Unused files

MCS

Donkey Kong
Ever since my ban on MarioWiki I haven't really been going on it much. Lately I figured I'd start checking out the place some more, reading articles and the like, looking at everything. Eventually, I looked at some of the special pages, and realized the number of unused files is outrageous. Nearly 500 of them. I'm sure not all of them need to be deleted, but a majority of them do, and it would be nice if some admins could collab on this. When I was on the wiki in 2010, the unused files were never this bad.

Thanks in advance.
 

Pyro

Power Star
Some of these files. I don't even know why they're not used! Look at all the good BiS sprites, LM portraits, PMTTYD bestiary pics...

Only a few of these should be deleted.
 

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Forum Moderator
Wiki Bureaucrat
Core 'Shroom Staff
I've started deleting somes that were clearly replaced pictures someone forgot to tag and using good ones, but there are some trickier ones. I have no idea what to do with File:Famiconrob.jpg and I can,t tell if File:Army_Dillo.gif is a (shit-quality) artwork or cropped from a screenshot.

PMTTYD bestiary pics
Those I thought of deleting as they're tiny, blurry and have nothing over the artwork and model rips most of the relevant pages have.
 

MCS

Donkey Kong
Baby Luigi said:
Like, all pictures I replaced in Mario Party I forgot to tag for deletion
Oh boy

Glowsquid said:
I've started deleting somes that were clearly replaced pictures someone forgot to tag and using good ones, but there are some trickier ones. I have no idea what to do with File:Famiconrob.jpg and I can,t tell if File:Army_Dillo.gif is a (shit-quality) artwork or cropped from a screenshot.

PMTTYD bestiary pics
Those I thought of deleting as they're tiny, blurry and have nothing over the artwork and model rips most of the relevant pages have.
Great, keep up the good work. I see you started to insert a few decent unused images into pages, too. Nicely done.
 

Walkazo

Thou liest!
Wiki Bureaucrat
Baby Luigi said:
Like, all pictures I replaced in Mario Party I forgot to tag for deletion
*Banned. ;P

Glowsquid said:
PMTTYD bestiary pics
Those I thought of deleting as they're tiny, blurry and have nothing over the artwork and model rips most of the relevant pages have.
I dunno, I think it'd be worth keeping them around as supplemental images. It seems senseless to delete unique images. I'd say it might even be better to use those images for the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door bestiary page, rather than the assortment of images of all different shapes, sizes and qualities that currently make the chart look a bit messy, IMHO.
 

MCS

Donkey Kong
Walkazo said:
I dunno, I think it'd be worth keeping them around as supplemental images. It seems senseless to delete unique images. I'd say it might even be better to use those images for the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door bestiary page, rather than the assortment of images of all different shapes, sizes and qualities that currently make the chart look a bit messy, IMHO.
That actually sounds like a decent idea. It would be similar to the list of Catch Cards (which looks really damn good now, by the way). I would love to help, but y'know.
 

Walkazo

Thou liest!
Wiki Bureaucrat
I can do it myself. In fact, I can put all the images up tomorrow unless anyone opposes...
 

MCS

Donkey Kong
Walkazo said:
I can do it myself. In fact, I can put all the images up tomorrow unless anyone opposes...
I don't think anyone will oppose. Besides, that'll take out a good chunk of the unused files. There's like, what, over 200 enemies in the bestiary?
 

Pyro

Power Star
Walkazo said:
I dunno, I think it'd be worth keeping them around as supplemental images. It seems senseless to delete unique images. I'd say it might even be better to use those images for the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door bestiary page, rather than the assortment of images of all different shapes, sizes and qualities that currently make the chart look a bit messy, IMHO.
Yeah, I agree with Walkazo here. I liked it better with the bestiary images than the mess of oversized sprites and artwork.

EDIT: I looked, and only Magnus 2.0 and the Shadow Queen still have their bestiary pics.
 

YoshiGo99

Shine Sprite
Walkazo said:
I can do it myself. In fact, I can put all the images up tomorrow unless anyone opposes...
Maybe if we can also get someone to make them high quality, just a though since they are small and blurry.

Also we should still keep sprites of the enemies and
 

Pyro

Power Star
The sprites of the enemies can obviously stay, but what we're saying is that the bestiary pics should be used for that article.
YoshiGo99 said:
Maybe if we can also get someone to make them high quality, just a though since they are small and blurry.
Per.
 

Walkazo

Thou liest!
Wiki Bureaucrat
YoshiGo99 said:
Walkazo said:
I can do it myself. In fact, I can put all the images up tomorrow unless anyone opposes...
Maybe if we can also get someone to make them high quality, just a though since they are small and blurry.
Weren't they small and blurry in the game itself (I haven't played it in a while, mind you, so I could be remembering wrong).

Anyway, all the unused tattle images are now on the page, but a lot of the enemies don't have tattle images (they're either in use somewhere else, which I doubt, or they were never uploaded / got deleted in the past (and cannot be recovered)), so if someone can track some down, even if they're still small and blurry, it'd be better than nothing.
 

Lakituthequick

Art by BBQ Turtle
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Sombrero Guy said:
Lakituthequick said:
Just some fun facts about deleting files.

They aren't deleted from the server, they are moved to another folder so they can be reverted by an admin with appropriate rank.

At least, if its enabled.
Special:Undelete?
Yes.
 

Pyro

Power Star
Here's the list of guys still needing a bestiary pic:

-Dark Boo
-Dark Puff
-Frost Piranha
-Fuzzy
-Green Fuzzy
-Ice Puff
-Poison Pokey
-Putrid Piranha
-Ruff Puff
-Spiky Parabuzzy
-X-Naut
-X-Naut PHD
-Yux

Walkazo said:
Anyway, all the unused tattle images are now on the page, but a lot of the enemies don't have tattle images (they're either in use somewhere else, which I doubt, or they were never uploaded / got deleted in the past (and cannot be recovered)), so if someone can track some down, even if they're still small and blurry, it'd be better than nothing.
I think some users must be using a few, as I remember seeing bestiary pics for Goombas and such in the past. I believe I have some saved on my computer.

EDIT: Turns out I had a ton that were missing. Uploaded a few, now for a scavenger hunt!
 

Walkazo

Thou liest!
Wiki Bureaucrat
Pyro said:
EDIT: Turns out I had a ton that were missing. Uploaded a few, now for a scavenger hunt!
Lucky break! Nice job.

Also, before I forget to mention it again, the Green Magikoopa picture isn't actually a proper bestiary pic: it's been cropped. But I figured it'd look less inconsistent than the old pic, so I put it in there until we can get something better.
 

Pyro

Power Star
I've got a hold of the remaining ones, so all I have to do is upload them.

Now, let's see about the other unused files.
 
Top