What do You Think would Happen if Disney Bought Nintendo?

So, should Disney buy Nintendo?

• Yes because Pixar and Marvel are fine and/or Nintendo is in bad shape.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No because they would make everything too kid-friendly, and I would want to stage a coup d'etat.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • I don't think there's any way of knowing for now.

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
Jack Noir said:
But I'm trying to avoid killing the kids!
When it's closed and then people will boycott Disney

Makoto Naegi said:
But it's not because Pixar and Marvel are fine. It's because Nintendo is unbearably awful.

I suppose so. Nintendo is in pretty bad shape since it doesn't make games for iThings, which have become all the rage (How much money has Rovio made off of Angry Birds anyway? It must be practically a billion-dollar franchise now).

Wait a minute, why is Nintendo disappointing you? What do you have against it?

All the games they've released in years have been derivative soulless garbage.

Makoto Naegi said:
All the games they've released in years have been derivative soulless garbage.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to report you to a moderator. You're clearly a troll who doesn't belong here.

Super Buu said:
He's not a troll. He's merely stating his opinion.

Which everyone here would disagree with because you can't be on a Mario-themed site and hate what Nintendo does unless you've got an evil purpose brewing in your head.

It's trolling if he's doing it to deliberately antagonize somebody. He's not, so it's not trolling.

No I can definitely be on a Mario site and hate Nintendo without "an evil purpose brewing in my head".

I hate Nintendo because they ruined Mario, which I am a big fan of. Isn't that obvious?

ColonelKR said:
Super Buu said:
He's not a troll. He's merely stating his opinion.

Which everyone here would disagree with because you can't be on a Mario-themed site and hate what Nintendo does unless you've got an evil purpose brewing in your head.
I'm sorry, but speaking as a mod, that's rubbish. We don't classify people as trolls because they happen to dislike Nintendo. There are plenty of people here who are indifferent toward/negative about Nintendo. Heck, I myself am not looking forward to NSMB2/NSMBU due to dislike over them!

Also it's kind of hard for a "troll who doesn't belong here" to get a special rank, wouldn't you say?

Makoto Naegi said:
No I can definitely be on a Mario site and hate Nintendo without "an evil purpose brewing in my head".

I hate Nintendo because they ruined Mario, which I am a big fan of. Isn't that obvious?

How do you think they've ruined the SMB franchise? And how do you think Disney could save the franchise from ruin?

Well,

When I was a child, I loved the Mario series because it had this huge amazing world for me to explore, and every time I looked somewhere new I would find something exciting and creative. And every time a new game came out the world got bigger, and it was packed with more new things to discover, and even though the setting was bizarre and whimsical it all felt internally consistent, like it had its own inner logic that was no less valid than that of our world despite how different it was.

The new games aren't like that at all. There's little to explore, and most of it feels basically identical to what came before. And where they try something new, it is usually either a tiny, meaningless innovation (don't tell me you think a flying squirrel is different from a flying raccoon, because it's not.), or it doesn't fit thematically at all (more coins are not what Mario is about). So I've basically moved on to other things that still offer the feeling of discovery I felt as a child, but I'm still bitter about it because I love the Mushroom Kingdom, damn it.

The reason I'm amicable to the idea of Disney buying them is simple. When you're doing something that doesn't work, you try something else. For my purposes, what Nintendo's doing isn't working at all, so I want them to try something else. I think Disney would cause them to.

Makoto Naegi said:
Well,

When I was a child, I loved the Mario series because it had this huge amazing world for me to explore, and every time I looked somewhere new I would find something exciting and creative. And every time a new game came out the world got bigger, and it was packed with more new things to discover, and even though the setting was bizarre and whimsical it all felt internally consistent, like it had its own inner logic that was no less valid than that of our world despite how different it was.

The new games aren't like that at all. There's little to explore, and most of it feels basically identical to what came before. And where they try something new, it is usually either a tiny, meaningless innovation (don't tell me you think a flying squirrel is different from a flying raccoon, because it's not.), or it doesn't fit thematically at all (more coins are not what Mario is about). So I've basically moved on to other things that still offer the feeling of discovery I felt as a child, but I'm still bitter about it because I love the Mushroom Kingdom, damn it.

The reason I'm amicable to the idea of Disney buying them is simple. When you're doing something that doesn't work, you try something else. For my purposes, what Nintendo's doing isn't working at all, so I want them to try something else. I think Disney would cause them to.

I see your reasoning. Super Mario Galaxy was probably the last time Nintendo did something innovative with the franchise. They took the routine plumber-rescuing-princess story we know and love and gave it the essence of a classic sci-fi movie. Since then, everything seems to be a sequel to what's already been established with little time spent on innovations. Nintendo is killing itself over churning out games to compete with the iGame rage when it could instead take the time to settle down, take a deep breath, and try something new. There's a chance Miyamoto's head is bursting with new ideas, so it might not be his fault that the company is killing itself; it's the executives' fault for failing to meet the demand of something new and giving us a bunch of homogenous sequels.

Does Miyamoto even work on Mario anymore? I was under the impression that he had mostly passed that role on to Yoshiaki Koizumi. Regardless, I won't speculate on who's "to blame", because I'm certainly in no position to know.

And I agree that the last game in which (I felt) they were really trying to innovate was SMG. That wasn't my favourite game in the series, but I felt that what flaws it had were in spite of the level of effort they put into it, not because of it.

Disney is way too big as it is. Disney, Pepsico, and Coca-Cola alone probably own a majority of brands in America. :P

Makoto Naegi said:
Does Miyamoto even work on Mario anymore? I was under the impression that he had mostly passed that role on to Yoshiaki Koizumi.

From what I know, Miyamoto does still work on the Mario series, but he's moved from developing to publishing.

Toad85 said:
Makoto Naegi said:
Does Miyamoto even work on Mario anymore? I was under the impression that he had mostly passed that role on to Yoshiaki Koizumi.

From what I know, Miyamoto does still work on the Mario series, but he's moved from developing to publishing.

So he's basically gone on to being a game producer rather than being a game designer or director. That's interesting because he did once say that he doesn't see himself as anybody's boss (or even his own boss for that matter).

yes, i was being serious

i felt incredibly silly pouring my legit feelings out like that, though :|

also i am 22, and i got his password from a random password generator he wrote, but i don't know it because it's too goddamn long and weird. it looks something like "98SCM#*(xms)DDspI#d";[3[(#o;dIKJ". i let firefox handle authentication

Toad85 said:
Makoto Naegi said:

This is depressing

Majin Buu said:
Toad85 said:
Makoto Naegi said:

This is depressing

Yeah, he should definitely go back to designing.

ColonelKR said:
I'm sorry, but I'm going to report you to a moderator. You're clearly a troll who doesn't belong here.

Lol really?

If he was a troll, he wouldn't become a chatbox admin.

IceShadow1195 said:
ColonelKR said:

Lol really?

If he was a troll, he wouldn't become a chatbox admin.

That conflict was resolved a long time ago.

supermariofan said:
I'm not making it "Too kid friendly"

Again, we're not talking about your movie. This thread is a whole different kettle of fish, and as I've repeatedly warned you, Disney will probably not buy your screenplay after its trouble with the first one.

For the record, this thread has nothing specifically to do with you, and if you think it does, that shows how self-centered you really are. You can either stay on topic or take your business elsewhere. Do you understand?

I think he's trying to say that Disney would make Mario look even more child-friendly than it already is.

Back