Snowstalker Ranks the Top 10 Mario Games

#6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995, SNES)

RavenMoon2.gif

No, this does not break the "Mario must be playable" rule; you control him in the Starman rooms, and he's there with Yoshi the entire game. But this game deserves a lot more love. A SMW sequel in name only, it stars Yoshi this time, giving him new abilities and taking place many years before the other games. It's fun, sure, but it's here for two other reasons. First of all, it has arguably the nicest-looking graphics of any SNES game, a bright pastel style which was sadly thrown away in Yoshi's Island DS. It also has a great soundtrack, from the cute and catchy standard level theme to the rock ballad when you fight Baby Bowser. It's also tough as nails, especially by World 6 and the extra levels. The biggest problem with this game, ironically, is the presence of Baby Mario, because of both his ear-bleeding screeches and the need to run after him every 10 seconds. Overall, however, it's fun, hard, and looks and sounds great.

Yeah, probably. :P

I did mention it in passing, though it's possibly the best boss fight in a Mario game. It's lame that NSMBW and now NSMB2 just have you run from a giant Bowser.

#5. Super Mario Galaxy (2007, Wii)

640px-SMG_Manta.jpg

The Wii was Nintendo's big comeback, and the big Mario title, released a year after the console, was Super Mario Galaxy. It was simply stunning; a beautiful graphical style that amazed you even when you were just collecting Star Bits in Toad Town. Then came the music; first a great remix of Super Mario Bros. 3's airship theme, then...nearly all the other music in the game, from the Comet Observatory's calm waltz to the epic battle music in the clashes with Bowser. The orchestra music set a new standard for Mario soundtracks which has failed to be matched. The gameplay is also solid, of course, and varied, with creative levels and plenty of secrets. It's no stretch to call Super Mario Galaxy the best Mario game of the 21st century, which I'm doing right now.

^That picture represents the only thing I missed from Galaxy while playing Galaxy 2.

I assume that most of you can guess the top 4 at this point. :P

Galaxy 2 looked better for sure, but I preferred the music, boss fights, and hub world from Galaxy.

Byakuya Togami said:
^That picture represents the only thing I missed from Galaxy while playing Galaxy 2.
What about levels that at least had some non-linearity?

So, all the other games are from before 2000.

I don't really think that Galaxy was overrated. I couldn't really find many flaws in it.

Gummy said:
I assume that most of you can guess the top 4 at this point. :P

SMB, SMB3, SMW, SM64.

I meant SMB3, actually. That was a typo.

Paper Jorge said:
SMB2? oh please make that SMB3

mario kart 64, no, anyone???

I don't think Mario Kart 64 is going to be on this list since Mario Kart 7 is on it and Snowstalker said it's not too early to say it's the best Mario Kart game.

Paper Jorge said:

Mario Kart 64 sucks anyway. Well most of it is good but the 1/10 AI just ruins it completely, I have never played a game with such bad AI.

NSY said:
Paper Jorge said:

Mario Kart 64 sucks anyway. Well most of it is good but the 1/10 AI just ruins it completely, I have never played a game with such bad AI.

I kinda think Mario Kart Wii's AI was worse. What with the cheap Blue Shells and whatever else they throw at you especially on Lap 3 (Blue Shell just as we're on the bouncing mushrooms in Mushroom Gorge anyone?). On 150cc you're lucky to come up in the Top 3 if the CPU wants to troll the hell out of you

Northern Verve said:
NSY said:
Paper Jorge said:

I kinda think Mario Kart Wii's AI was worse. What with the cheap Blue Shells and whatever else they throw at you especially on Lap 3 (Blue Shell just as we're on the bouncing mushrooms in Mushroom Gorge anyone?). On 150cc you're lucky to come up in the Top 3 if the CPU wants to troll the hell out of you
Mario Kart Wii just does not have enough skills in it putting a bit of luck into it. Yes they may troll the hell out of you but they don't play unfairly like they do in Mario Kart 64.

MKDS > MK7 > MKWii > SMK (yes I liked it) > MKDD >>>>>>>>>>>>>> MK64 > MKSC

Well ok, I found MK64's fine though. Heck when I got Mario Kart 64 for the Virtual Console, it only took at only about 3 or less tries to finish 150cc on all the cups. And I don't know how I did it, but I managed to finish Special Cup 150cc with a perfect score. 1st place on all 4 of the tracks.

This list is good so far. smb3 better be number 1

also
MKDD > MKW >>>> SMK > MKSC > everything else EDIT: aa forgot MK7

Back