Should I download the Homebrew channel?

Fawfulfury65

The Last Story
Retired Wiki Staff
I was thinking about getting the Homebrew Channel on my Wii, but I'm a little hesitant. The only reason I want the channel is to be able to play Pandora's Tower on my American Wii (doesn't seem like it'll be localized at this point). What are the downsides to the Homebrew Channel, and am I able to remove it from my Wii just in case there's a problem? I'm sure some of you have it downloaded, so can I get some information?

Yes, you can always remove it and you need to use LetterBomb to do it, google it also you need to install BootMii too

Yes, you should.

It'd be great.

Note: Installing the Homebrew Channel will void your warrantee (if you still have any).
The Homebrew Channel is pretty save, and so is GeckoOS (to run imported games on your Wii).

What I've done is, I've made my entire Wii Region Free with Priiloader, but there's no way back.
GeckoOS and Homebrew Channel can be removed at any time.

I haven't used Preloader, so I don't know.

It's risky, but it was a long time ago, when I did that.

So I can use GeckoOS to play European/PAL games, right? It doesn't just work for Japanese games?

Also, is it safe to use my 3DS or DSi SD card to get the Homebrew Channel? Because I believe there's something about the 3DS bricking itself if you have pirated stuff on it or something, and I want to make sure using that SD card with them won't cause problems.

I think that's just about all the information I need. I'll use Youtube to help me find out how to get everything set up.

GeckoOS can be used for every Region, even your own one, if you wish.
SD Cards are interswappable between the 3DS and Wii (one of the people at CW-Games even does that).
About the 3DS bricking itself, that rumor was confirmed as false in May 2011, so even more than 1 year ago (it was even thanks to our own publication, that we've contacted Nintendo about this honestly).

I think you need to create all back up copy to your computer, I did that with 3DS SD card and it change to Wii hack SD card and I got 16 GB SD card for my 3DS and best way to hack your Wii is by updating to lastest version in Wii and use LetterBomb method, your Wii need to be least 4.3

MKGirlism said:
GeckoOS can be used for every Region, even your own one, if you wish.
SD Cards are interswappable between the 3DS and Wii (one of the people at CW-Games even does that).
About the 3DS bricking itself, that rumor was confirmed as false in May 2011, so even more than 1 year ago (it was even thanks to our own publication, that we've contacted Nintendo about this honestly).
Oh wow, I never heard about it being a rumor. Alright, that's good.

Ventus said:
I think you need to create all back up copy to your computer, I did that with 3DS SD card and it change to Wii hack SD card and I got 16 GB SD card for my 3DS and best way to hack your Wii is by updating to lastest version in Wii and use LetterBomb method, your Wii need to be least 4.3
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have 4.3.

So I think I'm gonna go and try to get the channel now...

EDIT: Oh, great, the Letterbomb website isn't loading. X_x

Oh, me too and maybe try again tonight and LetterBomb is easiest methoud and don't bother using smash stack because it took me a while for me to do it

No, I suggest SmashStack. It's the easiest one for me to use and one of the exploits Nintendo would have the toughest time patching up. ToxBox just had some trouble with it, that's all. I used that method to install Homebrew TWICE on my Wii.

Well I guess if Letterbomb continues to not work, I'll have to use it anyways.

Letterbomb is now working! I just got the Homebrew Channel. Thanks for the help!

You need it

http://bootmii.org/about/

About Bootmii

BootMii is a set of software that can be installed on Nintendo Wii© consoles to provide added functionality, safety and convenience.

BootMii for Users:

BootMii is a piece of software that can be installed as an IOS or inserted into the boot process. As an IOS, it provides a fast way to back up your Wii's internal NAND flash memory, and will eventually form the basis of a new generation of homebrew applications for the Wii. Inserted into the boot process, BootMii provides you with a "safety net" -- you can back up your entire Wii to SD in under three minutes! If you were to brick your Wii, BootMii would still run and let you restore your backup from SD, quickly and painlessly. BootMii also allows you to directly boot The Homebrew Channel or other homebrew from SD, bypassing the "warning screen" and the rest of the menu.

Coders:

You will have full access to both processors inside the Wii, and can inject code anywhere into the boot process. Want to write your own system menu? Stick it on your SD card and boot it. BootMii is powered by USBGecko -- as with the Homebrew Channel before it, you can upload code and run it via USBGecko. With BootMii, you can upload code to either processor a few seconds after poweron.

Also you need to hack it using letterbomb again to install BootMii

I hit "Launch Bootmii" on the Homebrew Channel and I got a black screen.

...OK, wait. I just got on the BootMii menu. My options are:

Install BootMii as boot2
Install/Uninstall BottMii as IOS
Prepare SD card

I don't understand what the boot2 and IOS stuff means so I don't know what to do. I'm trying to learn all this stuff.

That is not normal, hack again and install BootMii and boot2/BootMii keep your Wii under control and if you do certain stuff without it, your Wii will be bricked, (Cannot be used again/broken)

Not normal? It looks normal to me... It's part of the menu that comes up when you first select the Letterbomb thingy on the Wii Message Board (the menu that also gives you the option to install the Homebrew Channel, which I already did).

Yes, and then the other options come up when I choose the option to install BootMii.

Well, I just installed BootMii as boot2. Everything looks fine.

Back