• NSMBU

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
NSY said:
Joltik said:
Christmas Crackin355 said:
Joltik said:
Christmas Crackin355 said:
I think what they were going for with U was to make the main story/path/whatever easier so that anyone could play it without much trouble. Then the optional stuff like the special world and challenges they tried to make challenging. Which I honestly think is the right way to do things with such a well-known series.

its actually quite boring.

Making the part that you have to do incredibly easy is what you call the right thing to do?

I mean if you suck at platformers i guess that's good but really it can literally bore a person and just make them not motivated to play at all. I'm pretty sure people actually want to put their skills to the test without the game being a complete joke.

The Mario series is a pretty huge franchise, so there are bound to be more than a few casual gamers or gamers that suck at platformers.

Really, from what I can see, there's the challenges and special world for people who want to be challenged and the main game for those who suck at it. It caters to both people, so I think it's not a complete joke, but a pretty smart design choice.

If you really want to challenge yourself try not using power-ups or something. If its boring you because it's so easy, then try make it harder yourself. I don't really care about if a game is difficult or not, as long as its playable without any major bugs or glitches.

Also, just going to make this clear because this doesn't get through to people a lot, but I'm not trying to say you have to like it or should do anything I suggested, I'm just justifying why I believe is what the right choice since you did ask me if its what I call the right thing to do and I wanted to get everything out that I can so I don't have to do Continous stream of posts explaining my reasoning.

I don't really see why a big franchise has to have easy difficulty all around.

Megaman is very huge and alot of its games are quite challenging. Sonic is also a big franchise and is far more difficult than mario as well. Quite frankly using huge franchise as an excuse for it be easy seems like a really bad reason.

Anyway I don't really like limiting myself for a game to be hard, because that's just boring and usually comes of as bleh.

I'd much rather use all my skills and be challenged, now that my friends, is fun.
Most retro Mario games were hard as hell and the series is still Medium difficulty. While retro Sonic was quite hard, retro Mario was a lot harder trust me, I can not beat SMB3. Sonic Colors was quite an easy game in my opinion and I still enjoyed it anyway so sometimes the difficulty doesn't matter, please keep that in mind Zae.

uh most retro mario games had average difficulty at best, only real hard thing in smb3 is world 7 because of ice everywhere, and smb was just harder due to not being able to do much in a lot of situations.
I don't mind games not being the hardest things ever but mario is a bit off the wall at this point in time since it pretty much hands the game to you, instead of you working hard to finish it.

Indeed SMB2: The Lost Levels was hard as hell.

Well it is indeed, the hardest mario game, which i utterly enjoyed btw, doesn't really make up for the entire series.

Mario is the biggest selling videogame franchise, comparing it to mega man and sonic is just what I mean, they aren't as big and that way they offer a bit more freedom in how they do things because they're not trying to keep the amount of people playing Mario games playing their games.

You don't understand what I'm trying to say, maybe because your seeing it from the viewpoint of someone who wants a challenge and doesn't like the game itself while I'm seeing it from Nintendo trying to make the game accessible for everyone. Which I believe they did successfully, since they have easy parts but also hard parts.

uh please explain why a game has to be easy to be accessible.

Plenty of good games are accessible and are still challenging.

Joltik said:
uh please explain why a game has to be easy to be accessible.

Plenty of good games are accessible and are still challenging.

Just because its easy for you, doesn't make it easy for everyone. You're making it sound like everyone could blaze through it with no trouble, which is wrong since there are a lot of people who are casual gamers and probably have a bit of a hard time at the end. The game isn't entirely easy either, you're saying 'the game is easy', but what are you referring as 'the game'. There are the challenges which you haven't said a word about. Are you ignoring them on purpose to prove your point or do you just not want to play them.

The Mario series isn't mega man or sonic, it's the Mario series, and as far as I'm concerned, the past few years of Mario have set it up for being a franchise anyone can beat, which is why it sells so well anyway, because when people see it, they don't think 'these games are too hard, fuck that', they either buy it simply because its Mario or because they know they can actually play it without dying constantly and getting annoyed.

What I don't think you understand is those other games that are challenging but accessible, obviously aren't as big as the Mario franchise. Unlike those other games, to keep their fan base they need to make it accessible for everyone. And by everyone, I mean everyone. Even someone who sucks horribly at platformers could get through a fair way.

You seem to not understand what I'm saying because you think everyone Is actually decent at platformers. There are people who buy the game for fun and others for a challenge, guess what, they deliver both, depending on how good you are, your fun might be with the challenges or in the main story.

I'm just trying to explain why what they did is a smart design choice, you just don't seem to understand anything I'm saying.

well im not really that good at platformers though, since they're not really my area, but i still find them pretty easy.

Butttt I can see where you're coming from, even though that's still poor reasoning.

They didn't do that shit Crackin' so, so lauding with DKCR, and it sold MILLIONS. How can you defend your argument with that fact?
I don't give a SHIT about casual gamers. I literally do not give a shit about them. I would not take a shit to save them all. I would deliberately hold it in until my act of doing so could no longer save them.

99% of the levels are PISS EASY and they still have that super guide shit. Why not make them challenging and let the casualings use the stupid thing? Crackin, why not make the MAIN STORY average, but make getting 100% balls-to-the-wall hard? Why did NSMBWii only have ONE level like 9-7? Why not at least 10?!!! Are they worried some casual gamers will want to complete it 100% too?!!!!!!!?

The status quo is BORING and I don't like it. That why DKCR became so addictive because it was hard. And I ignored that pesky pig everytime I gave him the finger. But he WAS there for casual gamers who suck.

The point I'm framing is that in these later stages of gaming, Mario HAS a hardcore base that cannot be ignored. And don't say that challenge mode I mean THE MAIN STORY. Hardcore gamers from the days that we now assosiate with hardcore games (late '80s, early '90s) actually did not exist in those days. I'm not kidding. The word "gamer" didn't ever exist until the mid-late '90s. Back in the days when games gave buckoo challenge, videogamers just wanted to play for fun. AND NOW IT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE! There are hardcore gamers THRIVING for a challenge that Nintendo will not give.

But how the hell, since most are not playing until Christmas, do people even KNOW what NSMBU is more of the status quo? From people who DO know, I'm going to ask a few questions and I want the answers to just be YES or NO

1. EXCLUDING Star Coins and Challenge Mode, is the game as hard as DKCR
2. If not, does it at least come close in some areas?
3. Excluding the same as question 1, is the game harder than NSMBWII?
4. If yes, a lot?
5. If not a lot, then a little?
6. Are there more than one level like 9-7 in NSMBWii?
7. If yes, are there at least ten like it?
8. If no, are there at least a few like it?
9. INCLUDING Challenge Mode and Getting all the Star Coins/beating all the levels, is this something EVERYONE would eventually be able to accomplish, or only the best of the best (like getting 200% of DKCR)
10. Is it easy to catch Nabbit?

I don't think you will understand what I was trying to say, since you started off saying that game companies shouldn't care about the casual audience.

Nintendo made a good choice with how they handled things, if they didn't add the challenge mode or the extra world then they would've fucked up, because there would be nothing for those that are good at the games.

Those who care about difficulty get challenges and special world. Those who aren't good at the games get the main story levels. Everyone gets something, ranging from those that are horrible at it to those that are amazing at it.

I get the feeling you're just angry that you aren't getting what you want, since your entire post is filled with '!', '?' and 'im angreh' capitals. I get that you want the main story to be hard, but tough luck, Nintendo has all types of different people buying their game and they need to give something to all of them. Super Guide is for those who will use it, but the game won't be good for them if all they actually do is use the super guide to pass levels, they won't feel accomplished and they won't like the game. If mario's 'hardcore' audience (The first I've heard of it) doesn't feel accomplished for the main story, they will when they go for gold on each of the challenges.

I'm not trying to say that you should like the game still, I'm just saying that I believe Nintendo handled it well. You just ask me why I think that and then I respond with why I think that, which nobody seems to understand what I'm saying.

Nintendo has a large casual audience since they spent their time on the Wii building up their casual audience, they can't just throw it away because someone on the internet says they shouldn't give a crap about them.

This all started because I said about how I thought they handled it well, and everyone disagreed. I imagined people would blow my opinion out of proportion, but not this far. If you don't understand why I think they did well, then it's either because you're too angry to accept my opinion on the matter as mine or you actually can't understand what I'm trying to say. Either way, I said everything I possibly can on it (I even repeated stuff to try and make it easier to understand), so I'm out.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
They didn't do that shit Crackin' so, so lauding with DKCR, and it sold MILLIONS. How can you defend your argument with that fact?
I don't give a fuck about casual gamers. I literally do not give a fuck about them. I would not take a fuck to save them all. I would deliberately hold it in until my act of doing so could no longer save them.

99% of the levels are PISS EASY and they still have that super guide shit. Why not make them challenging and let the casualings use the stupid thing? Crackin, why not make the MAIN STORY average, but make getting 100% balls-to-the-wall hard? Why did NSMBWii only have ONE level like 9-7? Why not at least 10?!!! Are they worried some casual gamers will want to complete it 100% too?!!!!!!!?
Don't diss casual gamers not everyone plays to get all the shit in the games I play for fun

Although i did 100% Wii minus all Hint Videos

Crackin, you're ignoring the fact that DKCR is the hardest Nintendo game in years and was still hugely successful. The ideal situation that would please everyone would be as follows:

-Make a Mario game about as difficult as SMB3
-Include some form of the Super Guide for amateur players
-Add extra challenging special levels

Growing up, I found difficult games very rewarding, and most kids today would respond in the same way. For those that don't, throw in a few handicaps.

strong words for a nine year old. You have to realize that not everyone is a hardcore gamer. You are being a prick who's only thinking about himself. If Nintendo doesn't appeal to casual gamers, not as much money is made. Appealing to both audiences is good for business. Besides, nothing's forcing you to use the Super Guide or Invincibility Leaf.

Champion Christmas said:
strong words for a nine year old. You have to realize that not everyone is a hardcore gamer. You are being a prick who's only thinking about himself. If Nintendo doesn't appeal to casual gamers, not as much money is made. Appealing to both audiences is good for business. Besides, nothing's forcing you to use the Super Guide or Invincibility Leaf.
Yeah Nintendo are appealing to both Casual and Hardcore audiences. NSMBU has a hardcore side plus a lot of the Wii U launch range are hardcore games.

Champion Christmas said:

Yeah i can agree on this atleast, while i myself don't see the whole point on games being too easy just for casual gamers, brushing them off as they're not even important is pretty inconsiderate.

Not everyone is a massively good gamer, but i still think people should work to complete games, since really that's the thrill of completing a game in the first place.

Joltik said:
Champion Christmas said:

Yeah i can agree on this atleast, while i myself don't seem the whole point on games being too easy just for casual gamers, brushing them off as they're not even important is pretty inconsiderate.

Not everyone is a massively good gamer, but i still think people should work to complete games, since really that's the thrill of completing a game in the first place.
You actually have a point and also Kirby and the Wii Series are the games aimed at casual gamers, Mario games are aimed at those in the middle. (You may disagree with me on that but then it's my view.£

NSY said:
Joltik said:
Champion Christmas said:

Yeah i can agree on this atleast, while i myself don't seem the whole point on games being too easy just for casual gamers, brushing them off as they're not even important is pretty inconsiderate.

You actually have a point and also Kirby and the Wii Series are the games aimed at casual gamers, Mario games are aimed at those in the middle. (You may disagree with me on that but then it's my view.£

well if you want to be honest about it, nsmb series is really the only mario series that i'd consider to have a pitiful difficulty.

I always found smw, sm64, and sms to be quite thrilling even with their pitiful boss fights, but many levels made up for it since you really had to pay attention. Otherwise you'd really lose a life.

Joltik said:
NSY said:
Joltik said:
Champion Christmas said:

well if you want to be honest about it, nsmb series is really the only mario series that i'd consider to have a pitiful difficulty.

I always found smw, sm64, and sms to be quite thrilling even with their pitiful boss fights, but many levels made up for it since you really had to pay attention. Otherwise you'd really lose a life.
hmmmm, I have yet to play NSMBU but I did have some levels in NSMBW that I kept dieing on even though I managed to beat the game in two days. Although I do plan getting NSMBU one day I do think it's for nintendo to shake things up before I get an XBox.

I haven't played U yet, but I'll go with NSMBW. I always thought it was a challenging game since I purchased it. =P

I have NSMBW and DKCR, and play more NSMBW that DKCR due to the difficulty. Anyway, I love both games *3*

What about the Nerve-Wrack Pack in NSMB2? Don't tell me it is also very easy ¬¬

Zeedief said:
I haven't played U yet, but I'll go with NSMBW. I always thought it was a challenging game since I purchased it. =P
Well NOW I have! I'd say U is probably the hardest one.

I've played all four, but never owned the first one for the DS. As for the ones I do own, out of all of them, the Wii version was the most difficult, while the Wii U version was the most intense.

There is should be a "none of the above" option on the poll.

None of them were hard, but many of them were more frustrating or more pointless than the other.

NSMB was easy, but people say it was difficult because of the mini mushroom you needed for some star coins. It wasn't difficult, it was just painfully annoying! It's very simple, but very pointless to do all that extra work for something they could do more straightforward.

NSMBW fixed that by making mini-mushroom optional. Not really a requirement. I thought it took more time for NSMBW to be beaten, but I did find the boss battles quicker.

NSMB2 I refuse to get. NSMB2 looks so pointless and just a waste of my time to get. It literally looked like a clone of NSMB with the addition of a challenge of collecting a million coins that is just to waste your time playing it so that Nintendo can say they made a game that makes players spend more than a day or two on lately. If I am only known for a Mario Collection without that game, I will be fine with that title.

NSMBU I gave a chance because there were many mechanics that were added that made it a little more varied, and also because I needed to buy another Wii U game when it came out. I believe it was the longest, but still fun. It was more complex in the fact that there was a lot of secret levels and even then they were up a notch. Plus World 9 was more challenging then the World 9 of NSMBW, but still not that difficult. What I'm glad about this one is that it was more inventive than the other three, and had a connected world that made it smoother to play and more enemies that were great to see revamped in the series. Of course, I wish that it wasn't released so close to another NSMB game, but that's really not my opinion.

But yeah, my poll vote goes to "none of the above".

NSMB was easy, I've beaten it in a few days.
NSMBW was pretty hard, it took me a while to beat, but it was more fun than NSMB.
NSMB2 is really easy (except for DLC 10), the Main Story took me 2 days to beat, including huge breaks in between. The Tanooki Power-Up makes stuff even easier.
NSMBU can be hard at times, I still didn't beat it (maybe due to my Studies?), the Squirrel is the best Power-Up I've ever played with. Only to bad the 'roll attack' isn't like in Super Mario World, I mean, it would be really handy to jump onto a Thwomp, for example, and not take any damage.

Back