of "troll"? What are you trying to achieve here by calling me a "residential troll"? Relying to insults to defend yourself? Are you really kidding me you cannot defend yourself without using some sort of insult?

I can go into full detail on why just because you do poorly in with the controls doesn't mean it's the game's fault. Why don't you just admit that you haven't mastered the controls yet? Have you observed that nearly no one else here complains about the controls but you?

And wasn't I giving you instructions on HOW to change your controls? Do trolls often help you out?

This statement is concrete proof that you haven't mastered the game's controls yet

1.) There are too many controls to remember

EVERY new game has "too many controls to remember". EVERY NEW GAME has controls you are unfamiliar with. OF COURSE you can't memorize the controls on the get-go. It's not like, boom, I memorized the controls on the first try, whoopee!

The message that this topic is trying to convey is that "I'm a newb at the game, therefore it sucks." This is your first time playing, right? Then why are trying to beat level 2 people with controls you are not used to yet!?

Just because I can be mean and straight to the point at times does not mean I'm a troll

Baby Luigi said:
YoYoYoshi said:
Baby Luigi said:

Oh I apologize for the "no offense" remark I made. And calling me a troll? Are you sure you know the definition of "troll"? What are you trying to achieve here by calling me a "residential troll"? Relying to insults to defend yourself? Are you really kidding me you cannot defend yourself without using some sort of insult?

I can go into full detail on why just because you do poorly in with the controls doesn't mean it's the game's fault. Why don't you just admit that you haven't mastered the controls yet? Have you observed that nearly no one else here complains about the controls but you?

And wasn't I giving you instructions on HOW to change your controls? Do trolls often help you out?

This statement is concrete proof that you haven't mastered the game's controls yet

1.) There are too many controls to remember

EVERY new game has "too many controls to remember". EVERY NEW GAME has controls you are unfamiliar with. OF COURSE you can't memorize the controls on the get-go. It's not like, boom, I memorized the controls on the first try, whoopee!

The message that this topic is trying to convey is that "I'm a newb at the game, therefore it sucks." This is your first time playing, right? Then why are trying to beat level 2 people with controls you are not used to yet!?

Just because I can be mean and straight to the point at times does not mean I'm a troll

Alright, I'm sorry.

You're right though, I am a newb (not n00b, but newb) at this game. Even though I walloped Bowser in challenge mode, I'm still kind of figuring out how this stuff works. However, I think for the most part, they're not that big of a problem anymore. The game no longer seems bad to me. I'm actually enjoying it right now. It's pretty fun.

So I guess NSY's right. This topic is now pointless. Sorry for wasting your time and sorry for calling you out like that BL.

Sorry if I sounded a little too brash. I tend to explode like that. But the key is that I don't use insults to get my point across.

Eh at least you know I'm a mean person. Doesn't make me a bad guy, just a mean one.

Back