NSM's Top 40: Best Video Games of All Time (32 and 31 revealed!)

G4 did one a while ago, but I was kinda disappointed with theirs. So, I'll be making a Top 40 list with my opinions. Each couple days or so I'll post the game next in line until I get to the number 1. It will be somewhat bias, but it will be better than G4's. I encourage others to make their own list after mine. AFTER though. I don't want the whole board filled with these threads ;)

First game coming soon, after I get my whole list together.

And, I won't include THAT many sport titles and such, but maybe a few.

Official list (it will be filled in as we go):

#40: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
#39: Mario Party 9 (MP Series)
#38: Sims 3/Sims 3 Pets
#37: Yoshi's Island DS / Super Mario World 2
#36: WarioWare Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
#35: Pac Man
#34: Super Mario Bros. 2
#33: Spyro the Dragon
#32: Kirby's Epic Yarn
#31: Super Mario Galaxy
more later.

The 40 will be revealed today!

Re: My Top 100: Best Video Games of All Times

I've been thinking about making my own list, too. I need to get that together.

Smasher said:
I've been thinking about making my own list, too. I need to get that together.

I'm making my list. I might lower it to 50 because I am having trouble finding some others. We'll see.

Magikrazy said:
E.T. is #1.
Calling it.

Seconded.

Big Rigs is #2

So far, I got 34. I think I'll lower it to 50, maybe 75.

EDIT: Made list. I decided I'll do only 40. Not much of a point in putting in games that I don't LOVE or anything.

Re: My Top 40: Best Video Games of All Times

#40: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

MM_Opening_large.png

Majora's Mask is an overall good Zelda game. This was my last choice because I find it too hard for me, and the time can get annoying. I'm not too far in the game itself because of it..... I also rage quitted a lot on this game. I mainly put this game on too please Majora's Mask fans. I bet I could be better at this game if I tried more and new more about it, but I don't want to play the game ONLY on a walkthrough. I mean, sometimes but not the whole time. It'd be nice to complete this game sometime. Anyway, the game stars Link as always who goes on a quest to defeat Skull Kid and prevent the Moon from crashing into Clock Town. He must find the Four Giants, each in a different area in the game. I haven't even gotten to the first so..... If you enjoy mask transformation and time based games, Majora's Mask is for you. If not, you'll find it challenging.

#39: Mario Party 9

640px-MP9Dolphin.jpg

I wanted to represent the Mario Party series, so I chose Mario Party 9. Mario Party 9 is my favorite Mario Party, but some people don't like it because of the car thing. I personally like the car, and enjoy all of the minigames. So, yeah. I put it here to basically represent the whole series in a whole.

Re: Top 40: Best Video Games of All Times (40 and 39 revealed!)

#40:It's a shame I never got round to completing Majora, I stoped right after the last dungeon. I hope to compete this excellent game within my second playthough. Anyway how far are you into Majora's Mask.
#39:I am towards the like side of Mario Party 9. I thought the new mechcanic was interesting and the Minigames where a 100 times better than those of Mario Party 8.

Majora's Mask is a good game, though I need to play more of it.
MP9 is bad, IMO. Not counting MPA (which I haven't played), it's definitely the worst of the series for me.

Yeah to be honest I don't think Mario Party 9 should be anywhere near the conversation for the 40 best video games of all time. But it's your list. But if you needed a Mario Party in the list. I can name a few that were an overall more enjoyable game. I also know a few friends that would probably call bullshit for it being ranked even one space above Majora's Mask.

Well true, but I only really put it on their to represent all Mario Party games.

Also NSY, I am in the Southern Swamp. Haven't even reached the first dungeon...

#40: I like Majora's Mask (though I think the Zelda series as a whole is very overrated), so I'm fine with it here. If I'd played it, I'd probably put it a bit higher.
#39: Mario Party 9 is, in my opinion, far from the best Mario Party game. My favourite is Mario Party 5, but I haven't played 1, 3, 6, 7 and Advance.

#38: Sims 3: Pets/ Sims 3

images

I find the Sims to be an awesome series. Fun to make yourself and design your house (my sister and I made an exact model). I like that it seems very like real life, and there is a lot of replay value. I decided one of the games deserves a mention.

#37: Yoshi's Island DS and Super Mario World 2

180px-Yisland1.png

I put these games together since they are similar, and I like them both equally. I find it awesome that you get to play as Yoshi and babies like Baby Mario, Peach, and Wario. The levels are simple, fun, and enjoyable. Playing as Yoshi gives you a whole new experience instead of playing as Mario, who can't eat enemies and lay eggs. I have yet to complete both games (about half on DS, and world 3 in SMW2), but I might when I'm on a car ride and bored.

Re: Top 40: Best Video Games of All Time (40, 39, 38, and 37 revealed!)

I'm going to do one of these. There's a lot of games I'd like to play more before ranking them though so it'll be a long while.

Also, the Sims is a pretty good game. SMW2 is too. Haven't played YIDS though.

New Super Mario said:
don't EVER pair the worst game ever with one of the BEST games over

yids was terrible and shouldn't even be compared to SMW2

Also, I would've put one of the first 3, or even the DS one, as the best Party game. MP9 is far from the best, but I guess it's an improvement from MP8.

fassad ilu

fassad, ilu2, yids was awful. smw2 was a masterpiece; it deserved to be way higher, imo

my favourite sims game is the first. i didn't like the third or second much.

eventually ill make a list as well

Smasher said:
I'm going to do one of these. There's a lot of games I'd like to play more before ranking them though so it'll be a long while.
Yeah true. That's kinda why my list is 40. It's a lot harder doing it on your own because you haven't played every single game on the planet.

Fassad said:
New Super Mario said:
don't EVER pair the worst game ever with one of the BEST games over

yids was terrible and shouldn't even be compared to SMW2

Also, I would've put one of the first 3, or even the DS one, as the best Party game. MP9 is far from the best, but I guess it's an improvement from MP8.
I haven't played a 64 one, and DS didn't have very good boards.

And, like I said. I put it there for the whole series. I just put it there because it is MY favorite and it is the newest one.

Also, I knew people would say that about Yoshi's Island DS. I think I'm one of the only people who liked it.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I won't berate you for making this, but I find the biggest problem with personalised "top ___" lists is how limited they tend to be, especially on this forum. All anyone here seems to play are Nintendo games, Sonic, Rayman, and Jak and Daxter, seemingly due to their age or because they have some weird aversion to anything with more violence than kicking people or swinging a blunt sword at things, which is excluding a very, very large part of the industry.

Those who spend a lot of their time playing as many different games in as many different genres from as many different developers and publishers - both triple-A and indie - as possible are more likely to create a varied list, or alternatively they should collaborate with others to ensure they have as much variety as possible.

mind, it's still early in your list, so maybe it'll be surprising; I just had to whinge about my philosophies on these sorts of lists. And I can imagine Packy doing an interesting list, at least.

(besides, everyone knows Shadow of the Colossus is the greatest game ever made)

#38:Never played it, don't plan on getting it
#37:Both games are very good but I was I little bit disappointed when I finally got to try out the original, I found it a bit too easy

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I won't berate you for making this, but I find the biggest problem with personalised "top ___" lists is how limited they tend to be, especially on this forum. All anyone here seems to play are Nintendo games, Sonic, Rayman, and Jak and Daxter, seemingly due to their age or because they have some weird aversion to anything with more violence than kicking people or swinging a blunt sword at things, which is excluding a very, very large part of the industry.
I do have a non-nintendo game in the top 3 so.... I am fine with a violence game also, it's just that most don't appeal to me (Like most First person shoooters).

I'll do the next two today.

the rant wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just have gripes with these sorts of lists when they're done only by one person

Back