Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I'm neutral towards him.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I dislike him.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
In here, I want to have a nice, peaceful discussion about Thomas Edison, and the horrible things he did. I want to raise awareness about the these deeds because most people don't know about them.

So what do you think of Edison?

I think he didn't invent the light bulb.

He found a material that worked well as a filament and then marketed it.

On one hand, Edison is a revolutionary, practically starting up the electricity industry and inventing several of the precursors to modern products.

On the other hand, he had done many cruel things to secure this role, including zapping an elephant with one of his rival's products.

Yeah, I don't like him.

I prefer Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

He pretty much started up the industrial revolution. If it wasn't for him, we might still be in developing times.

Butterscotch Surprise said:
Calling a man a murderer is a very serious charge, Nabber. What's your basis for that?
He paid children to kidnap dogs so that he could electrocute them. If you don't consider killing dogs a murder, then he also used his electric chair to execute people, which was described as "far worse than hanging".

Bane said:
I prefer Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

He pretty much started up the industrial revolution. If it wasn't for him, we might still be in developing times.
I agree, Brunel ftw.

I dunno, I guess I'm neutrel on Edison as he was good and bad.

GreenDisaster said:
On the other hand, he had done many cruel things to secure this role, including zapping an elephant with one of his rival's products.
That elephant had already killed two zoo trainers and everyone wanted it dead as it was a menace.

But it was still an inhumane way of killing it. There are other, less painful ways of execution.

Jack Noir said:
GreenDisaster said:
That elephant had already killed two zoo trainers and everyone wanted it dead as it was a menace.
One of those men was an abusive trainer that, at one point, tried to feed her a lit cigarette. And either way, Edison killed her in a cruel way (electrocution) to "demonstrate how unsafe Tesla's products are".

Nabber said:
But it was still an inhumane way of killing it. There are other, less painful ways of execution.
None which they knew about at the time, I believe.
Nabber said:
(which, for the record, were safer than Edison's own system)
Actually, at certain frequencies AC is actually more dangerous than DC, simply because of the alternating current factor.

There's a certain vein that you can stab that will make the animal die a quick and painless death.

I like him. There are many stuff I can relate to him such as his ADHD-like behavior and that he didn't do so well in school. A book even named ADHD, "The Edison Gene" which serves as much inspiration for me.

My memory's a little fuzzy, but the book I read contained none of that stuff. The absolute worst the book stated was that as a child, Edison let another child drown because he didn't what to do and was curious to see what happened.

That's the thing about history. We don't know if everything is 100% accurate and they're most likely not. There's bound to be a couple of missing or incorrect details and we wouldn't even know it. There could be historic events we don't know about simply because they were never recorded or if the evidence was destroyed.

Don Pianta said:
My memory's a little fuzzy, but the book I read contained none of that stuff. The absolute worst the book stated was that as a child, Edison let another child drown because he didn't what to do and was curious to see what happened.
Oh my god that's terrible.

Sauron said:
Don Pianta said:
Oh my god that's terrible.

Yes it was, but like I said, Edison was a child so he probably didn't know any better. If I remember correctly, he did get punished for that.

Don Pianta said:

He had to discover the scientific method somehow Never knew that about him.

He was kind of a dick but he did some cool stuff. Tesla was cooler though.

Don Pianta said:

SEEMS LEGIT

Back