No New Characters? Sakurai wants to make the game "balanced"

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480940

When Nintendo Power asked about the difficulties in making a new Smash Bros. considering the amount of content included in previous games, Sakurai said:

“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”
I heard someone say that Sakurai actually will not add any characters. This quote... doesn't exactly SAY that, but it almost seems to imply it.

Lame. :mad:

If there AREN'T any new characters, I won't buy the game. I'll just stick with Brawl, thank you very much. I don't care about balance, since I don't even play competitively anyway.

Also, an awesome whiteboard drawing that confirms nothing:

raLu9.jpg

I don't think you need to worry about it having no new characters. It would be unthinkable for Sakurai to make a game but make no new additions other then Brawl's roster. Because even if it's a fully improved game. Simply because of the roster everyone would basically cite SSB4 as being just Brawl for the Wii U no matter how different everything else might be.

But he is right about the whole keeping things in balanced with so many characters. Look at the DBZ Tenkaichi games where literally hundreds of different characters are playable. Some are obviously more stronger then others and most are clones in some sort of fashion. They just need to figure out how to make a decent balance while still having over 40 different characters to play as.

Pfft, not adding any characters for the sake of balance? Maybe they should hire people to play their game extensively and the people would give their opinions on it.

I mean, it's clear they haven't really tested Meta Knight and his uberness.

I've actually had this issue for a couple of months and while it did bother me at first, I began to realize that no man in the world can possibly be this ignorant. I think he just means that he wants to focus more on characters balancing and stuff, rather than just slapping on a new installment with little changes and more characters. He probably just worded it almost completely wrong.

hoping this is some sort of mistranslation

that or at least they're getting rid of clones? keeping it at 35 characters, but also replacing other unneeded ones with other people deserving of a spot.

Northern Verve said:
I don't think you need to worry about it having no new characters. It would be unthinkable for Sakurai to make a game but make no new additions other then Brawl's roster. Because even if it's a fully improved game. Simply because of the roster everyone would basically cite SSB4 as being just Brawl for the Wii U no matter how different everything else might be.

But he is right about the whole keeping things in balanced with so many characters. Look at the DBZ Tenkaichi games where literally hundreds of different characters are playable. Some are obviously more stronger then others and most are clones in some sort of fashion. They just need to figure out how to make a decent balance while still having over 40 different characters to play as.
When you mentioned DBZ tenkaichi games, it had me thinking. Why not have giant characters in the game? Like what they do with Great Apes. That way, they could add Ridley.

That's a lot of giant characters vying to be in. Besides would they really be able to cram in Ridley on the 3DS screen?

I'm pretty sure he's saying he just wants to keep the number. He'll still change some others and bring in new characters we want probably. I seriously doubt it for the Wii U version.

man, in me, turb, and blocky's fighting game circle, five new characters each new game is enough provided all the other stuff is intriguing and has improved balanced (P.S. Cirno still sucks). It's far better to have balance than an overabundance of characters, otherwise it's just a badly functioning nostalgia fantasy.

I think people are jumping to conclusions too quickly. It's not that Sakurai won't add any more characters (because that is serious buzzkill). I think the addition would be less than in Brawl or in Melee.

Anser said:
FUCK YOU SAKURAI, give us more characters and stfu!!
Whoa there, cowpoke.

Like SMtheH said:

Count Mario said:
I think he just means that he wants to focus more on characters balancing and stuff, rather than just slapping on a new installment with little changes and more characters. He probably just worded it almost completely wrong.

This wouldn't be the first time fans thought something Sakurai said meant something regarding the roster.

Does anyone remember Ness and the words "Up until now" before Brawl was released?

Northern Verve said:
This wouldn't be the first time fans thought something Sakurai said meant something regarding the roster.

Does anyone remember Ness and the words "Up until now" before Brawl was released?

Yes. I always thought Ness was in right when he said that, actually.

New Super Mario said:
This IS the guy who said there would be no Kid Icarus sequel to Uprising, right?

Seriously guys, I doubt that, so I doubt this too.

Well, he's the guy who hates sequelizations AND he said no sequel to Super Smash Bros. as well.

And the first games his company makes? Super Smash Bros. Brawl. And he is making a sequel which is why we have topics like this.

That guy loves to change his mind.

I guess not. If that means they don't want to pay more time, for some excessive Mario characters and new Pokemon, Zelda games, actually they can "replace" some of the old ones if they still have to redesign the models.

Northern Verve said:

Yeah, either Masahiro Sakurai uses a lot of poorly worded phrases, or his translators do. :-\

It would be ludicrous to make a new entry in a successful fighting series and not include any new characters.

Back