The London 2012 Olympics

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
Starts next week! I'm hoping the opening ceremony will be as good as China's.

I'll be missing the first week but I'm excited.

The one thing I can't stand about the Olympics is their sponsorship douchebaggery. You can't use the word Olympics or use the Olympic rings as a logo. They also cover up any non Olympic sponsor at any venue they're using, even on toilet paper dispensers in the bathroom.

I cannot wait. I was at one point going to try to get tickets, never did though. Hey, I got to see the olympic torch pass through our town though.

Majin Buu said:
I thought it already started
Nope, in a week.
timaeusTestified said:
I cannot wait. I was at one point going to try to get tickets, never did though. Hey, I got to see the olympic torch pass through our town though.
You are so lucky.

Nabber said:
Majin Buu said:
I thought it already started
Nope, in a week.
timaeusTestified said:
You are so lucky.
Yep, I was about 20 meteres away from where it was being passed on. I got to serve lunch to VIP's too. The perks of being a Sea Cadet.

I'll likely be watching whenever I can.

Hey! It's England and as nothing ever good happens here they are trying to get it through the whole country.

Well I've decided to bump this up to the top of the page instead of the bottom of the first page so ToxBox can see.

So apparently the Opening Ceremony will include
A bunch of Mary Poppins fighting a 40-foot Voldemort
and while I may have some of the details wrong, I can't tell whether this is awesome or incredibly stupid.

USA USA USA!!! For every gold medal I pledge one piece of fan art

Nabber said:
Any good ceremony based off English culture and history should at least celebrate Robin Hood and King Arthur and the unification of all those separate tribes post-Roman Empire into one coherent nation and stuff like that, you know. Mind, I'm not bothered that they're having Harry Potter or Mary Poppins stuff in it, just seems a bit narrow of a focus for a nation over a thousand years old, is all.

I haven't watched the Opening Ceremony, I'll try to watch it when they replay it at 2PM.

So I saw the end of the cycling match this morning.

I can't believe that they were biking for four and a half hours straight

Go Australia?

Well, we got a medal in swimming already. I think that's what Australia is good at - Swimming and Cycling. And hockey, I think.

Monobear said:
Nabber said:
Any good ceremony based off English culture and history should at least celebrate Robin Hood and King Arthur and the unification of all those separate tribes post-Roman Empire into one coherent nation and stuff like that, you know. Mind, I'm not bothered that they're having Harry Potter or Mary Poppins stuff in it, just seems a bit narrow of a focus for a nation over a thousand years old, is all.
Not to mention Tolkien; my theory is that either a. they'd get accused of advertising for new line cinema or b. they were afraid that their industrial revolution thing looked too similar to The Scouring of the Shire. Which it did, if you think about it. Saruman in a top hat.

The best part was without a doubt Mr. Bean, the rest is debatable. And the internet thing was way too long.

Back