The official Team Fortress thread

But fresh lemonade is delicious.

Crocodile Dippy said:
nicknamed my strange jarate 'Fresh Lemonade' and I'm just waiting to be banned on every server for it
that's got to be the perfect name for jarate
Dracomon said:
i'm pretty sure you don't know what jarate is

So I got this game (finally), and it's rapidly rising through my list of favorite games. Not sure where exactly yet, as I'm still getting used to it, but it's got to be at least in my top 10.

Does anyone have any tips for playing Scout or Pyro? Every time I play as them I accomplish nothing except nabbing the intelligence a couple times on CTF. I just can't seem to kill anyone with them, unlike when I play with Soldier or Heavy.

Dr. Javelin said:
Crocodile Dippy said:
nicknamed my strange jarate 'Fresh Lemonade' and I'm just waiting to be banned on every server for it
that's got to be the perfect name for jarate
Dracomon said:
i'm pretty sure you don't know what jarate is
*Googles* It actually does look like lemonade.

Scout requires good reflexes to better react to enemy fire and confuse the shit out of them, very good knowledge of the map to know where to run to when things get a bit hot or where good spots to flank are, good spacial awareness of where everyone is at any given time, and tremendously good aim as you're going to be running around most of the time so you need to know how to strafe into your shots.

A Scout can't handle direct combat too well aside from loner Snipers, Medics, and Spies, so your main purpose is to distract enemies and reinforce damage done by more powerful classes like Heavy, Soldier, or Demoman, as well as going for picks on enemies that have had their health depleted massively and just require one more shot. Scouts are the most useful class for capturing the intelligence on CTF, capturing points on CP, and pushing the cart on PL, and one of the most common strategies on 5CP maps is to have Scouts sneak behind enemy lines to backcap a point quickly while everyone is distracted capturing another point. It takes a lot of practice to get used to Scouts mobility and strong focus on team coordination, but it's worth it when you realise he's one of the most versatile classes in the game.

Pyro is the one that aggravates most of us when we see newbies try it because it's easy to abuse what we call "w+m1" (i.e. spamming the flamethrower without regard for your teammates or your other weapons), and die quickly without offering any support. I strongly believe Pyro is one part offense to two parts support, as it can airblast dangerous foes away from objectives or valued teammates (as well as blowing enemy Medics away from their patients when they've ubercharged), dousing flames on teammates with the airblast, being great for spychecking particularly when paired with an engineer, and having weapon unlocks that allow it to destroy sappers from friendly engineer's buildings.

If you want to be a good Pyro, get used to your secondary and melee weapons, and actually coordinating with your team and reinforcing their charges, since while you have very good firepower and are valued for hitting several enemies at a time for decent damage, you also have good means to keep your team and more reliable offense classes protected from major threats.

Dracomon said:
Actually no, that comic made me more confused.
Jarate is urine in a jar. Jar-based karate.

So basically what you're saying is I should play Pyro kind of like Engineer, working to both defend with sentries/airblast and support with teleporters/extinguishing? I'll have to try that instead of igniting people and then charging with the Axetinguisher.

Although that is really fun when it works. >_>

And yeah, I've been practicing as Scout. I guess I just need to get used to the maps for him to be more useful.
Dracomon said:
Crocodile Dippy said:
Dracomon said:
Is that cannon?
Yes it's canon. Read the comic I showed you.

That is an official comic released by Valve.

Dr. Javelin said:
Dracomon said:
Crocodile Dippy said:
Dracomon said:
Is that cannon?
Yes it's canon. Read the comic I showed you.

That is an official comic released by Valve.
But it never said...*reads again* Oh, it does, but not directly. I'm not good with indirect things.

oh no, the Flamethrower + Axtinguisher combo is very useful and it's good that you're getting used to that. Chaining weapons together is one of Pyros specialties, in fact. As I said, Pyro is still a good offense class, it just has so much more in the way of support going for it than the other power classes that it's a waste to ignore those just to get a few kills followed by your entire push being massacred. Just know when to play offensively, when to play defensively, and when to play a supportive role, and you'll become a highly valued Pyro.

Yeah, it's a lot of work, but it's worth it.

Don't craft for items, craft for metal and then trade for what you want. Also, don't throw away new weapons- craft duplicates into metal.

Direct Hit's pretty fun once you learn how to use it.

If you aren't already premium, go premium by buying yourself two keys.

Sell one of those keys for at least seven ref. You can use that ref to buy pretty much every weapon there is, since one ref = nine scrap and 1 scrap = 1 weapon of your choice.

Other key, use it with trading to get a strange for your favorite class (maybe you could get a S. Rocket Launcher, if you like playing Solly so much...).

Contra(dictory) said:
Don't craft for items, craft for metal and then trade for what you want. Also, don't throw away new weapons- craft duplicates into metal.

Direct Hit's pretty fun once you learn how to use it.

If you aren't already premium, go premium by buying yourself two keys.

Sell one of those keys for at least seven ref. You can use that ref to buy pretty much every weapon there is, since one ref = nine scrap and 1 scrap = 1 weapon of your choice.

Other key, use it with trading to get a strange for your favorite class (maybe you could get a S. Rocket Launcher, if you like playing Solly so much...).

Haven't got premium, nobody trades with me.

I'm sure you can get your hands on five dollars somehow.

That aside, you don't need to know people to trade with. Consult tf2 outpost for trades, and use backpack.tf to make sure people aren't trying to overcharge or scam you for what you want.

Back