Snowstalker Ranks the Top 10 Mario Games

MKDD>MK7>MKW>whatever>MKSC

Not that I've played SMK or MK64.

Interesting debate here. In my opinion, MK7>MKDS>MK64>MKDD>SMK>MKW>MKSC

Also,

#4. Super Mario Bros. (1985, NES)

Bowser333.png

Maybe the most important video game in history, Super Mario Bros. and the NES made Nintendo a household name in America and Europe, and then one of the largest electronics companies in the world. It revolutionized games itself with its simple gameplay yet imaginative setting; find me one platformer without its influence. While Mario was in several older games, this one made him a pop culture icon nearly at the level of Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny, and to this day remains among the best-selling games of all time. So why only fourth? Like Donkey Kong at #10, it hasn't aged quite as well as its successors. Compared to the other big Mario game for the NES, Super Mario Bros. 3, it has slippery controls and poorer graphics (even though both were 8-bit). However, it's undeniably a fun and influential title that millions play to this day.

MK7 > MKW > MKDS > MK64 > MKSC

MKDD > MKW > MK7 > MK64 > MKDS > SMK >>>>>>> MKSC

The only problem with Super Circuit I can think of is that it didn't contribute anything to the series.

And everyone knows that Super Mario Race is the best Mario Kart game.

#3. Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988, Famicom)

KuribosShoe.jpg

If Super Mario Bros. created the series, 3 put the flesh on the bones. Elements like a world map, themed levels, and a ton of new enemies still used today all originated here. Over twice as many levels as Super Mario Bros. and the two SMB2's, it was bigger than ever, and pushed the NES nearly to its limit. Unlike the Lego statue characters in Super Mario Bros., the characters and worlds looked alive and animated. Combined with excellent level design and a collection of new items, it's earned its spot here. But Nintendo seems to like it a bit too much. A new Mario game advertises nostalgia and fanservice? Don't expect Tweeters or Rexes, expect Boom Boom and the Raccoon Suit (and yet they never bring back Kuribo's Shoe). In addition, unlike Super Mario Bros., it didn't have the same influence on other games; all it really did was make a ton of money. However, its main problem isn't the game's fault itself; it's Nintendo's obsession with trying to make every Mario game a copy of it.
Also, The Wizard was terrible.

Of course The Wizard was terrible. It's about wanting to go to California (everybody knows California sucks).

Magikrazy said:
#2 64 and #1 World.

^ that.

I also thought SMB3 was just ok. Pretty overrated IMO.

Byakuya Togami said:
Of course The Wizard was terrible. It's about wanting to go to California (everybody knows California sucks).

hold up a second there cowboy

#2. Super Mario World (1990, Super Famicom)

103698-1309974364.jpg

My personal favorite Mario game, this may have been the culmination of the 2D platformers. Opening Mario into the 16-bit world, it left the Mushroom Kingdom for a new setting with new characters (Yoshi, plus some enemies still common today). But what sets World apart from the NES platformers is its real depth. While prior games had a few secret exits, a good third of SMW levels had multiple exits, and of course there were not one but two secret worlds. Two great new items (Yoshi technically counts as a powerup, right?) and an interconnected world map are just the icing on this dinosaur cake. Although not intentional, one must mention the massive potential for modding.

Get it on VC.

Also, absolutely no reward for guessing #1, because I'm revealing now it's Hotel Mario because it's obvious by process of elimination.

i know what it is

it has to obviously be

the masterpiece known as

mario teaches typing 2

Guys it's obviously Mario Pinball Land.

In all seriousness though, Mario 64 could have been done better, and 3D Land is proof of that.

Back