Why do you think some people hate Nintendo?

So, why do you think? There are a lot of xbox people who just play that and then suddenly hate Nintendo.

My brother plays COD all the time and now says he hates Nintendo, even though he doesn't give a reason. But then he is in the other room playing Mario Kart 7, claiming "it's different". I can't even go down there to play Skyward Sword, Paper Mario, or whatever without him making a comment, still without reasons.

So, what do you think? I never got why people hate Nintendo, I respect all companies.

Because Nintendo is too child-friendly?

Nintendo got a 'friendly' reputation since the Gamecube, that's why.

One word: Fanboyism

personally its because I dont like all these nintendo gimmicks. i havent gotten to experience much of the 3DS but the effects of it just dont appeal to me and the game line up for it is terrible, or at least was for quite a while after its launch. the wii u is like the weirdest idea ever, but I cant judge it yet. the wii had motion controls which would work in some games, but you cant give every single game a wii remote, it just doesnt work, and it would lead to horrible ports of other games

another thing is that nintendo lives in the past. theyre just now adding 1080p support on their console, and their online play system is still horrid (friend codes as opposed to easier to remember 'gamertags')

and thats why the gamecube and nintendo 64 were great. good games on a simple, fun controller, before online play was "in" and nintendo was at the top of their game. now not so much

that said... in your brother's mind...it's probably the childish part

Yeah Jorge sums it up. Also, the Nintendo systems don't really have a lot of power and aren't in HD so.

Actually, the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2.

Because it's opposite of CoD. NSM does your brother now hate the name BaseballYoshi24.

New Super Mario said:
So, why do you think? There are a lot of xbox people who just play that and then suddenly hate Nintendo.

My brother plays COD all the time and now says he hates Nintendo, even though he doesn't give a reason. But then he is in the other room playing Mario Kart 7, claiming "it's different". I can't even go down there to play Skyward Sword, Paper Mario, or whatever without him making a comment, still without reasons.
BaseballYoshi?

Oh, so that's why we haven't seen him in a while.

Toad85 said:
New Super Mario said:

BaseballYoshi?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't like that name anymore.

MKGirlism said:
Nintendo got a 'friendly' reputation since the Gamecube, that's why.
No they got it because of the strict censorship the put on third party games during the pre rating system.
And there are quite a few valid reasons to dislike Nintendo
1. There systems ever since the Gamecube have been underpowered which is fucking annoying when they release there system after everybody else does.
2. Like Jorge says they rely on Gimmicks such as motion control which is cool but keep it the fuck out of normal games like Zelda or at least make it optional
3. There games are easy (except for the final fucking worlds which become very hard) because they throw all of the real difficulty into bonus worlds
4. Fucking Bonus worlds that don't do anything when you beat them
5. Pulling bull shit moves like the Wii U which is barley more powerful then the Xbox360 and then market the system as if it's for hardcore games.
Reusing the same game play over and over again with Mario games (yes things like Call of Duty do this as well but that's different you get those because of the online play)
6. Dreadful misuse of their popular franchises I mean seriously one fucking Animal Crossing game for the Wii (that wasn't even that good), no Pikmin games, 2 Metroid games (one of which was apparently terrible), 2 Legend of Zelda games with only one being exclusive and the other one recurring motion control, A shit ton of Mario spin offs ranging from great to terrible.
7. Being horribly prepared for the Launch of the 3ds I mean come on fucking Pilotwings and Steel Diver nobody cares about those games.
8. Very shallow online play which is both good and bad because it makes it less personal and it stops people from making fun of you for losing.
9. Bad treatment of 3rd parties from making them only be allowed to release games on their systems, making the N64 intentionally hard to work with as a way to drive away bad 3rd parties, to making underpowered systems which makes it harder for third parties to sell their games on Nintendo systems.

NSY said:
Toad85 said:
New Super Mario said:

BaseballYoshi?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't like that name anymore.
I don't really know, he just doesn't really care about this place anymore. I told him about the MK7 tournament and he didn't care at all.

He checks in some time but like never posts so....

NSY said:
Is he playing COD right now.
He just did.

He plays like 8 hours a day and it drives me insane.

Am I the only one who never got the point of the whole "talking while playing your game" thing on games like Call of Duty?

How much time do you get then NSM?

Plunderbird, you've forgot a very important one: No Star Fox on the Wii.
Not even a new story since 2005 (I don't count Star Fox Command, I'd rather see that as a failed example of having lots of endings, making you go nowhere).

MKGirlism said:
Plunderbird, you've forgot a very important one: No Star Fox on the Wii.
Not even a new story since 2005 (I don't count Star Fox Command, I'd rather see that as a failed example of having lots of endings, making you go nowhere).
I always forget Star Fox because it isn't that good/popular

Actually, I think Star Fox is pretty good, just underrated.

It's simple because most Nintendo games aren't violent enough enough for people who like shooting games. Though Metroid is a great shooter. I played the one with the spider area at my friends house in multiplayer.

I thought it was because Nintendo has been recently trying to grab attention of "casual" gamers instead of "hardcore" gamers.

Paper Jorge said:
personally its because I dont like all these nintendo gimmicks. i havent gotten to experience much of the 3DS but the effects of it just dont appeal to me and the game line up for it is terrible, or at least was for quite a while after its launch. the wii u is like the weirdest idea ever, but I cant judge it yet. the wii had motion controls which would work in some games, but you cant give every single game a wii remote, it just doesnt work, and it would lead to horrible ports of other games

another thing is that nintendo lives in the past. theyre just now adding 1080p support on their console, and their online play system is still horrid (friend codes as opposed to easier to remember 'gamertags')

and thats why the gamecube and nintendo 64 were great. good games on a simple, fun controller, before online play was "in" and nintendo was at the top of their game. now not so much

that said... in your brother's mind...it's probably the childish part
Jorge, this is the smartest post I've seen you make in a long time. It basically sums up my opinion of Nintendo.

To all the people in this thread crying "FANBOY!" or "DEY DUN LIEK NO VIOLENCE WAAAAAH", look in a mirror. You're just as irritatingly fanboyish, and the way you behave implies you don't care about games that are violent. There are plenty of shallow minded gamers that mindlessly consume violent games without a second thought just as there are people that mindlessly consume non-violent games without a second thought, but just because there are many of us who detest what Nintendo has become, doesn't mean we're against child-friendly games. Psychonauts, Okami, and Beyond Good & Evil are among my favourite games ever made, and they're certainly not violent, gorey, or anything of the sort; the sort of thing a child could play and enjoy.

Speaking as someone with fond memories of the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube, I can certainly say Nintendo have done everything in their power to alienate a broader devoted gamer appeal. Terrible third-party support, over-reliance on gimmicks rather than functional gameplay, oversaturation of existing properties (especially Mario), archaic approaches to gameplay design still sold for full retail price (particularly frustrating over here where games are $100), hilariously flimsy attempts to update with the modern world, aggravating online play; the list could go on.

It's not like the reasonable critics of Nintendo want to hate them. I would very much like if all publishers and developers actually gave a shit, but that's not the world we live in; simply ignoring the design flaws and poor business practices of any company - whether it be Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, THQ, EA, or what have you - just because you want to feel "special" with the company choice you made, is just dumb and fanboyish.

I mean wow, even I harshly berate Valve for being procrastinating assholes that rely too much on item gimmicks in Team Fortress 2 for a quick income.

^Expected^

But he's right you know. The Mario games look terribly bland these days. Or sound like they're gonna suck. The New Super Mario Bros. games look like a milking ploy (it probably is). Mario Kart 7 felt empty.

Pokemon is also another example of milking a series dry. I played only two generations before I got bored of it because it felt like I was doing the same damn thing over and over.

Oh yeah, and their online is still in the Stone Ages.

Some times, I don't blame people for hating Nintendo, as long as they give a good reason why to hate it.

Plunderbird said:
10. No new F-Zero games in, like, 8 fucking years what is wrong with this company. Now, I don't ask for a whole lot from this company but this is getting a tad ridiculous.

11. They've been handling franchise anniversaries pretty badly. Unless you're a Zelda fan, that is. I mean, a re-release of All-Stars with an artbook and a CD where half of the track listing is just sound effects for Mario? Lame. And don't get me started on Metroid. They're doing alright with Kirby's, though.

Back