SM64 Versus Super Mario 64 Nintendo DS?

Which do you perfer?

  • SM64

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • SM64DS

    Votes: 10 52.6%

  • Total voters
    19

Post-Damage Invincibility

LET ME COME BACK TO THE 'SHROOM!
Banned User
Putting nostalgia aside, Super Mario 64 DS is superior. Superior graphics, not only does it have all the stars and levels from the original but 30 more! And you can play as new characters. Luigi is actually in it this time. L is real (for real)!
 
DS. It has more to do. The d-pad didn't really annoy me much. I think it actually helped for those jumps where I would normally fall of the side for.
 

Awesome Koopa

Here's some text that's very personal.
DS. It has minigames, 30 new stars, a multiplayer mode, 3 new characters, and the ability to take it anywhere with you.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Super Mario 64 DS

The D pad thing could easily be fixed using a 3DS. And this game is the same except for more new levels and more characters to play as. IMO, you would only hate it because you are wearing nostalgia goggles or the controls (which for some reason never bothered me).
 

Post-Damage Invincibility

LET ME COME BACK TO THE 'SHROOM!
Banned User
Gummy said:
Not a fan of using the D-Pad for 3-D games, so the original.
If it had been originally re-leased as a 3DS title, in which you can use the thumbstick, would you still perfer the original? Putting all nostalgia aside, when played on the 3DS, I don't know HOW one could possibly perfer the original.
 

Z-omb

Spiny
Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Gummy said:
Not a fan of using the D-Pad for 3-D games, so the original.
If it had been originally re-leased as a 3DS title, in which you can use the thumbstick, would you still perfer the original? Putting all nostalgia aside, when played on the 3DS, I don't know HOW one could possibly perfer the original.
Yeah I would have enjoyed it more with the thumbstick but if I had to chose between on or the other the original would still be better due to it being the first game I'd ever played and 100% beaten. However if I ignored nostalgia and it had the thumbstick I would chose the remake.
 

Post-Damage Invincibility

LET ME COME BACK TO THE 'SHROOM!
Banned User
Z-omb said:
Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Gummy said:
Not a fan of using the D-Pad for 3-D games, so the original.
If it had been originally re-leased as a 3DS title, in which you can use the thumbstick, would you still perfer the original? Putting all nostalgia aside, when played on the 3DS, I don't know HOW one could possibly perfer the original.
Yeah I would have enjoyed it more with the thumbstick but if I had to chose between on or the other the original would still be better due to it being the first game I'd ever played and 100% beaten. However if I ignored nostalgia and it had the thumbstick I would chose the remake.
These days, it DOES have the thumbstick. We all have 3DSes.
 

IceShadow1199

NOPE, THE PARASOL ISN'T A KIRBY IDEA I SWEAR
Banned User
The original. The DS' gameplay is way too hard for me, also they removed the glitches that were important, especially The Backwards Long Jump glitch.
 

Smasher

Smasher
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
DS, though I still love to play the original sometimes.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Snifit said:
The original. The DS' gameplay is way too hard for me, also they removed the glitches that were important, especially The Backwards Long Jump glitch.
Important? That was a gamebreaking glitch. You should be glad Nintendo fixes glitches. Hey, why not leave out a glitch for clipping?
 

RandomYoshi

Sweden? More like Memeden.
Chat Operator
Retired Wiki Staff
Well, let me begin to say what actually exists in both games first and then say stuff about each thing individually. Super Mario 64 has what I think that we've all seen before: the classical fifteen courses, the only playable character being Mario, the always lovable glitch that we all know as Backwards Long Jumping — or BLJ in short, and a game engine that I know too well. While on the other hand, Super Mario 64 DS has four playable characters, more rabbits to catch than Super Mario 64, more areas, more stars, different ways of controlling, and a different game engine.

And now I will begin by assessing each thing in as much detail as I can, beginning with;

The Levels
So, what about the levels? What can I say about them? Well, for one, I can say that the difference between levels usually isn't that noticeable, but then there are levels where the difficulty has severely decreased from the original, where the main example is Tick Tock Clock, where the ground beneath the level is larger than it is in the original. And from what I can remember, those are the only changes that they did, so therefore I have no complaints about the original levels and any changes applied to them besides Tick Tock Clock because that change makes the level easier.

But what about the levels that were added in to Super Mario 64 DS then? Well, they're fine. Some are really generic though, but that is to be expected. And I also enjoy the boss-levels and the bosses you fight when you've reached the end of them.

The Controls
Since there is no reason to say anything about the original here, I will just say how I cope with the controls in the remake. Since I use the touch screen controls to manoeuvre in Super Mario 64 DS and am quite good at using said controls, I have no complaints about it. I just picture the analogue stick in my mind as being the circle pad that appears on the touch screen when you touch it and the touch pen, the circle pad being the 'placeholder' for the stick and the pen being the stick itself. This means that I am indifferent about the controls per se. But I do have to agree that it is annoying when you have to use Luigi's dash ability, you cannot use that if you aren't using a specific setup of controls, a setup that doesn't support moving via the touch screen.

The Game Engine
The game engine in Super Mario 64 is a game engine that has grown onto me during the recent years. I always tended to dislike it mainly because I was comparing it so much with Banjo-Kazooie's far more superior game engine, but then I eventually learnt how the engine worked in Super Mario 64, meaning I could actually start playing it without any interferences regarding the game engine. Now, because of this, the game engine of the original is so deeply stuck in me that I can't learn a new engine without me playing Super Mario 64 DS constantly for years, so that's unlikely to happen. I also think that fixing the Backwards Long Jumping glitch was a bad idea, because it was something I quite enjoyed playing around with, so there the remake gets a minus.

Other Stuff That Don't Really Make Their Own Header
More playable characters is a nice thing that the remake added and they also manage to incorporate that well in the missions and levels. So here the remake gets a plus.

The rabbits are a pain and there should never have been that many of them to begin with; I was fine with MIPS being the only rabbit in the game. So there the remake gets a minus. Only for the rabbits, I mean. The minigames you get when you catch the rabbits, however, are nice, so there the remake gets a plus.

The graphical update is nice and all, but it doesn't make the remake better just because it has better graphics than the original. Actually it feels less natural in the remake. I just can't put my finger on it, it just feels weird.

So, the verdict?

I like the original more than the remake, a verdict which is heavily based on the chunky and awkward game engine in the remake, and that the the graphics don't seem natural in the remake.
[hr/]
Baby Luigi said:
Snifit said:
The original. The DS' gameplay is way too hard for me, also they removed the glitches that were important, especially The Backwards Long Jump glitch.
Important? That was a gamebreaking glitch. You should be glad Nintendo fixes glitches. Hey, why not leave out a glitch for clipping?
Hey, glitches are fun. If they had a glitch that was as easily preformed as the Backwards Long Jumping glitch was that made you clip through everything, I'd so preform that glitch all day everyday.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Pi said:
Baby Luigi said:
Snifit said:
The original. The DS' gameplay is way too hard for me, also they removed the glitches that were important, especially The Backwards Long Jump glitch.
Important? That was a gamebreaking glitch. You should be glad Nintendo fixes glitches. Hey, why not leave out a glitch for clipping?
Hey, glitches are fun. If they had a glitch that was as easily preformed as the Backwards Long Jumping glitch was that made you clip through everything, I'd so preform that glitch all day everyday.
It's still horribly game breaking, like the Maka Wuhu one in Mario Kart 7. What I also dislike about it is the use of the glitch to claim the "fastest play-through of Super Mario 64". It's just not right.

Heck, if you think it's fun, they should not even try debugging the game at all.
 

RandomYoshi

Sweden? More like Memeden.
Chat Operator
Retired Wiki Staff
Baby Luigi said:
Pi said:
Baby Luigi said:
Snifit said:
The original. The DS' gameplay is way too hard for me, also they removed the glitches that were important, especially The Backwards Long Jump glitch.
Important? That was a gamebreaking glitch. You should be glad Nintendo fixes glitches. Hey, why not leave out a glitch for clipping?
Hey, glitches are fun. If they had a glitch that was as easily preformed as the Backwards Long Jumping glitch was that made you clip through everything, I'd so preform that glitch all day everyday.
It's still horribly game breaking, like the Maka Wuhu one in Mario Kart 7. What I also dislike about it is the use of the glitch to claim the "fastest play-through of Super Mario 64". It's just not right.

Heck, if you think it's fun, they should not even try debugging the game at all.
Well OK, I do agree that a game shouldn't be glitched all over and that I want the game to be playable and all, but hey, that's all I want. And the Maka Wuhu in Mario Kart 7 isn't bad at all. It's something that gamers found and then they used that information. That's all there ever was to it, but then people have to complain about them not 'getting it' and then Nintendo fixed something that didn't even need fixing at all. Oh and also, the fastest playthrough uses something that the developers overlooked? Blame the developers then, not the players who have learnt how to utilise the glitch to its maximum capacity to help them reach their time.

Heck, I can even explain why the Backwards Long Jumping glitch works while I'm at it. It works by the game taking your velocity and then calculating from that. And then, if you manage to place yourself in a position where you cannot be taken backwards, then it will just add the negative velocities until your velocity is so great that you cannot stay in one spot without being launched backwards. When you know this, your knowledge about the game as a whole increases, thereby allowing you to explain really weird cases in a way that makes sense.

And actually, there IS a way to skip collecting any more than 50 Power Stars in the remake. How? By wall jumping up the walls. Pfft, as if you ever needed to scale those stairs by walking.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Pi said:
Baby Luigi said:
Pi said:
Baby Luigi said:
Snifit said:
The original. The DS' gameplay is way too hard for me, also they removed the glitches that were important, especially The Backwards Long Jump glitch.
Important? That was a gamebreaking glitch. You should be glad Nintendo fixes glitches. Hey, why not leave out a glitch for clipping?
Hey, glitches are fun. If they had a glitch that was as easily preformed as the Backwards Long Jumping glitch was that made you clip through everything, I'd so preform that glitch all day everyday.
It's still horribly game breaking, like the Maka Wuhu one in Mario Kart 7. What I also dislike about it is the use of the glitch to claim the "fastest play-through of Super Mario 64". It's just not right.

Heck, if you think it's fun, they should not even try debugging the game at all.
Well OK, I do agree that a game shouldn't be glitched all over and that I want the game to be playable and all, but hey, that's all I want. And the Maka Wuhu in Mario Kart 7 isn't bad at all. It's something that gamers found and then they used that information. That's all there ever was to it, but then people have to complain about them not 'getting it' and then Nintendo fixed something that didn't even need fixing at all. Oh and also, the fastest playthrough uses something that the developers overlooked? Blame the developers then, not the players who have learnt how to utilise the glitch to its maximum capacity to help them reach their time.
I honestly think the Maka Wuhu glitch needed to be fixed. Not only is it cheating, it makes the noobs spam that place as well.

I would blame the developers about the glitch for not being thorough enough to debug the game, that is true. But glitching is similar to soft-modding the game. Literally anyone is able to softmod Mario Kart Wii today without any prior knowledge of coding and hacking. So you see these hackers online that utilize cheats to win. Same with glitchers. Anyone is able to glitch if they had known about it.

I just think the Backwards Longjump glitch is a clipping glitch. Maybe the negative velocity could contribute to it, but it's an issue with the clipping from what I have seen.
 

Koopayoshi

Shine Sprite
The graphics for both were decent. I just don't like the DS's because it's waaaaaay to pixely. I didn't like using the X/Y (I forgot) button to run. I perfer just using the A button to jump and the b button to attack. That being said, they're both the same to me.
 

Soundless Voice

Star Spirit
Banned User
I've only played the Wii demo of the original, and I don't know the differences between the demo (Technically VC) and the original, and the demo sucked, so I'd have to say DS, I wasn't really bothered by the controls until my DS' buttons didn't want to work, so now I play on my 3DS, so I like the DS one.
 

Baja

"Grand Master X-Naut 2.0"
I have both SM64 and SM64DS. I like SM64DS better, mainly because of the Heaven's Portal glitch. The superior graphics are in there to include. The 30+ stars I couldn't care less about, honestly, but I like how they added 3 new playable characters (Yoshi, Luigi, Wario)
 
Top