Unused files

Baby Luigi said:
Actually, GIMP can smooth out the edges too using a feathering tool. This is how this picture of Wario gets good transparency due to a feathering technique my sister uses.
Feather tool, eh? I gotta check that out, thanks.

In GIMP, when selecting edges, you can enable feathering, which smoothes the edges out. You have to experiment with it, though, as I can't say how much feathering or how much selecting you do to get the desired result.

About "Unused" I remember seeing a rule that an image must be used in a week of the date of uploading it. and I think even if those images maybe good.. I think they should be deleted.. unless there is a direct way to use them.

If you think those images are good, then implement them into an article before they get deleted

Right.. That's ok.. we better have another look at all of 'em and ten mark pictures which has no directly use by {{Unused|~~~~~}}

Alright Glowsquid said:
I reverted your edits Template:Unused as the template is unused and the notice at the bottom is outdated- the staff has long since decided that deleting potentialy good images simply because they're unusused is not desirable. If an unused image is tagged for deletion, the tag should show why it's redundant or otherwise useless.
and then he deleted the whole template.
Why? Why just keep many images just because they are good? I didn't say deleting images immediately, but I said give the image some time (a week) and inform the user who uploaded it. We can't have so many unused images, just because the MAY be good!

Unused images do no harm. Deleting images that might improve the wiki does no good. Convoluted templates are a bad way to try and handle stuff like this.

Images are usually unused because they were removed from somewhere, and pestering whoever uploaded the image (potentially months earlier) probably won't net any results. It'd be better to try and find out where the image was before it was orphaned, and learn why it was removed (maybe it was replaced and should be deleted, maybe it shouldn't have been removed at all and should be put back up), or use {{talk}} to try and draw the attention of someone who could find a use for it. And in cases where someone did upload something and then wandered off, you can always ask them about it without the song and dance of a template and an arbitrary deadline.

Back