Mario Party 9: Good or Bad

NSY

Celestial Guide
Mario Party 9 has become a game where half of the fanbase love it and other half hate it.

What's your opinion on this game.

Bad, worst in the entire Party series imo, and with MP8, that is very bad.

Very bad. The new board mechanic sucked, and most of the minigames where just ok at best. Worst Party game by far for me.

Minigames are good, Board gameplay is bad however. Bad enough that it's not really worth keeping. Makes for a decent rental since most of the normal games are playable from the start in Minigame mode though.

The best, I like the new board change (although Bowser and DK boards are too short) and the minigames are very good.

Never played it, but based on what I saw, it's bad simply due to being luck-based like Timmy said. I still find it better than 8 for some reason.

The minigames were kind of OK, though it sucked that everyone got Mini Stars, no matter if they were in last place or won. However, what greatly sucked about it was that you actually could skip your chance at getting Mini Stars if luck wasn't on your side. How? Well, if we take a look at all the previous Mario Party-titles (minus Mario Party Advance, of course), we see that, should an opponent pass the Star Space and not have enough coins to purchase the Power Star, that opponent just couldn't obtain the Star on that turn, still allowing you to get it when it was your turn. And because the boards in Mario Party 9 aren't circular, what said in the last sentence is obviously not applicable on any board you'll ever play in Mario Party 9, thereby increasing the luck-factor by a huge amount. And if we look back to the previous Mario Party-titles again (and of course while continuing to not count Mario Party Advance), we see that, when you move, only you move. In comparison with Mario Party 9's system, we see that that is — yet again — not the case; when someone hits the Dice Block, everyone moves. That means that not only are you locked out on getting Mini Stars, but you are additionally required to witness your opponents gaining them as you sit out on them — everything based on luck, of course.

TL;DR: Minigames were OK, the boards sucked.

Bad. The poorly executed car mechanic and the lack of some beloved characters (TOADETTE) discouraged me to get this game.

Epic.

The new board elements are great and it won't make the game drag on for an hour. The Minigames are also the best since MP3.

DonnyKD said:
Epic.

The new board elements are great and it won't make the game drag on for an hour. The Minigames are also the best since MP3.
If lot's of 1's are rolled, back spaces landed on and lot's of Minigames get played, the game can drag on forever.

Anyway, the board mechanic I think actaully worked and I only thought luck played a big role in Bowser Station. Most of the Minigames (including the bosses), choosing the dice block is down to skill. The Minigames also where MUCH better than Mario Party 8's.

On the bad side was that I thought Garden Battle was a boring bad minigame mode, shop items could of been more expensive and at that could of been 2 VS 2 Minigames.

Sauron said:
Uhhh. What?
Mario Party 9 is good in some things and not others. Nintendo has put everyone to go by car and that I am not convinced, is original in some minigames and I liked what the mini-bosses, but you falt
tema mario bros's post (google) translated
@Tema Mario Bros por favor hable Inglés aquí, aunque no es su primera lengua

Not good, yet not terrible. I'd say it's average.

NSY said:
DonnyKD said:
Epic.

If lot's of 1's are rolled, back spaces landed on and lot's of Minigames get played, the game can drag on forever.

In the rare occurence that happens.

It's average to me. It was better than 8, and the boss minigames had potential. The cars also had potential, but it was executed poorly. I'd also rather have had Kamek as a boss and Toadette as a playable character.

The new board mechanics are a big change. Of course, your lead can easily be taken away in a matter of seconds if any hazards get in your way. In terms of minigames, I really don't like the luck-based ones, such as "10 to Win", "Pier Pressure", and "Bowser Jr. Breakdown".

MnSG said:
The new board mechanics are a big change. Of course, your lead can easily be taken away in a matter of seconds if any hazards get in your way. In terms of minigames, I really don't like the luck-based ones, such as "10 to Win", "Pier Pressure", and "Bowser Jr. Breakdown".
I remember I was playing solo mode on Blooper Beach and it was only me and Kamek and I was winning by over 50 mini stars and near the Kamek on the Bowser space and the roulette landed on Lose half of your Mini Stars and because he was in last instead of losing half of his mini stars he got his mini stars doubled and in the end, he beat me and I was winning easily most of the way though that stage as well. In the end it took me three attempts to beat this stage.

I think it's good but that's all. Good... The graphics are well polished, the NSMBWii references are awesome. I really have fun with the mini-games (although Bowser's Block Battle and the lack of 2vs.2 mini-games were a great disappointment). The boards are nice but the last two are too short. The roster is a joke. :mad:

In the end of the day I want the old gameplay to come back or rather give the option to play the old way. I really miss the solo gameplay, mini-games after every turn and the damn coins!!!

I thought it was fun for the first time playing through. I think that it almost serves as a test, so now they know what they should fix and what should stay the same.

Boards were pretty creative.

NSY said:
I remember I was playing solo mode on Blooper Beach and it was only me and Kamek and I was winning by over 50 mini stars and near the Kamek on the Bowser space and the roulette landed on Lose half of your Mini Stars and because he was in last instead of losing half of his mini stars he got his mini stars doubled and in the end, he beat me and I was winning easily most of the way though that stage as well. In the end it took me three attempts to beat this stage.

This is pretty much why a lot of CPUs that are in last place will try to land on a Bowser Space. However, players in last place can only get their Mini Stars doubled if Bowser does the Lose Half of your Mini Stars event, and even then, the last place player has to be trailing by a hefty amount.

NSY said:
MnSG said:
That kept happening to me on Boo's Horror Castle. It took me forever to finally beat it. Also I like most of the minigames but Twist Ending,Pinata Pool,Bowser Jr Breakdown are just annoying. I love most of the others though. Whomp Stomp is really funny in multiplayer.

Back