How do you determine a potential newcomer's "worthiness"?

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
Because I think it would be interesting to hear everyone's reasoning as to why they think so and so should be in Smash 4. Do you take the character's history and/or relevance in his or her particular franchise into consideration? How about moveset potential? What about overall popularity or obscurity? Other stuff?

I suck at starting threads, but I think you get what I'm trying to get at here. Discuss.

If they're popular/interesting enough and have a good enough moveset, that's fine by me. I think importance in their series doesn't matter at all.

Yasuhiro Hagakure said:
If they're popular/interesting enough and have a good enough moveset, that's fine by me. I think importance in their series doesn't matter at all.
I don't think so, it's cause more problem when minor characters can join but major ones can't. Unless some major characters are defined as non-violent and NPCs like Toad.

Yasuhiro Hagakure said:

I HIGHLY disagree with that. Because for the most part the most important characters are also the most popular. Going by this, a character from the same series that isn't the main character could have higher priority over said main character. Extreme stuff like this would be like replacing Sonic with Shadow for the one Sonic spot. It just wouldn't be right at all.

^While I agree with you, North, I don't think Shadow is the best example since he is a major character that is wanted by fans as well (Even though it think Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles should be first, and even then I only want one third-party character from each franchise)

I think a better character to compare would be Waluigi or Birdo with the Mario series. Despite being fan-favorite characters, (Well, I don't know much about Birdo on that subject) they have only appeared in spin-offs and have had minuscule roles. Not to mention that Nintendo itself sem so ignore all of the fan-feedback for wanting see more major-appearances from them.

Now, the solution to this problem would be someone like Toad. His race is arguable the most common Mario species, he has had major roles in main games, and he's a fan-favorite. Having a character like Waluigi taking away someone who has had a rich history of success and is also a fan-favorite to boot would feel very unworthy and cheap. An even better example than Waluigi would be Geno, but I'm not even going to go there.

I'd say they have to be important, with a good potential for a moveset. All these people wanting Geno.... Seriously, he is not even important.

They need to have great significance in their series and a potential moveset.
Popularity isn't as important as those 2 factors.

Northern Verve said:
Yasuhiro Hagakure said:

I HIGHLY disagree with that. Because for the most part the most important characters are also the most popular. Going by this, a character from the same series that isn't the main character could have higher priority over said main character. Extreme stuff like this would be like replacing Sonic with Shadow for the one Sonic spot. It just wouldn't be right at all.

Yes, exactly, they are for the most part, so most major characters are going to get in. I'm not talking about denying major characters a spot, I'm talking about having minor characters with an established moveset as well. Replacing Sonic with Shadow would be highly out of the question anyway, whatever is most important to you.

If you can think of a good moveset for Toad (and another move for Peach), then go ahead. Characters don't just need the popularity, they should also have a good moveset (which, if the assist trophy, the special moves he's had in sports games etc. are anything to go by, Waluigi could have).

What determines their worthiness is overall popularity and some importance in the series. I don't really care about moveset potential, provided that they can basically turn anything into a fighter

1. Don't have too many characters in the same series.
2. The character must have at least 1 or 2 games on a Nintendo console or handheld.
3. No characters that weren't originally video game characters. (i.e. Sam & Max, the Simpsons, Escargoon, Mickey Mouse, etc.)

In my opinion, a Nintendo character that everyone knows and loves, given a moveset can be thought up for it.

And on occasions, a third-party (2 or 3) can be put in if there's a huge demand for it.

Back